when i typed this there were only three other entires, how upsetting!

sorabji.com: Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950: when i typed this there were only three other entires, how upsetting!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Random apparently the 2nd on Friday, April 17, 1998 - 04:03 pm:
    Thinking of Astrud Gilberto, listening to Stan Getz, and wishing that I had some Billie Holiday to go with it. Rather upsetting really. I just think that there's not much I could type other than that. To me it's beyond my critiquing ability, beyond words just like classical mucis. My friend Kym once told me that she didn't understand how you could listen to classic music when you were trying to sleep. She said that it was to amazing not to listen intently. I guess that's the best I can discribe it.

By
Greg on Tuesday, October 19, 1999 - 05:00 pm:

I'm looking for some good ol' down home gritty stuff...like the records that Crumb played in the movie "Crumb." ...anyone have any recommendations?

I can't forget the label .."Vocalion" ...only thin g is, I wouldn't know the artists...

Thanks
    G.

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 19, 1999 - 05:35 pm:

i saw the movie, but i do not recall the music per se, however, i suggest you hit an antique store, head for the old 78s, i mean the one's that shatter if you drop them, find an old hifi with a diamond tipped needle and have at it,

I recommend some Johnny Otis...at least thats what comes to mind when i think of "gritty, down home" music.......

By Fats on Tuesday, October 19, 1999 - 05:56 pm:

i'm a fan of r. crumb and the cheap suit serenaders.

By G on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 05:17 pm:

Months later but before the millenium ...Thanks waffles for the reply.
    Those old 78s ..ahh...carbon. If you saw "Crumb"...see how he has stacks of those things in shelves? Crazy.
    I have a friend that found an old record player at a swap meet. Really nice one, looked like a late 40's model or something. I found one too but it wasn't as nice as his. So we were playing some old blues on there and it sounded great. Last time I remember though, he took that thing apart and it looked like crap. Oh well ....so much for that.

By Patrick on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 05:25 pm:

i have an old magnavox hifi, it's in a cherry stained wood cabinet, it sits about 3 feet high with the trademark 50's tapered legs. the speaker is a tube so you have to wait thirty seconds or so before you have full sound....it has a diamond tip. The auto function doesn't quite work, or rather it's erratic. It usually will play the record over and over when it's done, however it drops the needle about 1/4" into the record. It's used to 78s. But the warm fuzzy sound that fucker produces (and man what good sound for something twice my age, you wouldn't believe the bass) is something everyone should experience, screw dvd, laser disc, digital yada yada yada.....thats all good an all for sya the b-boys or the new fatboy slim crap......BUT there is an inherent value in this old hifi and the records that are meant to be spun on it.....i scored mine for $15 at a thrift store many years ago when thrift stores still had clothes and crap from the 70s. Now all you find is ugly shit from the 80s...........

By Greg on Tuesday, November 20, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

Aw man it's amazing how these small conversations get preserved here, I mean it's almost 2002 and I'm looking at something I wrote back in '99.

Well the world has changed somewhat, of course, but my love for old old jazz still persists. Yes I love old hi-fi's, yes I love old blues. Yes one of my heroines was a heroin addict talkin about strange fruit.

I'm still here, just checking in. Anyone else out there dig the stuff I dig, say something.

By Greg on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 06:42 pm:

Wow, 2 years later and the last post was still by me. Trip. Anybody out there?

By patrick on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 07:11 pm:

coincidentally, my hi fi no longer works. i think the tube speaker finally blew.

i need to get it fixed.

it would be a fine addition to the baby room.

By Dougie on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 08:39 pm:

I love those old entertainment centers. Does yours have the golden frilly cloth on the front? I gotta get me one.

By patrick on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:27 am:

By Bigbob on Sunday, September 5, 2004 - 10:48 pm:

The glowing green signal strength tube sold me on mine. Call it a bad marraige, I'm going to create a sleeper system with my CD & ARs packed away inside just to keep using the turntable. They do a nice job heating a small room, no?

By BIG NOB on Sunday, September 5, 2004 - 11:01 pm:

I AM TRYING TO EAT MY OWN NOB,BUT MY MOUTH WONT GET THAT FAR,HOW DO I DO IT BIGBOB?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact