Favourite Pubs

sorabji.com: Where are you?: Favourite Pubs
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 08:51 pm:

I'm about to go to lunch at this top pub. The Royal Oak. It's a beautiful old building and they have lovely wooden fittings that make me feel like I could be anywhere.

What's the name of your favourite pub and what does it look like?

By dave. on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 09:06 pm:

I just went to the swiss last night to see nomeansno play. it's a really nicely renovated place with good beer on tap and some very tasty food too.

i rarely go out anymore. i can't afford the beer and i seem to have nothing in common with real people. they can tell.

By Hal on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 11:36 am:

I went to "The Ritz" last night, it was "bluegrass free beer wednesday." Got intoxicated, left "pub" at 2, went to friends house ended up talking while there till about 5:45am... So when I left I just came to work, closer than home and no point in going home for a measly hour's worth of sleep right...

I feel like I was stepped on by something large, perhaps a whale, or mack truck, or something like that.

By J on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 11:52 am:

I feel your pain:) bummer.

By Czarina on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

Well,better to have been stepped on by it,rather than to have to wake up with it next to you in bed.

By Dougie on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

They closed down this divey bar near me a couple of weeks ago, The Asgard. Right on the water, with picnic tables on the deck (although nobody ever hung out there), and a pool table inside, and darts. Typical bar, good jukebox, and they weren't stingy with the booze. Run by a friendly 50-something Irish couple, woman tough as nails, and her hen-pecked husband, I was sorry to see it go. Now all I've got close to me are "Sports Bars".

By Hal on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 03:13 pm:

I live in a very liberal college town, there are some pretty kickin places in Missoula... I just have to find some of them, I found "The Ritz" by accident, but I'm glad I did its a nice place.

By Dougie on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 06:18 pm:

Do you ever

a) Buy cold beer on your way home, even though you've got warm beer at home that you forgot to put in the fridge, just because you don't want to wait for it to chill in the freezer?

b) Buy cigarettes at the drive-thru instead of the 7-11 even though it's 65 cents more expensive, just because it's raining out and you don't feel like getting out of your car?

c) Buy a whole shitload of groceries for dinner, and end up ordering Domino's because you're too lazy to cook?

d) Not take the 2 minutes extra to brew your coffee in the morning to take with you on your commute, because there's a bagel shop right across the street where they make much worse coffee for .85/cup? By the way, I never noticed it, but there's no cents sign on an American computer keyboard, whereas I believe there's one on a typewriter. Weird. I wonder if above the "4" key on British keyboards if there's a pound sign?

e) Wear the same clothes you wore yesterday to work because it's a hassle figuring out in the dark of the morning something different to wear today that matches?

Damn, I'm a lay-zee mofo.

By dave. on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

¢

By Dougie on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

I'll buy that key off you for 50 cents.

Actually, found it -- Alt+155
    ¢

Döùgîe

By Dougie on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

Damn, I remember when my wife used to type in French, and she had all those Alt+Numkeys down pat for the accents, didn't even have to look. That was back in the days of DOS & WP5.1. She rocked that keyboard.

By Cat on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 07:18 pm:

Would somebody please explain how you get those extra symbols. I don't get it.

By Dougie on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 07:37 pm:

Hold down the Alt key, then (with the Num Lock key enabled) type 155 or 144, or any number between 0 and 255 (it must on the number pad). They are the ascii regular & extended codes for these symbols. Regular letters start at 65.

By dave. on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 08:06 pm:

start menu + run + type "charmap" + ok

voilá!

anyone know if there's a unix equivalent to charmap?

By dave. on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 08:08 pm:

windows 2k has a rad assortment of special characters.

By pez on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

character maps are fun...they can be highly useful.

By Nate on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 01:14 pm:

you use a character map to get from strom thurmond to kevin bacon in six steps, right?

By J on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

My favorite pub is long gone,the charm of Mill Ave. has been taken over by big corporations,but it was called the Casa Loma,I had to sneak in through the back door because I was underage.It was huge and the walls were sprayed with some kind of foam that turned hard,so that it looked like a cave.I use to see my husband there and he would always try to pick me up,so did his friends,but I never really "met" him till he picked me up hitch-hiking,and that's another story.They used to have shots of tequilla on wed.'s for a quarter a shot,I also got arrested for fake i.d. there,and Shaunna the bitch's mother came and got me out.Because I was so well liked,even after I got busted there,they never would kick me out.Now I go to Famous Sam's,cause it's close to my house and I like playing the trivia game,the food stinks.

By patrick on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 02:46 pm:

mine is in atlanta. cant find a site. its called Emmanuels. wait.....no i gotta make it a draw between that and Yacht Club also in the ATL. Emamnuels is dark, hardwood walls and booths...been there since ...i think the 20s. Politicians are known to saddle up....Jimmy Carter is known to drop in from time to time. They have great burgers....and great beer on tap.

LA has few pubs......like we all come to expect when we say "pub"

By Hal on Friday, March 23, 2001 - 05:35 pm:

For linux/unix I think its the charedt... But I'm probably wrong, seeing as I've got a really fucked up kernel.

By semillama on Saturday, March 24, 2001 - 02:13 pm:

I need to find a new favorite pub here in Columbus. A guy I work with is down with the local scene and I think I will follow his leads. There's a good jazz/blues place I may check out tonight, and I've already been to a comfy little bar called the R bar. I have yet to check out any of the music venues, though, maybe that's on tap for tonight.

Been to a couple different bars over in Leetsdale, PA, where I worked last week. One was Val's Pub and Grub, which was a dirty and comfortable working-class joint with a sign on the front for an upcoming all-male revue. They kept running out of all the different beers, but they had good 45 cent wings. Per Diem is a lovely thing.

By Czarina on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 09:51 am:

I'm in the prepatory process of my adventure with J,[hence the sunburned cakes],and am going to brush up on my drinking skills,starting this week-end,as I don't want to be left behind,passed out in some Mexican Cantina.

By Dougie on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 10:20 am:

Semillama, if that's Columbus, Ohio you're talking about, try Larry's Bar & Grill & Seminar on N. High Street near Lane Avenue. Let me know what you think if you go there.

By Dougie on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 10:25 am:

Oh, and ask for Becky the bartender.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact