The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook

sorabji.com: Last book you read: The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 11:31 am:

Check out this table of contents:

1. Great Escapes and Entrances
    *How to Escape from Quicksand
    *How to Break Down a Door
    *How to Break into a Car
    *How to Hot-wire a Car
    *How to Perform a Fast 180-Degree Turn with Your Car
    *How to Ram a Car
    *How to Escape from a Sinking Car
    *How to Deal with a Downed Power Line

2. The Best Defense
    *How to Survive a Poisonous Snake Attack
    *How to Fend Off a Shark
    *How to Escape from a Bear
    *How to Escape from a Mountain Lion
    *How to Wrestle Free from an Alligator
    *How to Escape from Killer Bees
    *How to Deal with a Charging Bull
    *How to Win a Sword Fight
    *How to Take a Punch

3. Leaps of Faith
    *How to Jump from a Bridge or Cliff into a River
    *How to Jump from a Building into a Dumpster
    *How to Maneuver on Top of a Moving Train and Get Inside
    *How to Jump from a Moving Car
    *How to Leap from a Motorcycle to a Car

4. Emergencies
    *How to Perform a Tracheotomy
    *How to Use a Defribillator to Restore a Heartbeat
    *How to Identify a Bomb
    *How to Deliver a Baby in a Taxicab
    *How to Treat Frostbite
    *How to Treat a Leg Fracture
    *How to Treat a Bullet or Knife Wound

5. Adventure Survival
    *How to Land a Plane
    *How to Survive an Earthquake
    *How to Survive Adrift at Sea
    *How to Survive When Lost in the Desert
    *How to Survive If Your Parachute Fails to Open
    *How to Survive an Avalanche
    *How to Survive If You Are in the Line of Gunfire
    *How to Survive When Lost in the Mountains
    *How to Make Fire Without Matches
    *How to Avoid Being Struck by Lightning
    *How to Get to the Surface If Your Scuba Tank Runs Out of Air

Does this book kick ass or what? It's got pictures and everything.

By J on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 11:39 am:

Yea,it sounds good to me,I,m not lucky to begin with.

By Nate on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 11:40 am:

woah.

i mean, la-te-da. nothing we didn't learn in SEAL training.

By MapleLeaf on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 11:45 am:

Sounds like a book written by Q for James Bond?

Where did you find it? Is it on the net?

By Simon on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 11:50 am:

Do they offer a refund if the bear catches you and eats your ass?

By Rhiannon on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 11:58 am:

I found it at my local bookstore. I saw a little review of it in an old People magazine and knew that I had to get it.

It's by Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1999. ISBN 0-8118-2555-8

There's a website for the publisher that has a catalog:
    http://www.chroniclebooks.com/cgi-bin/Adult/view.cgi?isbn=0811825558

Here's a taste:

HOW TO JUMP FROM A BRIDGE OR CLIFF INTO A RIVER

1. Jump feet first

2. Keep your body completely vertical.

3. Squeeze your feet together.

4. Enter the water feet first, and clench your buttocks together. If you do not, water may rush in and cause severe internal damage.

5. Protect your crotch area by covering it with your hands.

6. Immediately after you hit the water, spread you arms and legs wide and move them back and forth to generate resistance, which will slow your plunge to the bottom. Always assume the water is not deep enough to keep you from hitting bottom.

Be aware:
    *Hitting the water as described above could save your life, although it may break your legs.

*If your body is not straight, you can break your back upon entry. Keep yourself vertical until you hit the water.

*Do not even think about going in headfirst unless you are absolutely sure that the water is at least 20 feet deep. If your legs hit the bottom, they will break. If your head hits the bottom, your skull will break.

By Czarina on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 12:40 pm:

How do you survive if you are in the line of gunfire?[That could be something handy to know.]

By Markus on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 12:55 pm:

You get out of the way. Take my word for it.

By simon on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 05:48 pm:

Just remember this: if the author is not willing to personally give an actual demonstration, he's completely full of shit.

On a related note, my new bestseller, "How to Make Grouse Jambalaya with a .44 Mag and Only Two Bullets" will be available online in the near future. Call my publisher for details.

By Fb on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 06:01 pm:

Clench your buttocks to.....hehehe

By Rhiannon on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 06:42 pm:

The authors consulted many (right, Nate) Navy SEALS, locksmiths, wildlife experts, stuntmen, doctors, and other knowledgable people to compile the info. in their book, so it should all check out.

The book is now missing (I think my bro. stole it while I was gone this afternoon, and now he (and it) are in NYC). But this is what I remember from the "how to get out of the line of fire" entry:

1. Run in a zig-zag pattern away from the shooter as far away as you can. The shooter will not be accurate at a distance of more than 60 feet, unless s/he has training.

2. Get behind a parked car (if outdoors) or a desk (if indoors), unless the gun in question is a rifle, in which case try to get around the corner of a building or indoor wall.

3. If you are outside, there are no cars around, and there's no time to duck behind a wall, lie in the street in the gutter.

4. Try everything you can to protect your head.

By WWTW on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 08:47 pm:

If someone's shooting at me I'm going to
    clench my buttocks, grab my crotch
    and GET THE FUCK OUTA DODGE!

By Isolde on Friday, January 7, 2000 - 11:43 pm:

Gee. That knowldge could have been useful. I just ran.

By simon on Saturday, January 8, 2000 - 01:19 pm:

Actually, the best way to survive in the line of fire is to return it. Make the other asshole clench his cheeks and zig-zag. But what the fuck do I know, I never wrote a book.

By Czarina on Saturday, January 8, 2000 - 01:36 pm:

He needs to grab his crotch,too.

By Spider on Saturday, January 8, 2000 - 01:52 pm:

If water can...errr...invade your colon when you plunge into the river, won't it go up your nose, too? You can't tell me that exhaling as you hit the water at that speed will keep the water out of your nose.

I think it should read "cover your crotch area with one hand and plug your nose with the other. Keep your elbow tucked in close to your body or else your shoulder could be dislocated from the force of entry."

By Czarina on Saturday, January 8, 2000 - 01:58 pm:

Addendum: Keep eyes tightly closed on impact----so they don't "pop" out.

By J on Sunday, January 9, 2000 - 02:00 pm:

How I wish I could remember the French (figures)guy who became famous all over the world for his farting abilities.

By CosmicDebris on Sunday, January 9, 2000 - 06:15 pm:

While doing all that covering, holding, and tucking - how are you going to kiss your ass goodbye?

By Spider on Sunday, January 9, 2000 - 06:54 pm:

You're not. You're going to survive the impact, out-swim the alligators and poisonous snakes, escape the killer bees, break into a car, and drive away.

By Bk on Sunday, January 9, 2000 - 08:57 pm:

By Czarina on Sunday, January 9, 2000 - 11:30 pm:

"J", I've actually got an article on the guy you're talking about. He used to do a show on the Moulin Rouge. One of the G.I. doctors I work with gave it to me.I was at an insevice, picking up extra credits and got up and "shared" it with the rest of the staff.It was quite a talent he had. I'll dig it out and post it for you.

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 12:08 am:

Right on,I would have loved to see his act.

By Czarina on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 12:16 am:

"J" are you up? Let me know and I'll call you!

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 01:17 am:

Good hearing from you sweetcheeks:)

By Czarina on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 01:31 am:

It's always good to hear your voice.God knows we had our fair share of adventures!

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 01:45 am:

Come on Czarina lets rip Shaunna!

By Czarina on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 01:51 am:

You mean the anal-retentiveness of the aging ex-model world?

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 01:57 am:

Yes the I am perfect even though I,m knocked kneeded and pigion toed and most my teeth aren,t mine syndrome.

By Czarina on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 02:01 am:

Don't forget its frightening to look at me without my make-up.And now I'm a CEO-----Cunt-Extra-Ordinare
    I always felt sorry for Kee, what a horrible way to spend the rest of your life!

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 02:22 am:

I feel sorry for her little 5 year old girl being her daughter I,m sure she will kill her for her credit cards some night.

By Czarina on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 02:32 am:

She won't like it one bit if that poor child grows up to be more attractive than her.
    I just checked out that site you sent me, and I spotted you right off.Thats not just a bitch, but an ignorant bitch.Bet she's alot of fun at a party.

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 03:02 am:

After I saw that,I sent her an email and let her know I was a bitch when she was just a gleam in her daddy,s eyes,I told her that I was going to come after her with the salami and dogs.

By Markus on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 09:18 am:

When I was in Sarajevo, the theory from my ex-SAS bodyguard was that it takes a sniper a second and a half to home in on a moving target, so the recommended course of action was to intersperse your zigzagging with a dead stop (so to speak) and then take off again. If there's anyone out there who can do this, they're a better person than I. Every time I was getting pegged at by those cocksuckers, the natural instincts to move at top speed and to get behind a building or armored vehicle worked just fine, thank you very much.

And as one who's been shot at dozens of times, a desk would be near the bottom of my list for cover from anything other than a BB gun. In a close-in office environment, you'd be better off just going after the prick.

By J on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 01:44 pm:

Markus aren,t you from New Zealand? BK....thanks,you must have posted that after Czarina and I were tanked and talking trash,Canadians are nice too:)

By Czarina on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 04:09 pm:

I think it would indeed be very difficult to stand still while being fired upon.It must be one of those things that work well in theory,but don't cut it in real life.Kinda like Communism.

By L on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 07:55 am:

HMMMM- I would truly like to add something insightful about either being shot at or jumping into water as you guys are obviously really good at talking shit about shit. Unfortunately i just came out of my history exam so i'm all bullshitted out, all i can say is that when your being chased by a crocodile you have to run in zig zag lines ( though you probably all know that) and i suggest to anyone being shot at that they rapidly decide they do believe in God( just in case all that crap is true) and your real sorry for all the shit you did to other ppl
    ok bye L

By Markus on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 08:38 am:

No, I'm from Burkina Faso (formerly Upper Volta) by way of Borneo, but now living near Washington, DC. Never heard of "New Zealand".

By simon on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 10:27 pm:

Next time you're in Silver Spring, stop by & say hi to the folks for me.

By Markus on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 09:04 am:

Already did. We're planning a little Groundhog's Day soiree, small but tasteful. They say you never write. Oh, and your mom gave me your old Star Wars cards.

By Patrick on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 11:51 am:

there is agreat record store i used to hit when i visited DC, it was in silvers springs, called Vinyl Ink.......they had EVERYTHING, albeit overpriced, but any rarity you were looking for they had it. Is it still there?

By Markus on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 01:33 pm:

By Patrick on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 01:40 pm:

that kinda sucks. The website is a big piece of shit. I miss being able to browse the store and ogle the goodies, and actually get my hands on the vinyl. Before buying any vinyl, i need to get my hands on it first.....oh well.........

By simon on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 09:53 pm:

That's OK, they weren't really my Star Wars cards anyway. I stole 'em from Davie Artino's gym locker during fifth period.

By Markus on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 10:06 pm:

And going back to the ostensible topic, bulletproof vests are mostly worthless. If you've ever put one on and expected to need it, you become acutely aware of everything that's sticking out of it.

"I told her that I was going to come after her with the salami and dogs." I just saw that. J wins phrase o' the week.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact