Harry Potter

sorabji.com: Last book you read: Harry Potter
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Kiara on Wednesday, February 28, 2001 - 02:01 am:

it was kid's stuff but it was amazing!!!

By The Watcher on Monday, March 5, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

They're to good to be called childrens literature.

I don't mind admitting I've loved every one of them. And, I don't have any kids.

By Nate on Monday, March 5, 2001 - 05:38 pm:

TO TOO TWO

By Nelly on Tuesday, March 6, 2001 - 07:59 am:

an addiction. you buy the first one, displayed at your local office max in paperback for 5 bucks or so, and think o.k. i'll just see what this is about, and you read it, and think, that was pleasant. you see the second one, paperback, cheap, in a drugstore somewhere and think, well since i've read the first one, might as well. then you're hooked, and you think, well the third one will be coming out paperback any day now, but oh no! so you go to the library and the waiting list is this long, so you order the hardback from amazon. you think, just this once, i need something to take my mind off things while recuperating from this cold, etc. then a day later, you've finished the third one and you HAVE TO HAVE THE FOURTH ONE. you don't want to wait for amazon which has it backordered. you call all the bookstores and they're OUT OF IT. you're crabby with coworkers and you grind your teeth a lot. finally you see a display in a store with it ON SALE for like 17 bucks and you grab it. you read it. and then that's it. you read it again. you read all the other ones again. and you wait. you ravenously search the internet for Harry Potter sites and discover that no.5, which is no doubt in the can by now, is not coming out until the movie release date, scheduled for NOVEMBER 2001... (Ha!)

By The Watcher on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 01:51 pm:

Sounds like somebody really got hooked.
    Or, Nelly has had a bit to much caffine.

I'd stay away from anything even slightly addictive if I were you.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

Nelly, what's the movie going to be about? Is it the story of one book, or all the stories blurred together, or something new entirely?

My boss, when I asked him if he had read Harry Potter, said, "Oh yeah! I read the books to my daughter until she fell asleep so I could steal them and read them myself."

Ever since then, he can do no wrong in my eyes.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 7, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

the first book.

if i don't shave i get a harry potter.

By Ezekiel on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 09:48 pm:

This is an evil book. NO christian american should have a copy; IT SHOULD BE BURNED IMMEDIATELY.

This book is about satanism, it is not a harmless little piece of whimsy. It preaches to our young folk that there is something attractive about dark occult practices.

we will regret not banning this piece of tawdry filth in years to come. There will be another Jonestown because of this irreligious, blasphemous monstrosity.

Ban the book, burn the film negatives. Teach your children about the life of our lord JESUS Christ.

Let them follow His way not some little devil worshipper.

By semillama on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 09:04 am:

You wouldn't know Jesus if he shit down your throat. If I were Jesus, I would've called off the Second Coming too.

By Nate on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 09:35 am:

jesus is in league with the devil. i have proof.

By Ezekiel on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:07 am:

For your information Jesus did not shit.

There is no evidence in the New Testament that Our Lord Jesus Christ ever found it necessary to display any excretory functions. That alone is surely proof of His divinity.

By Spider on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:38 am:

What are you, Gnostic?

By Ezekiel on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 12:26 pm:

Better Gnostic than Constipated.

By Pug on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 05:10 pm:

That'd be a great vanity plate...

By The Watcher on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 06:20 pm:

I'm amazed again!!!

Stupidity raigns!!!! (I know thats misspelled).

By semillama on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 09:57 pm:

Of course Jesus didn't shit. If he did, shouldn't
    some church somewhere have some on
    display as a holy relic? Seriously.

By Zircon on Sunday, December 2, 2001 - 12:02 am:

Keep your eyes peeled for the first Italian church to claim it has holy diarrhea which liquefies and steams each shrove tuesday.

By The Watcher on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

I've already read book five. I've started it again.

My wife gave it to me for an anniversary present. I ordered it through the Amazon.com pre-order offer.

It arrived just as they said on the release date which also happens to be our anniversary.

By eri on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 11:53 pm:

We didn't get paid on the release date...we got paid on the first, by which time every place out here was sold out of the damned book. I have been going insane, especially reading the comments that you guys have made on that other thread.....

I guess my parents felt guilty I was being deprived of this book, and since they never would have read them or seen the movies without my pushing them and basically forcing them to watch the damned movie, they decided to suprise me.

My copy came in the mail this afternoon. I am a nut. I immediately sat down and started reading it...this is my break for the night....I am currently on Chapter 11, with a long way to go, bu hey, I will get it finished before the holiday weekend was over....might not have the laundry done, or the dishes, or anything else around the house, but this book will be finished before the end of the weekend.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

Did you get it finished??

And, how did you like it??

By eri on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 02:58 pm:

Oh yeah, I finished it on Sunday. I don't want to discuss too much of it, though, in case others are currently reading it.

Snape is still one of my favorite characters, and I loved more insight into his character. Ginny Weasley totally reminded me of what I was like at that age. She made me laugh a lot. Harry needs to learn to control his emotions better, but I think his conscience is really starting to catch up with him and he is starting to actually think more, kinda like he is starting to mature some at the end of the book.

Found the overall ending rather dissapointing...I mean, I don't see how that was a "weapon" and weren't they afraid of Voldemort getting ahold of this "weapon" he never had before. I don't see that as a "weapon" so it is a bit dissapointing. I also think that the end of this one book leaves only two possible endings for the series of books, and one seems highly unlikely, so now we know how it all will end.

Overall, it was enjoyable, and I am reading it again to see what crucial details I missed, or sub plots that I should have seen coming but didn't. It's a good read.

The third book still remains my favorite, though.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

Snape - *sigh*

You know, I watched "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and though Snape isn't in it too much, when he is there, he seems to have this weary sadness to him that wasn't visible in the first movie. I know JK Rowling personally coached all the major actors to give them suggestions and tell them secret things (oooh) about their characters, so I wonder if Alan Rickman was tapping into something special about Snape that hadn't been revealed at that point of the story. Like, take the scene where Harry speaks parseltongue to the snake -- Snape stares at him not with surprise, but with a look of heavy horror, like he's aware of the implications of Harry's ability and he's sorry for it. You know?

By Spider on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

Oops, I meant to say that I watched the movie this weekend. Ah, whatever.

I watched the deleted scenes....I really don't understand why the director cut the scene in which Harry ends up in Knockturn Alley and overhears Lucius Malfoy trying to sell his illegal goods. That was so important! That's how you figure out Malfoy has Tom Riddle's diary -- otherwise, the scene in the bookstore makes no sense. They replaced it with a completely meaningless scene of Harry wandering around that spooky store with no purpose instead. That was just dumb.

By eri on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:58 pm:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty stupid to leave that scene out, or cut short. I thought it was pretty important to the storyline.

I love Alan Rickman. I think he does a great job in the movies. I am wondering who would play a young Alan Rickman in the possible 5th movie, though?

By Spider on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 05:10 pm:

Ooh! Good question...let's think....

By The Watcher on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

I thought book 5 presented a good picture of what happens to anyone at 15.

Your hormones are really raging and everything can make you angry and frustrated.

There is an old saying that is really the key to the weapon that Voldemort was after. I won't post it now just in case someone hasn't read it yet.

By eri on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 09:04 pm:

I am wondering if Dumbledore really did give all of the information regarding the "weapon" or only part of it. I am wondering if he only gave Harry as much as he needed to know, and didn't give out the rest cuz it could change the course of said "weapon". Like it could possibly change the course of the future if he gave too much info away kinda thing.

I have no clue what kind of old saying you are talking about Watcher, but I have a feeling once I know what it is, I will wonder why I hadn't thought of that before.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 10:16 am:

"I am wondering if he only gave Harry as much as he needed to know."

This pissed me off. From the very beginning, WHY didn't Dumbledore tell Harry what was going on? Why didn't someone explain to Harry why he needed Occlumency lessons or where his dreams were coming from? He would have taken his lessons seriously then, and the problems in the end wouldn't have happened! It's so irritating when entire plots hinge on people being stupid.

Gosh, I didn't know I had so much ire in me.

Let's think of casting young Snape, James, etc.

By eri on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

Well, young James is supposed to be the same age as Harry was then, only messing his hair up more, and different color eyes, so I am assuming the same kid will play young James with maybe some colored contacts or something.

I can't think of anyone young whom I have seen that would have that dark brooding sexy thing going on that Alan Rickman has. I have no clue who might play a young Snape.

I guess I am not as in touch with teen stars as I used to be, cuz I just can't think of someone to play any of them, Snape, Lupin, Black. I just dunno.

And who would be the young beautiful teenage girl to play the part of Lilly? I know the character was a redhead, but whoever it is would probably die thier hair red for the part.

I wish I knew about teen starts in Britain. I bet they have some amazing ones out there who would do well in those small parts.

By The Watcher on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 06:54 pm:

Adult's always want to protect the "children". That is why they always hold information back. They are afraid it might be harmful to them.

Always watch out when an elected official says "we have to protect the children" it is a sure sign you are going to lose a right you already have. Or, that your taxes are about to be increased.

By The Watcher on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:03 pm:

eri,

Here is a clue.

What do they say about knowledge?

By The Watcher on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:05 pm:

eri,

There is also a second saying about warnings which is more directly related.

By eri on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:12 pm:

Boy, I am going to have to read the end of the book more carefully. My mind has been in so many places lately that I still haven't got the foggiest damned clue what you mean, and I don't mean that as an insult Watcher....I think you're great....I just am feeling stupid right now cuz I can't seem to figure this one out....

By The Watcher on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

All right. I hope I'm not totally spoiling things.

More direct clues for you eri.

Knowledge is .....

To be fore warned .. .. .. .... .....

By The Watcher on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

I just finished reading it for the second time.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

eri,

Have you figured it out yet?

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

The Watcher,i do not wish to infringe on your line of thought,i just want you to be on more threads.I know you understand what i mean.

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

I am getting closer to figuring it out. like it's there but the two neurons in my brain haven't connected yet. Sorry. It's just that I am in interview head today. My goal is to have this figured out by the end of the week :)

Geez, I am so slow sometimes.

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

I need a pensieve.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

eri,come on,you need to define PENSIEVE,on the net, it has lots of meanings.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:04 pm:

It's from Harry Potter. It's a device that stores your memories.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

Spider,you think so?in that case i stay well away from Harry Potter.

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:34 pm:

A pensieve is from Harry Potter. It's a device that you use when your brain is too full and you withdraw memories and put them into the pensieve so that you can think more clearly. I totally need one right now. My brain is on overload.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:36 pm:

what was the rememberall???

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

Spider,i do not want this Harry Potter search engine finding me haveing sex with a half english,half jap girl in a meadow,and haveing my ass licked by cows at the same time.Can you sort this situation out right now?I will most be greatfull for your help.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:40 pm:

What the heck are you talking about?

Maybe the Harry Potter phenomenon has not reached Lithuania.

Here -- http://www.theninemuses.net/hp/4.html -- is a nice, clean site that will explain all the Harry Potter terminology, including "pensieve."

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

Here's the appropriate quote:

Pensieve - used for storing excess thoughts

A combination of "pensive", which means deeply thoughtful; and "sieve", which is a utensil of wire mesh or closely perforated metal used for straining, sifting, or pureeing.

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

Heh, the rememberall was a ball that would turn red inside if you had forgotten something, kinda to inform you that you have forgotten something.......mine would ALWAYS be red.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

Lemesee....
    Star Trek Geeks are called Trekies....
    So,
    I guess you all are Potteries (?)

By TBone on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

Potties.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

that's good, i like it.

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 06:05 pm:

Works for me.

Look at me, I'm a Pottie!!!!! Can I yell that out in public places too?

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 07:14 pm:

Eri, yes you can yell out in public places,i do this all the time,[yet people still think im nuts]

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 08:34 pm:

V.v., are you a member of the Church of the Subgenius, by any chance? If not, you would make a fine reverend, and they hold excellent parties every year in Amsterdam and various places in Germany.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 09:49 pm:

Sem,yes,i would make a fine Reverend,and no,i am hardly a member of the Church of the Subgenius.Russian Orthodox up untill about 1950,then follower of Buddha up untill now.That is my family history.I also have a great tolerance for Jews and Gays,that of course makes me your Anti Christ,is it not not wonderfull to have someone to hate?

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:19 pm:

As long as you aren't the Anti-"Bob" i don't care what you are.

1950? for real?

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:42 pm:

Our Anti-Christ......love it. We are spiritually diverse to say the least, around here.

Don't know much about Budhism right now. Haven't studied that yet. My brain is still full.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 10:55 pm:

sem,it is not pos for me to be Anti-Bob,1950 is indeed the time my family gave up Russian Orthodox Christianity,and took up the teachings of Buddha.By your last communication,i take it you are not anti Jew or anti Gay?Perhaps you are not so bad after all.

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:02 pm:

Maybe we're all Pottiemouths.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:09 pm:

Eri,the Anti-Christ thinks of you allways.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:13 pm:

lapis,i expect we are

By Skooter on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:31 pm:

Okay. A few points. One is that you should STAY AWAY from this post if you are not up to date on your Harry Potter reading. Thanks for the spoiler warnings.
    Second, is Ezikiel for real? Or is that Sem having fun with us? If E is real, he should go back to Nazi Germany in the 1940's as that is where his book burning, anti-christian facist views would be greeted with open arms. If Jesus comes back, you will be the first on his list to be cast into the lake of fire you demon.
    Second, Sem is partly Jewish. So I think it would be hard for him to be anti-semite.
    I'm sure proud to be a pagan when I read posts written by people who claim to call them selves followers of Christ.

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:36 pm:

You should read Perseverance zine.

"I wear my spikes because He first wore them for me."

"Life is Hell without Jesus."

"Sin kills."

It's terribly intellectual.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:56 pm:

lapis,chill out sis,im now a deciple of Buddha. Ihave no hate for enyone.,[not even TBone or Patrick]Allthough they will take lots of convincing.I understand i must go through many more tortures before i get my nirvana.

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:58 pm:

I was poking fun. I haven't been Christian for nine years.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:04 am:

Skooter,i promise to stay true to the Harry Potter stuff[with a sort of Anti Christ twist to it]

By eri on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:10 am:

The Anti-Christ thinks of me? Why would that be......oh wait, it's cuz I'm a witch, right? Heh.

Gotta know your Potter to be here. It's a pre-requisite!

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:10 am:

lapis,you are sweet,yet demon-like,[hence the horns]?

By Lapis on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:16 am:

No. Not a demon. A goblin. Demons are evil, but goblins are mischeivious. I'm not sure what Hal's ass-goblins are though.

maybe I am demon-like when I play kickball.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:17 am:

eri,i love witches,mostly ones that wear very small black g-strings,and nothing else.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:21 am:

lapis,depends whos balls you kick.,HALS i hope.

By Lapis on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:27 am:

I play first base tackle. I don't kick, I waylay.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:35 am:

lapis,typical goblin behaviour.

By eri on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:36 am:

OK, well I am small, but no black g-strings, just flesh colored ones.

By Lapis on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:38 am:

Also, ball-kicking is an art of finesse and should not be done for sport. It would be animal cruelty.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:51 am:

eri,even better than black ones.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:55 am:

lapis,you cant be too cruel to Hal,[he would probably enjoy it]

By Lapis on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:57 am:

That's what the catsuit's for.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 01:00 am:

lapis,dont forget the whip.

By Lapis on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 01:02 am:

Nothing to worry about.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 01:11 am:

lapis,to improve your skills,you need to make a vidio of this[and post it]

By Lapis on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 01:12 am:

Why on Earth would I need to do that?

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 01:20 am:

lapis,so i can watch Hal get beaten to a pulp,such things amuse me.

By Lapis on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 01:21 am:

So it would amuse you, eh? You and every other sorabji regular.

By TBone on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 02:33 am:

Mmm. Catsuits..

So, V... How'd you make the leap from Orthodox to Buddhist?

I guess it's not all that hard. I was Catholic, and now if I'm anything, I'm Buddhist.

Buddhist/Agnostic I guess you could say.

I think Hal abuses himself just fine without help.

By semillama on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 09:43 am:

"So I think it would be hard for him to be anti-semite."

Not if I was the classic self-hating (1/4)jew.
    Quarterjew. that's me. If I was down on myself, i'd be an Anti-Semi-ite.

V.v., this is the church I was talking about, and of which I am a member.

By spunky on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 10:47 am:

I did not know there was a church of Sorabji!

By semillama on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:13 pm:

that is very very odd. i posted the link to www.subgenius.com there. i think i maybe did not include the "//" in the address and so it linked to an old sorabji front page? Or is somethign more devious at work here??

By TBone on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

You need the http:// in front or it thinks it's a relative link.

By J on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:31 pm:

I tries to join the subgenius yahoo group,unfortunately I was to e-mail them why I should belong and that was when I was having memory problems with my computer and i didn't e-mail them in time and now they say I can't apply again.

By patrick on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:33 pm:

more like a sorabjian slip there sem

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

TBone,My Father,not myself made the break from Russian Orthodox Church,[its as you know much like the Catholic Religion]This was because he caught a Bishop offering money to a Prostitute for sex.This Bishop also had a thing about Alter boys.I understand my Fathers point of view,and i expect you do also.

By The Watcher on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

Very interesting web site Spider.

Thanks.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 03:47 pm:

SEM,o.k.so your church comes out as a dead fish,its just a Sorabji glitch,try again and it will come out fine.One day i will post you the pics of Churches in Vilnius,they look as if they were built by Hobgoblins [or Lapis]

By spunky on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 03:49 pm:

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 04:00 pm:

TBone,so i am not on my own in thinking Hal is wimp?If he cant indulge in great verbal battles as we do,then he is indeed a wimp.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

Spunky,how can you be so CRUEL to your beloved V.V.?now i have 50 percent of my port teflon shields out of action for 24 hours,plus Klingons on the starboard bow,and ill have to knock them off with a big stick. An attack upon my persona by Patric at this time could be my undoing.

By semillama on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

Spunky, you may appreciate this best: go here and scroll down to the photo of a mural of Saddam in Iraq. Apparently that photo is unaltered and shows the mural after some of my "brethren in uniform" had gotten there first.

We're everywhere, man.

By spunky on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 05:26 pm:

that's pretty good

By semillama on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 05:49 pm:

It is pretty weird how much that painting does look like "Bob" - at least the eyebrows, hair and GRIN are exactly the same. Perhaps some Iraqi mural painter was one of us too.

By spunky on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

Perhaps. Anyone missing?

By V.v. on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

I like the way BOB blows soap bubbles from his pipe,its kinda cool.

By semillama on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 07:11 pm:

That's not SOAP.

It's SOULS.

By V.v. on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

SEM,what do i say?you are just as enigmatic as me,or The Watcher.SOULS?Yet who are the souls?are they the souls of Sorabjis that hate us?I do hope so.THERE IS ONE,[I THINK HE OR SHE [BUTCH LESBIAN] IS RIGHT NOW IN TEXAS.I HOPE THEY ARE THE FIRST BUBBLE TO POP.

By eri on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 11:33 pm:

VV, you know I love you, but I think you are off on this one.

If you are referring to who I think you are, then he is not in Texas right now, and hasn't been (as far as I know) as long as we have been here.

There aren't any butch lesbians among the TX crowd. Unless you would call Spunky one :p

By V.v. on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 05:13 pm:

Eri,my respect to you,as allways.I dont have any problem with Spunky,[i regard Spunky as smart and sharp,gets right to the point, with no messing around]its that dam ,white trash PATRIC.What is it?Who is it? I need to understand my target,so i can kill it.Tell me more.,and whats all this shit about us EUROS not being able to take the heat?I can take heat,in the sun,i turn more golden than a Greek.I have to put up with the same damp heat that you do,if PATRIC is in Texas,then any black man will tell you ITS NO PROBLEM,its that DRY HEAT.Eri,what temp you up to now?34-37 celsius i bet,i dont know about you,but i have to tap this in wearing nothing at all.I say Patric really has a.c but wont admit it.

By eri on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 05:59 pm:

Patrick isn't in Texas.

I don't know what the temp here is in Celsius. My thermometer only reads in Farenheit. I probably spelled that wrong....don't care right now.....eating chocolate...mmmmmm.....

It's currently 113 out here.

Christ am I in a party mood. Bring on the cage/pole whatever, cuz Eri's ready to start dancing!!!!

By V.v. on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

eri,so,you are also tapping at the keyboard nekid?[as the Americans say]if you are eating choc,you know it goes real well with BOOZE,If you have some,drink some.I have the booze,but no choc [tomorrow i get some]Right on.

By wisper on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

113 Farenheit = 45 Celsius
    37 Celsius = 98.6 Farenheit

(wisper's ideal "not too hot, not too cold" outdoor temperature is 15c = 59f)

thank you
    50*c

!

By wisper on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 07:26 pm:

wow, i really fucked that one up.

again!:
    thank you !

By V.v. on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

wisper,thats a real handy link though,i dont think your that far out.I STILL SAY HEAT WITH HUMIDITY IS A KILLER,give me the dry heat of Texas any time.

By eri on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 03:49 pm:

You would be really suprised out here VV. The relative humidity is actually quite high. Seriously. It's higher here than it was in Kansas City and I thought that was bad.

Dry heat. The mojave desert. Sweet dry heat. No relative humidity to speak of. Loved it there. I would go back if the economy out there wasn't down the toilet.

By V.v. on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

eri,North Africa can be good,if your near the sea you get a constant cool breeze blowing in from the Med.

By eri on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

That would be nice. We are too far away from the ocean to get too many of the benefits here. Close enough to get the storms and humidity, but none of the other stuff.

By V.v. on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 07:57 pm:

eri,do you get very big electric storms?i think they are wonderfull to watch,i love the sound,the sight of lightning bolts and the smell of ozone [natures fireworks]amazing.

By eri on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:20 pm:

We get beautiful electrical storms. Had some the night before last where the lightning was going cloud to cloud and there were bolts coming down at the exact same time. It was fucking beautiful. Loved it.

Then again, I have always loved thunderstorms and electrical storms. They energize me.

It was so cool sitting here at the puter with my feet on the sliding glass door and feeling the glass rumble beneath my feet and watching the storm. I love that shit.

I love the ones where we lose power for a while too. Lightning, thunder, rain pouring down, and only the light of candles.

As long as the rain isn't too heavy I usually go outside and dance in the storms. No music, except what is in my head. I love the storms.

By V.v. on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:01 pm:

eri,amazing,i thought it was only me that loves the storms,most people hide under the bed covers.

By eri on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:07 pm:

Oh hell NO. I don't hide during storms. I love them. My kids used to be scared of storms, but now when a big one hits they sleep through the night, or if it hits when they are awake they start cheerleading in the living room, or go outside and dance in the storms with me. Even my little ones love storms.

Yes, my goal in life is to teach my kids to be weird like me :)

By V.v. on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:24 pm:

eri,a long time ago,i had a big house in the middle of nowhere,one night in a storm i felt the need to take a walk in the garden [at 3 a.m.in the rain]so i did.My clothing did not even get wet[i left them indoors]it was wonderfull,total freedom.

By eri on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 10:56 pm:

I have yet to go out of doors skyclad. I don't have the courage to do those kinds of things. Probably cuz I am in such a highly populated area and it is almost guaranteed that I would be seen. I am a big chicken.

By V.v. on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:39 pm:

eri,Then one day,when your miles from any where,perhaps in the woods,just do it,even if for only two mins,its wonderfull,makes you feel like a sort of white witch.

By eri on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

LOL.......VV, I AM a witch.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 03:23 pm:

eri,thats real cool by me,ive been into witchcraft for many years,ive just been invited to a witches gathering on all souls night?by Roland,he has a covern of 12 girls,none over 23 years old,he really knows where its at,they meet up about once a month on the coast and get up to God knows what,but one day soon ill find out,[sounds like fun]

By eri on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 03:36 pm:

Heh, I am not a part of any coven, though I have been asked to join one. I do solitary. No one over 23? Well, I would be out then.

There are tons of different activities here to go to. Tons of things to do. PNO on the 13th of each month, Clansgathering by the dark of the moon, drumming circles, tons of stuff. You don't have to join a coven here. Which is good, at least for me. I am not a coven type person.

Back to Harry Potter, though....has anyone seen the pics from the filming of the 3rd movie yet? I hope the movie turns out better than the pics show......

Apparently they haven't cast Professor Trelawny yet....I totally want that part.....that would be fun.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 04:11 pm:

eri,i dont care if your 102,if your into whitchcraft,your a most cool person in my books,i do believe you have you have an understanding of the craft.I get invited to covern meetings from time to time[as a sort of observer]How are things with you?under pressure perhaps?dont forget the old spell;mix water with salt and rose petals,then spread it across the front and back entrance to your dwelling,[full protection from evil vibes for a month or two]MERRY MEET AND MERRY PART.

By eri on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 05:02 pm:

There's one I hadn't heard. For protection here, most people do full skyclad rituals. That's nice and easy, though. Might have to give it at try once my rosebush blooms again.

Too bad you can't be out here on the 13th. Lots of interesting people at PNO. You would probably have a lot of fun at the drumming circles, too.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

eri,this goes to show a different point of view throughout the world,[but its all good]if i can sneak some pics of Rolands Witchcraft [Orgy?]to you,i will.Not much drumming in Europe,just being tied up,[nude]blindfolded and haveing a knife held to your neck,then choose you new witchcraft name,and you are then a member of the covern.I expect thats much the same as America?

By semillama on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

If so, does that make George Bush a witch (skull and bones)?

By eri on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

George Bush a witch? Considering his lovely little speech when Wicca was declared a "religion" and thus making it legal to practice in the military....it would be extremely humerous.

Coven initiation here is much more simple. No nakedness, no tied up, nothing like that, unless that is what you seek out. Not really my thing. Then again, I am not the coven type. I am not into the orgies or the nakedness of all of it, but prefer the drumming circles and the music and art and spirituality of it. Not much into the spell craft, and focus mostly on the Goddess/God aspect of it. Meditation/prayer, discussions, ideas, development of ritual arts, things like that are what I enjoy.

For Beltane I would much rather plant seeds and use milk to fertilize them then use my own seed to fertilize them. I am the housewife of a conservative Republican. My craft is simple and to the point. Aside for Sorabji I try to keep it kinda in the "broom closet", cuz of the types of people he works with. They wouldn't understand.

So then no one has seen the pics of Gary Oldman as Sirius Black? David Thewlis as Professor Lupin? I dunno, but from the pics, I was expecting better. I guess we will see.

In one of the pics, Alan Rickman isn't wearing the "Snape" wig and his natural hair showed.........yummy. He looked good.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

eri,its no big deal,being a member of a covern,freelance is fine,as long as you have a birch broom out side your front door,to show you are a witch.I had the luck to meet MAXINE SANDERS,WIFE OF ALEX SANDERS years ago in London, England,they were europes leading experts on whitchcraft at the time.Alex turned gay,and started his own Covern of [very] young boys in Devon or Cornwall,England.Maxine kept the apartment in Baswater,London where she held seminars on Witchcraft,that place i was invited to many times. Her liveing room was AWESOME,bookshelves from floor to ceiling full of book on WHITCHCRAFT.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

Sem,your George Bush is very much a nice person,he just listens to the spin doctors too much.[same as all world leaders do] if ever you become a world leader,you also will become a puppet.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

eri,i am told that in Europe,a witch must be 5 miles away from the next nearest witch,to avoid infringement of power,this cant work in big citys,therefore we have to regard infringements as a NO MANS LAND?What do you think?If you have to consult with other Witches, then do so,i need to know.BEST REGARDS.

By eri on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 07:30 pm:

There aren't any rules like that around here. Nothing in regard to infringement of power. There is a lot of information out there about controlling the physical area that your magickal powers posess. Therefore making that rule unnecessary.

I haven't heard of this before. The witches here are pieces of many different religions. Shamanism is very popular, so beliefs regarding the rules of witchcraft are very open. Basically the only manditory rules are "Harm none" and "With perfect love and perfect trust".

I dunno, maybe I should bring it up to my friends on Thursday night. After all, there are plenty of us who live within a five mile radius.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:26 pm:

eri,HARM NONE,WITH PERFECT LOVE AND PERFECT TRUST sounds perfect for Europian rituals,i recon its the same all over,yet the the use of Shamanism is unheard of in Europe,for us in Europe,this may be a welcome inovation,it sounds like the way forward.I will mention this to ROLAND the witch within one or two days.I am astounded as to how far apart American and European ideas are,looks like Europe is about 400 years behind America.I think Europe is too involved in ritual.God bless.

By eri on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:04 pm:

Lady bless....

Here it is mostly about free thinking and looking for your own spiritual path. There are still some things that are ritual rules, but not many. The people I know are fond of saying "the ways are many, the answer is one". This is something that makes it easy for them to understand, and embrace many different types of religious beliefs and personal beliefs.

Don't get me wrong. If you want to go out to the CMA (Council of Magickal Arts) grounds to celebrate Beltane it will still be a total fuck fest, but it isn't a requirement.

It deals with personal paths. It deals with free thinking, finding yourself and embracing the other ideas of other people as they may spur more progressivism in yourself.

What books have you read in regards to spiritual magick? I was wondering if there were some that I could recommend that may be able to shed some light on what I am trying to get across.

By Skooter on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

Here's my two sense on my modern Witchcraft. I have been a practicing witch (or warlock) for about six years now.
    I stumbled across it, just as I have done with many other positive forces in my life. (My wife, for one)
    It is not so much the rituals you use, the belief structure that you present your context in, but in how you view our synergy of the world.
    I believe that all things in nature are inherit with magick powers, the further we climb away from the natural state the weaker we are. Vice versa, the more in tune with planet we can become, the more we can tune in to those powers that lay doment in the psyche.
    I use a Celtic framework, as it is the closest thing I can find to what my people (Scots, Irish, Celts) would have used in the ancient past.
    Of course, there are no records left of these beliefs thanks to the purging of the Catholic church and the burning times. The only frame work we have is based on word of mouth and oral tradition, via myth and legend.
    I think that when you cast a spell, you are accessing that part of your brain that is normally not used, but is responsible for allparanormal phenomenen.
    "Harm none, yet do as thou wilt."
    I have read the Satanic bible, just to find out where my enemy lies. That seems to be a very primal, very animalistic very savage way of thinking.
    Yet I also belive that they have the right to practice, as long as it HARMS NONE.
    There is an area called grey magick which deals with changing peoples lives without their consent.
    I try not do this, but I have when threatened or in danger.
    To me, I would much rather visit Lake Superior and sit on the beach then go to any church.
    My sister uses the redwoods in northern cali. My dad uses the swamps outside of where he lives.
    It is also worth mentioning that Nikola, my wife (AKA Betony Bree) is also a pagan.
    We were married in a traditional Celtic wedding ceromony with a priestess.
    My family, though they are mostly devout Christians, attended and loved it. Many said it was the best wedding they had ever been to.
    May the goddess bless you all with abundence and happiness.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:26 pm:

Where have you seen the pics for the new Harry Potter movie?

I haven't had much of a chance to go looking.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:49 pm:

eri and Scooter,All this is AMAZING for me,not only one,but two wonderfull witches on Sorabji.Even my luck has got better,[today i have won about 25 dollers from fruit machines,with allmost no outlay]if all goes well,then your luck will also change for the better.I KNOW this to be true,when i am lucky,i try to pass on luck to people who i respect[eri and Scooter] Lady bless....

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:52 pm:

The Watcher,i will try to find the pics for you.

By eri on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

Countingdown.com. It gives the release dates, and then has like 3 pages of pictures from the movie. Some are pictures of the set, but most are of the cast. The kids are really growing up. It's kinda cool to watch that.

There are some other pics, but of promotional things at rupert-grint.net and emma-watson.net.

They have all kinds of pictures between those places, though, I think countingdown.com has the best selection.

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

We recently upgraded our cable package from basic, and I watched Fellowship of the Ring a couple of nights ago. I enjoyed it a lot more this time, because I didn't have a whole row of junior high schoolers in front of me. We now get IFC (Independent Film Channel) too -- saw a Prayer for the Dying the other night with Mickey Rourke and Bob Hoskins.

Also, I'm looking forward to Open Range (I love westerns.) The very first time I saw the preview on a commercial, the first few seconds showed Robert Duvall, and I was like, "Sweet! A new western!", and then it showed Kevin Costner, and my heart sank. Hopefully the movie will be good despite him.

Speaking of Duvall in westerns, I should rent Rooster Cogburn again. Remember him as Ned Pepper?

Sorry to mess up your Hairy Pooter thread. Carry on.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:36 pm:

Dougie,whats John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn got to do with Harry Potter?I am sending you a plague of anal boils [sit on it]and dont mess with the Witches.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

Don't forget, Dougie, that Kevin Costner did a pretty good job with/in Dances with Wolves....I think he's suited to Western movies' straightforward style and themes.

That reminds me...I should watch Unforgiven again. I loved that movie.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

I'm looking forward to Open Range too. I like modern westerns (when they're done right). Actually, that pretty much goes for all period pieces.

Speaking of period pieces, did you hear that Peter Jackson's King Kong will be set in the 1930s, when the original movie came out? What a great idea.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:07 pm:

He's remaking King Kong?! Damn....I don't know why, but I feel disappointed.

I know why...I'm afraid he's going to turn into a blockbuster factory and lose his creativity and artistic sensibility.

By J on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

My favorite western was Lonesome Dove, I cried alot through the movie but when Robert Duvall's character Agustus MacCrae died I went to pieces.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 06:02 pm:

I doubt it, spider, since King Kong is his all-time favorite movie. I'm sure he'll take good care of it.

By The Watcher on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:12 pm:

How many times are they going to remake King Kong?

I don't remember the number of different versions I've seen.

All the remakes have been quite disappointing.

By eri on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:59 pm:

Most re-makes are dissappointing. There are only a few that don't bug me.

By semillama on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:49 pm:

you know at some point in the future, they are going to try to remake Star Wars.

I hope I'm dead before that happens.

By eri on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

You and me both......I hope to never see that re made in my lifetime.

By The Watcher on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

Amen!!!!

Of course Lucas has four more films in the series to go. If he does as he planned.

The Star Wars trillogy. The Prequil Trillogy. Then finally a Sequil Trillogy.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:34 pm:

eri, what books have i read on whitchcraft?just about every thing that has been published in the last hundred years,[Crowley,Sanders,Hellfire Club,][but that was just rich Gentlemen and prostitutes]Mother Shipton,just about everything,Rasputin,Nostrodamas.American Witchcraft is most interesting,as it is so flexible.I Have been thinking about Shamanistic drumming all day,i say it is very correct for Americans,as it is derived from the original Red Indian Shamens,who,in turn came from Sibera.Lady Bless.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

Skooter,i now have a VERY high regard for you.

By V.v. on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 07:02 pm:

Skooter,i need to understand a lot more about you,you are rare on the threads,i need to know a lot more about you.Lady Bless.

By eri on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 08:15 pm:

VV, look for books by Scott Cunningham, or the Llewellyn series....they do a decent job of giving basic facts on other religions that influence American Wicca. What it is, what we do, etc. It does have information on Shamanism as well as druidism, and many many others, including but not limited to alchemy and many others as well.

I mentioned the 5 mile rule to my friends last night at PNO......they laughed...said you need some of our books so that you can broaden your horizons (in a good way). No insult was intended.

By Skooter on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:36 pm:

V.V ta very much for the complements. I don't waste my time posting unless I really have something to say.
    On the rare occasion, I will speak my mind. I do love to read others posts. It's a good way of keeping up with long gone friends like Sem and Mavis and Kazoo, though i only met her once.
    A brief intro may be in order. I am 28, live in the U.P. of Michigan (Look at a map, find the furthest northwest point in the state, thats where I'm at).
    I play drums, bass and sing, sometimes scream. I love the rock and roll. I also love reading and watching the history channel.
    I like smoking illicit green stuff, spending time outside etc.
    I guess I might be a cross between a punk rocker at heart, with a hippy brain and an anti-authority soul.
    Sem says my voice sounds like California mixed with Michigan, Maybe thats cause I say "Dude" and "Awesome", as well as "Oh yea and Eh."
    I am a professional journalist by trade, but have an altar ego named Bill Melater that allows me to spout off tirades in the local zine SPAM.
    I also love movies. Just saw Bowling for Columbine; Cowboy Bebop and Chicago as well as House of 1000 corpses. I loved all of them.
    I have five piercings and no tatoos (not yet).
    I am growing an Evil Skooter goatee.
    What about you?

By eri on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:44 pm:

heh....I have no body piercings, but have an appointment to get my first tattoo this weekend...woo hoo. And it's only going to cost me $5. I like that.

So Eri's getting her first tattoo at age 29 (a little old but hey it's all good). But I am getting it this weekend....yeah.

By Platypus on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:52 am:

Woah, $5? From whom?

And what are you getting?

Maybe I should start a sorabjite tattooing/piercing thread.

By semillama on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 10:39 am:

Skooter - if you send me copies of SPAM, I will respond with CDs.

By J on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:03 am:

Bill Melater, love it:)

By Skooter on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:08 am:

Sem. As soon as the first one comes out, consider it done. You can have a life time subscription, sorry all the football phones are already given away.

By semillama on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:19 pm:

DAMN IT!!!

Has Bernie started making furniture again, do you know? When I end up buying a house, I want my tables and floor cabinets and such made by him.

or learn to do it myself.

By eri on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

Doing it yourself is fun :p

I loved it making that table in the living room and re-doing all of the old garage sale trash furniture I have inherited over the years. Totally changed the kids furniture and I love it.

I would do that shit for a living if I could.

By TBone on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:24 pm:

You can't?

By eri on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:54 pm:

Don't have the tools, the room, the clientele, or the fundage to start up any business right now.

By TBone on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:35 pm:

Start small.

By Rubi on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:58 pm:

just want 2 say thanks 2 eri i read 1 of ur message and it very help me 4 my paper on HP

big fan of HP,
    Rubi

By Rubi on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 05:00 pm:

hey 1 more thing if u c this messagetell me how u did this website i want 2 start my own

eFlormr4@aol.com

By J on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 01:41 am:

Lonesome Dove,I watched it again and I always snot cry and I've never been into westerns really.I loved Gus,Robert Duvall's character a man that lived his life his way,a man of character and honor and life.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact