Lonesome Standard Time

sorabji.com: Last book you read: Lonesome Standard Time
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 12:04 pm:

by Dana Andrew Jennings

Here's the first chapter:

"Hunt's Station vanished from maps years ago, and faded from memory before that, even. Isn't captured on any road signs either, except those so weary and so weather-whipped you can't read them...or trust them. The towns next door barely remember their neighbor. To them Hunt's Station isn't a town at all but a rumor of a town -- like an older step-brother you've heard stories about but never met. To get to Hunt's Station, you either have to be born to it or unlucky. The town squats off a logging trail off a washboard, which is off an exit of an exit to a two-lane road that sees maybe twenty cars a day...fewer on weekends. One way in, one way out. Hunt's Station is a place where the rumble of heavy trucks lulls the men to sleep most nights and keeps the women awake...where black heartwounds fester and dark springs mutter in the deep woods...where soot-peppered goblin snow, misshapen and rock-hard, prevails till June...where old-time fiddlers coax timber rattlers into their fiddles and banjo pickers blister the strings till their fingers bleed...where the air is always tarnished by smoke from Fire Town...where men limp and are missing fingers...where ghost rails coil into town and just stop...where you swear the raincrows can talk and sometimes, even, run the town. No babies have been born in Hunt's Station for nearly twenty years; and all the dogs and cats are so old they don't chase each other anymore. When the schoolhouse burned a few years back, the town didn't rebuild. No one complained. And the churches -- once there were a half-dozen in town -- have either burned or been spurned and abandoned. In Hunt's Station, the women's faces burn with fierce beauty carved by decades of betrayal and sadness; touch one of those sharp, saint faces, take away a bleeding hand. Those women...they put on their old gray dresses to waltz together in the pouring rain. They always stop to listen to the whine of a distant train, no matter what they're doing. They smile and nod at crow gossip, but shudder at the remembered moan of a full-moon owl. Not a one of them cries anymore -- those rivers dried long ago -- but most of them play fiddle...sobbing fiddle...fiddle that wails with the cries of too many babies left unborn. You can see it as they play, fiddle cradled between chin and shoulder. The skin tightens over keen cheekbones and smolders fever red as the fiddle bow dips and the fiddle bow saws. And when they close their eyes, those deep wells of sadness, they cross over the line...and they're on Lonesome Standard Time."

The book's like a Tom Waits story in prose. Totally awesome.

By Waffles on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 12:12 pm:

Collages by Anais Nin..

Kinda boring, her writing is so god damned descriptive which is good but at the end of the page you often forget what the hell she was describing. The book is just that though "Collages". a short book about a woman, she is painter, and the painter "paints "collages" of her circle of friends. It's beautiful at times, and sexy as well, but not as rewarding as I had hoped.

By Rhiannon on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 12:18 pm:

Anais Nin annoys the hell out of me. Granted, the only thing I've ever read of hers were her diary entries when she met Henry Miller and his wife...but there was something fundamentally pretentious to her writing style that made me dislike her immediately.

Desription is a tricky thing. There's a writer I like, Stephen Millhauser, who goes insane with detail. But he does it in a way that's almost religious, like he's reciting a litany. But in anyone else's hands, the things he describes (like the board for the game of Clue in one story) would be utterly boring.

But, um, didja like that chapter I posted?

By Waffleboy on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 01:13 pm:

yeah it was interesting, bleak and grey, yeah....VERY grey to me.

I have to agree half heartedly about Anais. I think she took to much from Henry, I have book called the Henry Miller Reader. Basically it's divided into four sections..People, Places and two others I forget.

tlak about elaborate, senusal description. Henry pulls it off and the initial idea still manages to stick. Anais lost me a lot and I found myself going back to the previous page.

Henry is one of my favs right now as is Richard Brautigan. Right Now I am Reading his tri-combo book Trout Fishing in America/In Watermelon Sugar/The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster.

It's pretty good, very surreal. I highyl recommend his book "The Abortion a Romance" God he is so playful and funny with his words. He plays with them much like my cats tangles with my underwear and socks on the floor.

Henry on the other hand, I have to admit that there are very few authors that can draw a hard on from me or draw a laugh outloud...He does both (as Richard makes me laugh outloud) I recommend a book often over looked by Miller fans. Its called Under The Roofs of Paris. He was given a dollar a page to write a dirty story. Oh my gawd, even though some of the things he describes doing would be considered rape and incest, it's such a turn on, he even goes as far as peeing inside these various women and such, regardless, READ IT, keep it by the bed, enjoy....my wife agrees with me even though initially you might hesitate due to the reality of some of the scenarios, in a fantasy setting the are hot

By Rhiannon on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 05:11 pm:

Whoa. That sounds kind of, um, intense. I may have to psych myself up for reading that one. Not to mention getting the nerve to check it out from the library. I read "Tropic of Cancer" at the library, because we have really nosy check-out people, and I didn't want to deal with the "oooohhh, HENry MILler" crap.

I didn't like "Tropic of Cancer." The only redeemable part of the book was the three or so pages where he talks about reveling in his inhumanity. The rest was rather uninteresting. And mildly offensive.

But my favorite thing by Miller is that weird essay/prose poem found in old editions of "The Wisdom of the Heart" called "Finale." Have you read it?

By Rhiannon on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 05:16 pm:

And I think I said this before, but "In Watermelon Sugar" is one of the most beautiful -- and one of my most very favorite -- things I've ever read. I tried a book of Brautigan's novellas (I can't remember the title, but there was something about Confederate soldiers..???), but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Are his other books as good as IWS?

By Waffleboy on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 05:39 pm:

well I am only halfway thru it, Like i said the Abortion-A Romance is incredible.....I read in about 3 hours, but he reads that way. I also have Tokyo Montany Express, acollection of short stories, very humerous and very brilliant, again, very playful. Are the librarians where you live that way, geeeeze............

I am surprised about Tropic of Cancer it's one his best books, Also, there is Sexus, Plexus and Nexus a three book series, i have only finished Sexus, which is fantastic, except i got to the end and realized I was missing about 80 pages. So actually the store got my new copy in today. He is so rich, so sexually charged, so intense at times, so transient, he is aboslutely my fav, but then again I am very hard to offend so what do ya know. Have you ever seen the movie henry & june? It's really great. A friend has an orginal painting of his, and he has a museum and gallery in Big Sur, where he lived out the last 20 years of his life, much like Brautigan did...it's supposed to be absolutely beautiful, my wif ean di wann make the drive soon.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact