A Visit From the Good Squad

sorabji.com: Last book you read: A Visit From the Good Squad
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 10:50 am:

i haven't enjoyed a book as much as this one in a
    long time.

Goodreads killed this category.

Mark, which other categories on these boards which
    you created a lifetime ago now make a gazillion
    dollars as a social media?

example: WAYD = Twitter

By semillama on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 03:31 pm:

wow - never considered that WAYD was proto-twitter...

By ... on Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:35 pm:

Twitter's original tagline/question was "What are you doing?" Facebook used it, too. Both of these came long after the sorabji.com WAYD board. I've always assumed that the Twitter founders knew of the WAYD board and that routine due diligence revealed that the question had been asked before. Maybe it's why they never trademarked it. Or did they? I don't know. A domain name squatter picked up whatareyoudoing.com and has been sitting on it for years, so it's probably not a registered trademark. Whatever the case, I sure am glad I don't run Twitter.

See:

http://bit.ly/Y6oXuB

By Danielssss on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 10:50 pm:

f'en truth. Sue em if you can.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 06:32 pm:

Wow. I know you wrote the program, sue them for possible of copyright violation, I am in Nashville enjoying my stay in the Music city, yet it is my first visit there. However the weather seems to be odd and it was raining on and off. We are reeling since my nephew was gunned down, however his twin brother's dad are trying to buy the ticket for his trip.
    It been hard on us about the tragedy in Connecticut school shooting.

By TBone on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 11:01 am:

Don't sue them. They might make you run twitter.
    It sounds expensive.

I once had an idea back in college that would have
    been a social network built around the average
    person's calendar. Everything is public, from your
    holiday skiing trip to your proctologist
    appointment. And it would encourage you to put
    every little thing in there, even after the fact,
    like where you had lunch, who with, etc. It would
    build this searchable history for yourself. But
    the additional gamelike wrinkle is that you could
    put all kinds of outright fiction in there, too.
    It would even drive stories for you, dragging in
    friends, such as solving mysteries and saving
    orphans, or it could just populate your external
    view to make it look like you had standard social
    engagements even if you were a shut-in. There
    would be no way for others to know what was real
    and what was fake unless you let them. You could
    even generate fake friends who had their own
    parallel adventures and lives.

It probably says more about my state of mind at
    the time than anything.

But my project group wanted to do some proto-
    cloud-database that just fizzled.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 12:57 pm:

Anyone seen the movie "Social Networking"? I have seen it a few times, but sounds like Mark Zuckerberg wanted to do is to "Hands-off" and let one of his buddy do the parts. I don't believe Cameroon and Tyler Winklevoss did invented the "Facebook" or whatever they claimed it. I don't know anything about Wrinklevoss brothers. They have millions of dollars already, and I don't.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 09:04 pm:

Went to Nashville, noticed the downtown is kind of small, not like Chicago, Saw the LP Stadium across the river, and the funny thing is that the commuter train that consit of two cars and a locommotive, however, in Chicago, we have between 7 to 10 cars. I plan on going back there in a few days before chistmas

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 09:11 pm:

B.T.W. Speaking of "What are you doing", is a prime example of when my old supervisor gets angry with me, He used to yeall at me "What are you doing!?!?" I don't get to the point , but had to explain the sitituation to him, when someone didn't do their job right and I had to fix their &^%$#@ing jobs! Shoot me first and ask me a question again will get them into BIG TROUBLE!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact