Woo, hoo! Let's get back in the cage!

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Woo, hoo! Let's get back in the cage!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 05:55 pm:

By semillama on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 09:32 am:

What cage? The guy makes sense, at least through the filter of the article. Seems like he aroused the ire of the political feminists by pointing out flaws in the movement. A lot of times, people would rather get angry than admit there's room for improvement.

I bet Trace will have something interesting to add here, if he will write more than one line. Skooter I know has some experience to relate too if he wishes. WE are already familiar with Pilate's experience, which is referred to briefly in the article in the point about gay and lesbian parents often outperforming straight parents.

so, is anyone going to step up to the cage? Is that going to be necessary?

By Skooter on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 10:08 am:

In the cage....Yes I have been there, done that. It is an extremly biased and slanted court system that assumes that the male is not equal to the female as far as childrearing goes. I had to fight and fight and fight to get custody of my boy, and if he had not been abused horribly by her, I would have never gotten him back.
    The court system in this country takes in the worst possible light, and you are expected to prove that you are not a deadbeat. it's not fair, but that's the way it is.

By Trace on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

I agree with the article. I especially agree with this:
    "I said, 'Uh-huh. I see what this movement is about. It's about women having choices, not about fairness,'" recalls Farrell. "I definitely agree with choices for women, but I do not agree with choices for women when they eliminate choices for men. Rather, I think that the sexes need to make choices that lead to the maximum amount of win-win for both sexes."

That is exactly the way I feel. Every word of it.
    I agree with equal treatment.
    No extra anything for any sex or race.
    If you give free land to one race and not to another, that is not equal treatment.
    Single mothers can get more assistance then single fathers.
    Mothers still get preferiential treatment in custody cases.
    You have the Negro College Fund, the Black Panthers, Black Cacus, NCAA, etc., and these things are hailed as wonderful things, but (AND DO NOT THINK I AM DEFENDING THEM), but vilify the KKK. What is the difference between Black Panthers and KKK?
    You have plenty of women or black only clubs, but if you had a white male only club, you are just wide open for a discrimination lawsuit.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

Oh the discrimination against the KKK might have something to do with their long history of lynching, assaulting, murdering, and terrorising minorities.

Just a guess, of course.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 04:23 pm:

Huh? I thought that they were a dance troupe.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 04:27 pm:

You're confusing them with the famous singing troupe the Krispy Kansas Karaokers.

By Trace on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 07:08 pm:

That is thier history, yes. But not what they do now. All they do now is shoot their mouth off.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 07:13 pm:

how long have you been in the klan, trace?

By Antigone on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

If the Black Panthers had a decades long history of killing white people, we'd probably loathe them as much as we do the KKK.

But they don't.

So we don't.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Judging the KKK (or any organization or person) just on what they're doing now is foolish. If you ignore history you're doomed to repeat it, ya know...

By that logic George W should have pardoned Carla Faye Tucker.

By Trace on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

oh ha ha

By Pistol Pete on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 09:12 pm:

It's a pretty uninformed, to say the least, opinion that groups together "the Negro College Fund, the Black Panthers, Black
    Cacus, NCAA, etc.,"

The NCAA? National Collegiate Athletic Association? Do you mean the NAACP? It doesn't say much for your understanding of the organization if you don't know the name of it. I'm sure that you're very upset about the flag thing, right.

"Black Cacus"? Do you mean the Congressional Black Caucus? Do you know what they do? Very few informed people, if any, would confuse them with Black Panthers.

What's your problem with the United Negro College Fund? Did you go to college? Do you anything about college funding? What does that organization have to do with the Black Panthers?

At least try to understand a group or position before you attack it. Otherwise, your arguments are weak and your credibility is shot. Not that that should (or would) stop you from braying about your right to an opinion and your right to express it.

"I agree with equal treatment.
    No extra anything for any sex or race.
    If you give free land to one race and not to another, that is not equal treatment."
    You either don't realize or don't admit that you've been the beneficiary of unequal treatment your whole life. Understandably, you don't want that privilege to end with actual equality.
    And before you say "fuck you, you don't know me",
    fuck you. I do know you, jackass.

By agatha on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 09:48 pm:

i'm too lazy to read this thread right now. can anyone sum it up for me?

By dave. on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 10:59 pm:

girls against boys.

By Antigone on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 02:28 am:

shirts against skins.

By Trace on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 09:10 am:

If you know me, who are you?
    And excuse the hell out of me, but I have not been any beneficiary of any unequal treatment.
    All the organizations I mentioned are for one group only, that is what they have to do with each other.
    Where is the Congressional White Caucus?
    Where is the United Caucasion College Fund?
    I got no help what so ever when it came to college.
    My dad made $50 grand a year. Not enough to send me to college and not enough for me to qualify for financial aid. I had to go to Sallie Mae and pay 19% interest for 15 years. But I guess I've "been the beneficiary of unequal treatment (my) whole life".
    'Judging the KKK (or any organization or person) just on what they're doing now is foolish. If you ignore history you're doomed to repeat it, ya know... "
    Then forget the Russians (cold war, inhumane treatment of own citizens in the name of the common good, Chinese (inhumane treatment of own citizens in the name of the common good) and the Germans (Nazi's) and White Southern Farmers (Slave Owners).
    There are pleny other groups and organizations and nations that could fall under that category.
    Again, I think the KKK should disband and I am not defending their ideas or beleifs, but I dare anyone to run down the street screaming "White Pride!". That is herasy. But screaming "Black Pride" is considered honarable and courageous.

Diversity is a funny thing. It means unlike or different. And the idea of diversity is accepting ideas and views and people that are different then you or have a different view.
    What I think America has been trying to do is make everyone the same, not diverse. And if you have any ideas that are "different" then what is considered "PC", you are considered racist or discrimitory. Funny, I thought it was just "diverse".
    True diversity would embrace all views, regardless if you agreed with them or not.

By TBone on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 09:56 am:

You're half right. To judge people by what members of their race or country did in the past is unfair. They can't help what country they were born in or what their genetic makeup is...

But volountary groups are different. If KKK members didn't want to be connected with lynchings of the past, they wouldn't be KKK members. They could start a brand-new non-lynching white supremecists group.

"There are pleny other groups and organizations and nations that could fall under
    that category. "

Organizations and nations are very different in this sense. Your example of Germans and Nazis... You can't hold today's Germans accountable for past actions because they didn't chose to be gernams at all, let alone because of the beliefs and actions of the past... Neo-Nazis, however, are scum.

By patrick on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 11:52 am:

blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha ass blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha fuck blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha blaacha

By TBone on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 12:05 pm:

Yeah, that too.

Thanks.

By Nate on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

i just want to point out that my dad made a hell of a lot less than $50K a year and i got through college fine.

credit cards and selling drugs. I LOVE AMERICA.

furthermore, i've been on hold with telocity for a long time. telocity sucks my fucking nuts. they won't even let go of my contract so that I can get DSL from a company that actually provides working service.

fucking bastards.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 01:59 pm:

Sounds like me with MCI local service and trying to move. Never ever get a long distance carrier as your local service, unless you never plan on moving. They're beholden to the local phone company anyways, so they can't get shit done. I tried to have my service transferred to my new apartment, and after 6 weeks of promises and "escalating" the calls, I told them to fuck off and started afresh with good Bell Atlantic. Kept getting bills for 6 months for local service at my old apartment, which I never paid, and finally got expunged after 95 million phone calls to the MCI reps. On a happier note, my Verizon DSL is great -- not one problem, knock on wood.

By dave. on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 02:33 pm:

is it that pppoe crap or bridged ethernet?

By Dougie on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

winpoet

By patrick on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 03:11 pm:

dorks

By Pug on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

Hmmm----This was a chewy thread....I could give counterpoint to Skooter in that I've seen the other side of that legal tangle----having an extremely abusive stepfather who refused to pay child support to his 7-year-old son and then sued for partial custody when the kid decided he didn't want visitation anymore----he pulled all these strings to get a court-appointed shrink to declare my Mom & brother's counselor declared "invalid" because my Mom had "brainwashed" him and the two had conspired to "turn my son against me..."the simple reality of the fact was he sabotaged himself because when we all encouraged and supported visitation and a continued relationship with his father----and what he did with that visitation was used it all to pump this poor 7-year-old kid for info on what his Mom was doing....and cut us all down non-stop when he was stuck with him for a day. And you can't do that shit without it rubbing off on you in the worst way....
    But because my brother was intelligent and articulate for his age and expressed what his beefs were, my ex-stepdad used his personal spin to convince the court appointed shrink that my Mom had turned my brother against him and the court BOUGHT it. Luckily for my brother, my ex-stepdad couldn't keep up the facade in a counselor-supervised scenario for long before he showed his true colors.....
    My brother is 19, now----and that piece of shit can't touch him.

By dave. on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 04:31 pm:

By Dougie on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

I prefer the term "dweeb", Patrick.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

Or "gzorkus", makes no nevermind to me.

By agatha on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 12:41 am:

I'm still too lazy to read this. Working every single day does really bad things for me. I don't like it at all.

By J on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 04:24 pm:

This is all over my head.

By Pug on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 03:37 pm:

I'm partial to the term, "Rump-de-Dump", myself.....

By Cat on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 01:21 am:

Beautiful loser
    Where you gonna fall?
    When you realize
    You just can't have it all

By moonit on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 01:40 am:

We drink Farrells.

Named after our friend Wayne.

2 nips kahula, 1 on malibu.

I hate malibu but i love farrells.

over ice.

sip it.

yum

fuck i feel fucked

By A619Male on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 06:48 pm:

This is the strangest thing I have ever found on the internet. I put a search in for the Congressional Black Caucus and this is what comes up? Browsers WoW. It was truely a trip into never, never land. Thanks for the info.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact