These are wierd

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: These are wierd
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By J on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 03:47 pm:

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 04:12 pm:

Ooh! I love that first site. I once made a friend a little booklet with clip art like that...and a mix tape to go with it, so each picture told a story that went along with a song...and the little bastard threw it out! Do you know how much work I put into that thing?! I slaved over it for days! Ungrateful wretch!

By Semillama on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 06:17 pm:

so you know, rhiannon, I save things like that in a handmade box.

*Big ass Hint*

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 06:35 pm:

Dude. If you knew how many times I've had to remake the cover to one of your tapes, you wouldn't make jokes like that.

Seriously, though...if you want something like that, I could do it...it would just delay your mix shipment date a whole lot.

By Semillama on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 08:13 pm:

I jyst want a tape. Now you have me worried about cover art. damn.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 08:54 pm:

My idea for this exchange was that we each create a mix that bears our own signature, so that I in this case will be receiving the archetypal Semillama mix, whatever that may be. Hence, if you don't normally worry about the cover, don't worry about the cover!

I'm one of those people who need rules for everything. And when there are no rules, I just make some up so I can say that I'm following the rules.

My 5 never-before-articulated rules for making mixes:

1) No two songs by the same band may touch [this is a damned annoying rule, and I wish I had never thought of it, but there it is and I just can't bring myself to break it]

Loophole: two songs by two bands that share the same singer may touch, but only under certain circumstances

2) The mix and each side of the tape must have clever titles [Cleverness to be determined by me, subject to whatever state of mind I am in at the time, even when said state is influenced by sleep deprivation, caffeine stimulation, and further unspecified giddiness]

3) Cover and inside liners must be visually appealing

4) If any band has a mildly famous single, it is FORBIDDEN to include said single on the mix [I broke this rule this time. I figured you had never heard either of the two singles on there, and they're really good songs anyway, so...there you go]

5) Songs must follow one another in an aurally /emotionally pleasant fashion [i.e., you can't have a really slow sad song followed by a loud happy song, because it would hurt your heart to change moods so quickly]

I would say something here about over-analyzing and self-discipline and effort better spent on writing papers, but I'm too tired. I'll go do my homework now.

By J on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 10:09 am:

Hurt your heart,I like that.

By Semillama on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 02:23 pm:

I genreally have been known to adhere to rules 2 and five. I sometimes break 4, but that's only in the case that the song is too damn good to leave off a tape. (I put Killing Joke's most famous song on your tape for example, but you still might not have heard it) I genreally don't make covers for mix tapes because the number of songs I cram on them necessitates using both sides of teh insert to write down all the titles, and one of my pet peeves is taking inserts out of cassettes and the cover art falling out, which is why I stopped doing it.

Rule #5 is one I think I actually do pretty well. I try to match not so much whole tunes but more so the beginings and endings, to create the sonci flow. Sometimes this means I break rule 1, but I think flow takes precedence.

One of my own rules is to avoid self-promotion, so I never stick tunes by any band I was in on a mix intended for someone else, unless specifically requested. I am totally for promoting my friends' bands (if they deserve it) and any worthy indie rockers I have seen.

I am currently engaged ina mix tape exchange between myself and my old bandmate back the UP. I have a whole concept going, with each tape covering a theme or style of music. The first one was music for dark moods, the next will be an upbeat reggae mix commemorating the Reggae fest we attended recently, and others will include classic "alternative" rock, punk, odditties, metal, hip-hop, celtic, and world music. Like I said, I have a lot of time to kill on the weekends.

The tape I have recieved from his end was alright, and the only complaint I have is the lack of the all-important flow.

Man, start talking about music and I write a book.

By Rhiannon on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 03:04 pm:

"Man, start talking about music and I write a book.".....well, I don't mind if you don't mind.

I used to get really clever and try to get the songs to flow thematically, so that, for example, Depeche Mode's "Blue Dress" would be proceeded by Morphine's "Whisper" ("Don't worry, I'm not looking at you, gorgeous, dressed in blue"), but it's kind of difficult to keep that up for a whole tape.

Another thing I don't like to do is leave empty space on the ends of each side, so I usually fill them with an instrumental piece that doesn't require you to hear the whole thing. Ninja Tune compilations (I don't what you'd call that kind of music...acid jazz or jungle...or something) are really good for that kind of thing. So is classical music. I've given you some of that Ravel concerto I've been bragging about.

Here's some more insecurity for you: a long time ago I realized how proud I was of my taste in music...I mean, I think I have good taste!...and that is like the one area of weakness I have. People can say anything about my taste in clothes, books, my personality, anything...and I don't mind. But man, tell me I have lousy taste in music, and it's like a punch in the stomach. I hope to God you like what you're getting.

And you *will* get it soon. Don't worry.

By Nate on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 06:03 pm:

i like you rules, spider.

i'll always slip in something of my own if i think i can get away with it.

By Semillama on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 10:09 pm:

Your mix is on its way, Rhiannon. I feel the exact same way. I try to find something bizarre to fill in space, though. A friend of mine turned me on to that by putting sound effects of dogs, cats, and people laughing on the end of a tape he gave me.

Speaking of getting away with it, Nate, I am still waiting for a mix from you as well, Put as much of your stuff on it as you want.

I never really considered the whole theme mix deal, with every song relating somehow. I think I have enough music now to attempt it as an experiment.

By Nate on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 03:02 pm:

i know sem. i just got the burner back online.

it will come.

(yours was a long time coming, if you recall..)

By Semillama on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 06:17 pm:

yeah, I know...

some folks never got theirs, the mail ate the discs. i am not too happy about that.

By Nate on Tuesday, September 28, 1999 - 01:48 pm:

that sucks.

we have an album, but it is not polished yet.

you want to wait for polish?

By Semillama on Friday, October 1, 1999 - 06:38 pm:

as a musician myself, I would like to have which version you are happiest with.

If I could redo our album, I would. I'd do it on at least a 16 track, borrow a better drum set and mike it better, layer more guitar and screw more with levels and add backing vocals. But we only had an eight track and limited time, so we did the best we could. Considering our bassist was inexperienced and playing cheap equipment, our drummer seriously needed new cymbals and a new snare, I was consumed with finishing school at the same time, and our singer had throat cancer at the time, it doesn't sound half bad.

Still, it's MY project and I can harp about what needs to be improved. Everyone else can just enjoy it.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact