Joplin

sorabji.com: Obscure Classical Composers: Joplin
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Perfidy on Monday, September 6, 1999 - 12:51 am:

A bridge never built he was. Oh well...

You can't fight city hall.

Solace...in its entirety as good as Moonlight in some ways?

By Sean Welch on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 10:55 pm:

Scott Joplin is not obscure although the Grandfather of Ragtime's name was abused by pianist Marvin Hamlish when he covered "The Entertainer" for movie "The Sting". Hamlish was often given full credit for the song which became a national hit for the second time in a century; D.J.'s often referred to the song as "The Sting"!
    There are many books with background about Scott Joplin and a very one is "This Is Ragtime" (Da Capo,1976,1991) by Terry Waldo, the protege of another great ragtime originator, Eubie Blake.
    For much more intresting interpretations of Joplin's work look for Itzahk Perlman and Andre Previn's album called "The Easy Winners, and Other Rag-Time Music of Scott Joplin" (Angel/E.M.I.,1975), it's a great record that goes a long way to play Joplin's music in a modern style instead of the cold boring production of Hamlish's rip-off. There is a series on Biograph Records from 1974 that puts on record Joplin's piano rolls. Many of these were made at the end of his life when his chops were not so good , but it's still intresting to hear these songs by his own hand.

By Jane on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 11:50 am:

I know what to give my father for Christmas, now. He doesn't have the Perlman/Previn album.
    Treemonisha (sp?) is Joplin's ragtime opera, not always easy to obtain, but worth finding. As far as I know, it's the one & only ragtime opera.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 08:38 am:

My favorite Joplin recording, I no longer have. It was an LP of Max Morath playing Joplins works. I don't think they ever pressed that onto a CD, although I wish they would. To me there is nothing more soothing than listening to Joplin.

By hydrozoa on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 08:02 pm:

god, i love to listen to it but i can't play joplin worth shit because my hands are so tiny. i can barely reach an octave comfortably, and "comfortable" means "once or twice a measure." :p i worked on maple leaf rag for about a year before i tried to perform it, and i had to cut out almost all of the repeats because my hands hurt so badly by the end...

now, i'm working on dr. john, who is all about tenths. fun.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 08:51 am:

I wish I could even play to the point where my hands hurt. I love music, but have never been able to read it or play it, save for guitar lessons in 9th Grade. I could play the Beatles, "Norwegian Wood."

"I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me?"

Incidentally, a 70-ish Irish Family Friend once told me he thought Norwegian Wood was the Beatles most beautiful tune, comparing it's composition to that of the great classical composers.

Ok. Did I just mention the Beatles in a Scott Joplin thread? Egads!

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 04:26 pm:

I thought you played the skin flute. Yes, no?

By hydrozoa on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 04:42 pm:

i love that. skin flute. masterful player of the pink oboe.

waitaminnit. flutes are played horizontally.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 06:46 pm:

I just love sorabjiiland! Skin-flute. Haven't "played" that in weeks.

By Yon Perfidy fellow on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 10:38 pm:

This thread giveth me Norwegian wood.

Oh, how my codpiece swelleth.

Actually, I used to get an unexplainable erection on the bus in younger years. What's with that?

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 08:16 am:

that was because you were always "longing for yesterday-ay-ay-ay, YESSSSSterday!"

By Perfidy on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 03:03 am:

I frankly would rather hear the Black interpretation of Joplin's work than I would a Jewish one. Just my preference. You are entitled to your own opinion.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact