The Kite Runner

sorabji.com: Last book you read: The Kite Runner
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 04:52 pm:

just finished this book saturday. has anyone else read it?

WARNING: do not keep reading if you don't want to know certain things that happen in the story - though i won't tell you how it ends and i won't give away some really good juicy details that makek the story great.

so anyway,

the first half of the story is about two boys, Amir and Hassan, who grow up together in afghanistan pre-soviet invasion era. Hassan is Amir's father's servant's son. it's about their friendship and about Amir's relationship and struggles with his father.

when the soviets invade Afghanistan, the boys are 12 years old, and Amir and his father flee to Pakistan, then eventually get visas to the US. shortly before they flee to Pakistan, Ali and Hassan move away and stay in a small village somewhere in Afghanistan. the boys never see each other again.

when Amir is about 38 years old, he gets a call from Pakistan from his father's best friend Rahim. Rahim was like a father to Amir, and Rahim is dying and wants to see Amir before he dies.

so Amir goes to Pakistan, where he learns from Amir that, years ago, Hassan and his wife were killed by the Taliban and left behind an orphan son named Sophan, who was reported to be living in very poor conditions in an orphanage in war-torn Afghanistan. Rahim asks Amir to go fetch Sophan and bring him back to a well-funded orphanage is Pakistan.

the rest of the story is about his pilgramage into Afghanistan to find and bring back Sophan.

it was an excellent story, well written, accessible, and a page turner.

so before the library closed, i went and checked out a book called "Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander the Great to the Fall of the Taliban" by Stephen Tanner.

i also put on reserve "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.

By sarah on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 04:57 pm:

hey nate,

that reminds me. after i read deWitt, it inspired me to read "The Lyric Age of Greece".

that happens a lot. i read a book about a certain theme or place and then i go get an historical non-fiction book to learn more about it.

By Spider on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 08:54 pm:

I have to disagree, Sarah. I disliked "The Kite Runner" intensely -- I thought the coincidences defied belief (the worst was when Amir got his lip split -- come on!) and his writing style heavy-handed at best. It wasn't the worst book I read this year (that honor goes to "Prep," by Curtis Sittenfeld), but I didn't like it.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 09:27 am:

i know what you mean about the coincidences and the heavy handed writing.

did you happen to read that the author is actually a physician? not really a writer at all. he gets a little slack at least for that.

there are some books... i guess kinda like the da Vinci Code... where the writing is hardly a literary or masterful, but the story and the plot are interesting and well thought out. many times i enjoy simple stories and books that don't try so hard to be profound or are considered for a pulitzer.

it's also like the da Vinci code in that it reads a little bit like a screenplay and it will probably be made into a movie.

nonetheless, i loved the story, i loved reading about afghanistan pre-soviet invasion, and i loved that it wasn't a nice, tidy happy ending. at least in that regard, it was believable.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 09:46 am:

also, i never can understand why people bother to finish reading a book they're not enjoying it or they think it's poorly written.

By kazu on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 03:05 pm:

sometimes its required

By Spider on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 07:48 pm:

I read "The Kite Runner" for a book club. I read "Prep" because my roommate asked me to. I failed reading "The Idiot" this fourth time around, but I began reading it because a friend asked me to.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact