Catch-22

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: Catch-22
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Dan The Man on Sunday, March 8, 1998 - 11:49 pm:
    It was defintely the funniest book I ever read.
    You are ALL crazy. no you are crazy. why. you say people are trying to kill you. they are!. no they aren't. then why are they shooting at me. they are trying to kill everybody. well, i don't want to fight anymore, i won't fly anymore missions. What if everybody thought the same as you? well, if everybody thought that, i'd be a damn fool to think anything else.

Read the book, if you haven't already. Top ten list of all time.

By Pete Lukow on Monday, April 20, 1998 - 12:13 am:
    I'm reading it right now, and it is indeed funny. I was talking with my mother's boyfriend about the book. He asked me, "Do you think Joseph Heller was ever in the army?"

"I'm not too sure," I said.

"I think he was. He sure has the attitude down. I knew a couple of the people in that book."

I guess it was all like that. He wasn't even in WW2; he was in Viet Nam. But, I guess it's all like that, all the time.

A few more neat war books: Slaughterhouse-Five, by Vonnegut; The Things They Carried, by O'Brien. Both very powerful books.

By Jed on Saturday, May 9, 1998 - 07:23 pm:
    fabulous movie too, if it wasn't for the crappy tape version I got from blockbuster and the tracking problem. But It was an enthralling film. I think I finished watchingn it at about 2 in the morning, immedietely after watching another movie. Great Charles Grodin before he went talk show.

By PetRock on Sunday, May 10, 1998 - 12:50 pm:
    Joseph Heller was in the Army Air Force -- he enlisted in Oct. 1942.

The book was published in 1961 though.

By
Jon on Thursday, December 24, 1998 - 09:11 pm:

my favorite book of all time. sweet, harrowing, tragic and ultimately uplifting. plus the structure of the novel itself is unconventional and inspires much in my cramped little writer's heart. i reread it every couple of years to remind myself of how high the bar is set.

By Pug on Wednesday, July 28, 1999 - 12:15 pm:

Yes----CATCH-22 is an all-time great....knocks me out every time I read it. It's true, not only in the military, but possibly in any JOB you'll ever hold. Another great Heller book if you ever run across it is SOMETHING HAPPENED. It isn't as colorful or funny as CATCH-22 but it's just very morbid and obsessive and takes on the kind of life a lot of people feel trapped in....the ending is a complete shocker and it absolutely NAILED me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact