On The Eve Of The Beginning Of The End

sorabji.com: Where are you?: On The Eve Of The Beginning Of The End
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By WaitingForY2K on Friday, December 31, 1999 - 09:02 pm:

Hey,
    What's everyone doing this night?
    Getting ready for the big fart?
    I mean this is the last day before the first day of the last year of the past millineum.

By Rather on Saturday, January 1, 2000 - 02:20 pm:

obviouly they were doing something other than posting here

By cyst on Saturday, January 1, 2000 - 05:02 pm:

I was maudlin at midnight.

1. lemon drop
    2. lemon drop
    3. black butte porter
    4. bowl of pot
    5. margarita
    6. margarita
    7. long island iced tea
    (tears)
    8. champagne
    (more tears)

By Isolde on Saturday, January 1, 2000 - 11:01 pm:

I partied like it was 1999. Some chick fell onto a wood stove, so I spent the hours between 3:00am and 5:00am dealing with her. Not fun. The rest was a blast.

By Gee on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 02:01 am:

I already talked about what I did somewhere else. I had a nice evening.

By R.C. on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 04:33 pm:

I was on the couch w/Six & a bottle of champagne/& some wonderful scented candles burning in my living room/watching the world celebrate on CNN & PBS. It felt like the entire planet was partying together. I genuinely enjoyed it. The news coverage really did give me that warm One-World fuzzies feeling I used to get from watching the Olymics. Mark was right -- it was like the Olympics/but without all the politics & Nike ads.

I wish it had lasted longer. And I hope the "Fuck Y2K!" attitude everyone is exhibiting now doesn't come back & bite us all on the ass when the markets open on Monday.

By R.C. on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 04:34 pm:

Cyst:

What's in a Lemon Drop. Absolute Citron... & what else?

By Moonit on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 04:54 pm:

I was coming to post here on New Years Eve - Southern Hemisphere - New Zealand time but The Grump had pulled all the plugs on the computers cause he was paranoid. I have no idea what I would of said - something about tequilla shooters and yum Jack Daniels and a BBQ on our back lawn and I have vague recollections of the boys playing golf - well not actually golf but more like hit the little ball with the plastic golf club and try and knock someone out and hacky in the lounge at 11.00 which was fun - there was a water fight somewhere in between then everyone watched the tv to see all the excitement over the country. And it rained.

By cyst on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 05:23 pm:

r.c. - it tasted like lemonade. maybe that's it -- lemonade and absolut citron. he sugared the martini glass.

I'm writing a story about new year's eve in another window. it's called "failure." it's going to be melodramatic and awful. not even worth a story, but I have pictures to go with it.

I must go to the gym at 3. that is the important thing.

By Gee on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 05:49 pm:

When I turned on the computer jan 1st I noticed that the clock had been set back to Jan 1st, 1980. I wonder if my brother did that.

By semillama on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 10:34 pm:

You better hope so, otherwise you'll have 8 years of Reagan south of ya.

By Gee on Sunday, January 2, 2000 - 11:32 pm:

Actually, I'd have Mulroney ahead of me. he's much worse, believe me.

but then, I'm only three, so what do I know?

By J on Monday, January 3, 2000 - 09:50 am:

God,I really thought something real bad would happen,I had to go to Costco yesterday and take back the flashlight.propane stove,and peanuts that I thought would be my salvation,I drank the last of my champange before I went,as usual I embarresed my husband,he told he cute kid at the return desk that he could dress me up,but can,t take me out.

By Patrick on Monday, January 3, 2000 - 01:23 pm:

in a house in the San Bernadino mtns. Wood stove a blazin, doing sinatra and stones kareoke, living up to Lucy's title of COKEHEAD, smoking more pot than necessary, enjoying Polish sausages, jack and cokes, ate a few caps and stems, took a few valiums to come down, passed out at 5 am.....brought in the new year with all kinds visuals and sensations, numbed myself good and well for the impending chaos...no such luck, we were had!

it was a white new years, snow on the ground, 12 degrees outside. the mountains were amazing, took a 5 mile hike up to cougar crest, the view of the lake and the mountains, absolutely stunning.....i wussed out of snowboarding, i only had jeans and a pea coat, one fall and I am a wet, sloppy, sick puppy. next time i will have water proof clothes.

i love big bear, can't wait to go back,

By J on Monday, January 3, 2000 - 02:33 pm:

I went out last New Years,won tickets to Game Works for 5 hours and a free diner and 2 free drinks.I was so excited,I wore a slinky silver and black dress,we had called a cab company days in advance,drank 2 bottles of champange before the taxi came,when she came she was a hour late,then when she dropped us off,she flat out told us that she wasn,t going to pick us up,that she could make more $ on Mill Ave,after my husband gave her a $20.00 tip.So we drank our drinks,called Ryan to get us and went home,no dinner,no games,no fun.

By Isolde on Monday, January 3, 2000 - 07:20 pm:

Partied like it was...well...er...1999, except that we didn't have any Prince. Or the Artist, or whatever I'm supposed to call him. I think he wrote 1999 when he was still Prince. Anybody anybody? Set off some illegal fireworks, watched people get outrageously smashed...a beautiful night. Mostly.

By semillama on Monday, January 3, 2000 - 08:01 pm:

I saw Kid Rock's and Ted nugent's bare Asses.

Kill me, please.

By Nelly on Monday, January 3, 2000 - 08:29 pm:

Anyone who's really an I.T. professional was working at the fateful hour, monitoring things, running tests, and getting paid triple time for it of course. This can be a badge of honor you can tell your grandchildren about -- how you worked through the night to assure that in the new century, the computers we depended on for our very lives would be working just fine.

I, on the other hand, was at the Ritz Carlton in Atlanta. I dressed up in a beaded thing. I took the party shoes with me in a bag and checked them with the conceirge (the bellboys are hilarious), then we took Marta over to "first night" and checked it out and saw 15 minutes of this and that. Then we came back, I put on the party shoes,and checked in with the boys and drank a bit. It was a private party, and so dull that I bolted out before midnight and went down and watched the peach fall with the common folk. There was a man standing nearby with a little boy, he was the one I remember. He had a mustache, and looked like he might be Turkish or something. He was very quiet and it really seemed to mean something to him. There was also a wino who was dispensing philosophy and cleaning up in the donations department. Everyone was in a generous mood. There were far too many cigars. Even the policemen had them. What's this business? I thought cigars were passe now. Of course, passe can take up to 20 years to catch up with Atlanta... In spite of the party shoes, I was jumping up and down and noisy and ok a wee bit euphoric. Being in a crowd at events like this always does something like that to me.

By Patrick on Tuesday, January 4, 2000 - 12:07 pm:

"Of course, passe can take up to 20 years to catch up with Atlanta..."

no not really, it's a fairly progressive town, at least more so than most people who have never lived there give credit for.

By J on Tuesday, January 4, 2000 - 12:20 pm:

Cigars,coffee houses,middle age yuppies riding Harleys that seems to be the thing to do if you can,t think for yourself,and the power
    of stones,it,s pitiful.

By Nelly on Tuesday, January 4, 2000 - 08:29 pm:

the power of stones?

the kinds with karats?

the kinds dropped off of freeway underpasses?

the kinds in your kidneys?

the kinds with mystic vibrational properties?

By R.C. on Tuesday, January 4, 2000 - 09:01 pm:

ROFL! Hey Nelly. {{}}

I think he means the dopes who believe certain stones (rose quartz -- said to be good for practically anything), agate, certain crystals & semi-prescious stones, etc./have "mystic vibrational qualities".

Funny, though: If if you make them close their eyes/place a stone in a velvet bag & put it in their hands/these b.s. mystics can never tell you what type of stone it is fron the "vibes" it supposedly gives off.

Like the little girl who set up that experiment & proved all those "psychic/energy/chi/chakra/ healers" were phonies.

I swear -- there's a sucker born every minute. And two a minute on Sundays.

By J on Tuesday, January 4, 2000 - 09:49 pm:

You got it R.C.,the kind with karats are all good with me.Why does everyone think I,m a man?

By R.C. on Tuesday, January 4, 2000 - 11:07 pm:

Becuz people associate single-initial names with men. For reasons unknown to me.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 5, 2000 - 10:08 am:

I think most people associate things without specifically female connotations to men.

did that make sense?

ever notice how most animals at the zoo are "he" and "him"?

By J on Wednesday, January 5, 2000 - 12:16 pm:

What about the Story of O?

By MapleLeaf on Wednesday, January 5, 2000 - 07:49 pm:

Cyst......think about it. Most animals at the zoo are "he" and "him" because "she" and "her" are too cunning to get caught.

Just so you would know :)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact