Rachel's

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Rachel's
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Thursday, June 10, 1999 - 12:56 pm:

Has anyone else heard (of) these people? They play what has been described as modern-day chamber music. One album served as a soundtrack of sorts to paintings by Egon Schiele (hence the appropriate title, "Music for Egon Schiele"), and two of their albums were heavily inspired by the poetry of Pablo Neruda. It's seriously beautiful stuff. No vocals of course, but mostly violin, piano, and drums.

Their latest album, "Selenography," came out on Tuesday and I'm listening to it now. The melodies are hard to follow, but it doesn't matter because the harmonies are so beautiful that each new turn of phrase offers something to both delight you and bring tears to your eyes.

I wish I could find some sound files so you all could hear it. It's just incredible.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, June 10, 1999 - 01:14 pm:

I can't seem to be able to link to this directly, but if you go to this page, you can pick in which format you want to listen to the song "An Evening of Long Goodbyes." That's the only soundclip off "Selenography" I can find.

If anybody cares.

By Spider on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:10 am:

I'll be damned. I knew I had written about this before. I'm listening to "Selenography" at this very moment, to the piece called "The Mysterious Disappearance of Louis LePrince," which reminds me of the theme song to "Unsolved Mysteries."

I saw Rachel's play with Matmos about a year or so ago, at the Black Cat in DC. I've never been so bored at a performance. I blame Matmos.

I recommend their third album, "The Sea and the Bells," to all interested. Seriously, go on Audiogalaxy and look for MP3s as soon as possible.

By droopy on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

i wish i had a recording of mongolian khoomei singing. somehow it would fit my mood right now. i heard some on pbs railway journey showthing, once. hardcore raspy poly-tone throat singing and shots of vast desolate. my cd player is dead, though.

i think my modem is fixin' to die, too.

is this album songs written by selena or just performed by selena?

By Spider on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:24 pm:

Neither. "Selenography" is the mapping of the moon.

The band is called Rachel's. (Not The Rachels, as I would like to call them.)

Here is a link to their page on Amazon.com, with soundclips.

By patrick on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:29 pm:

makes me think of calmness of LaBradford and the quirkyness of Gastr Del Sol.

By droopy on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

i can't get sound from my computer.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 12:54 pm:

hey droop, drop me a line. i got an e-update from Fat Possum records i thought you might find chock full of info.

By droopy on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:08 pm:

cool.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

Here is a link to soundclips of "The Sea and the Bells" -- their best, IMHO.

I don't have speakers at work, but I believe my favorite tracks on there are "Letters Home" and "The Blue-Skinned Waltz" and maybe "Lloyd's Register."

This is a neat album. The booklet that came with it was a long blank-verse poem of a man and a woman who sailed on the last boat insured by Lloyds of London in the 1700s. I remember stealing one of its lines for a poem I wrote -- "his mouth makes death-shapes."

Listen to it. Droopy, go buy some speakers. Or the album.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:30 pm:

PS. Ignore the reviewer that called it Gothic. Please. It's modern classical music that has guitars, strings, piano, drums, bells, whistles, etc. etc.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:37 pm:

despite your shrugging of the term..."goth" did cross my mind as a clue as to why you love it so.

its ok, but im leary of indie rock musicians who cross over into unusual genres.

i saw the former bassist of the Smiths David Sefton yesterday walking down the street. He's the new Arts & Entertainment Director at UCLA and the biggest reason we are having this here

i need to find some cash to go.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:42 pm:

Dude, "classical" is hardly an unusual genre. Countless "rock" musicians have been trained classically. Duane Denison of the Jesus Lizard studied guitar from Christopher Parkening, for one example.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:48 pm:

ok maybe "unusual" was a bad choice. What i meant is, "outside their realm". Dude. Sometimes musicians try too hard to be renaissance and it ends up weak. Dude.

Rockers who are classically trained are fewer and far between than not.

By droopy on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:53 pm:

jack bruce of cream and phil lesh of the grateful dead were both classically trained. that's the only two i know of for sure.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:58 pm:

john cale and possibly sterling morrison.

i've seen cale perform his classical music. it was weak and dull. his rock was far more better.

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 03:04 pm:

I would imagine people like Rick Wakeman, Ian Anderson, Keith Emerson, Billy Joel, Elton John, John Entwhistle (I know he was because he plays horn) were too.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

So is Jim Coleman of Cop Shoot Cop / Phylr / etc.

Tori Amos

Thom York(e) of Radiohead

umm...others...

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 03:09 pm:

There was a weird thing on NPR on Saturday of which I only caught the tail end of, but it seems Glenn Gould was madly in love with Petula Clark's music; he studied and analyzed it and proclaimed its virtues on a talk radio he used to be host in Canada. I'd love to hear those broadcasts.

By droopy on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

glenn gould was a rare individual.

i once saw a documentary on pbs called "glenn gould's toronto." (i'm pretty sure it was toronto; it was somewhere in canada.) anyway, it was hosted by him and he took you through toronto. at one point he's in the zoo and talking about the time he was walking through a field one day singing mahler and all the cows had stopped munching on the grass to look at him. he was convinced that he had connected with these cows through music on some spiritual level. (he was wrong; cows have the IQ of a big mac and would stare at you if you were in a field farting the black sabbath songbook.) but in the documentary he stands in front of the gorilla pit and sings mahler at the top of his lungs. the gorillas ignore him completely. he observes, "maybe i should've tried beethoven."

[beethoven and gorillas might be wrong, it could be elephants and mozart. or something else.]

i actually own a video tape of "32 two short films about glenn gould." i haven't had a working vhs in several years, though. but i remember there was one part in there about some of his radio broadcasts. the impression i got was that he would interview people and then loop their voices together like music. in fact, somebody in the movie said that gould had an annoying habit of "conducting" you while you talked to him, as though he were listening to you as music. which i think is pretty cool.

By agatha on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 05:04 pm:

alecia keyes.
    diamanda galas.
    nick cave.
    that's all i can think of at this moment before i leave for work.

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 05:22 pm:

spider, i went to your link and listened to it, liked it, ordered it. it's your fault i'm sitting around the house spending money.

By pez on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 07:25 pm:

there's a nick cave cd at work that i've really been meaning to get.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 08:38 am:

Fetidbeaver, you have made me happy this morning.

(Which one did you get?)

By Fb on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 09:53 am:

"The Sea And The Bells" i also ordered "As Seen On TV" (you critics need not pontificate, i don't care) it's music from tv commercials.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 11:36 am:

i love that you chose "as seen on tv", fb.

right now i'm listening to nazareth doing "hair of the dog."

By agatha on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 11:53 am:

i've been listening to this bad local radio station at work lately, it's called "the eagle". last night they played "lay down sally" and i was prompted in a wave of nostalgia to call my sister and ask her if she remembered when we met brad davis and he promised us a rosie the cow that he never sent. the bastard.

they also played "blinded by the light", and i'll give a dollar to anyone who can tell me what that song is actually about. i'm particularly interested in the line that goes, as i have interpreted it: wrecked up like a deuce, you know, the rumor in the night. (?)

By agatha on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:03 pm:

Blinded by the Light (Bruce Springsteen)

Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
    In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
    With a boulder on my shoulder feelin' kinda older I tripped the merry-go-round
    With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground
    Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot snappin' his fingers clappin' his hands
    And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand
    And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
    And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers daddy's within earshot save the buckshot turn up the band

And she was blinded by the light. Cut loose like a deuce
    Another runner in the night. Blinded by the light
    She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

Some brimstone baritone anticyclone rolling stone preacher from the east
    He says: "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in its funny bone, that's where they expect it least"
    And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner all alone watchin' the young girls dance
    And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

Yeah he was blinded by the light. Cut loose like a deuce
    He got down but she never got tight, but he's gonna make it tonight

Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes
    She said I'll turn you on sonny to something strong if you play that song with the funky break
    And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
    And little Early-Pearly came in by her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer playin' backyard bombardier
    Yes and Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent some dude with a calling card, he
    said, do what you like, but don't do it here
    Well I jumped up, spit in the air, turned around, asked wich was the way back home
    He said take a right at the light, keep going straight until night, and then boy you're on your own

And now in Zanzibar a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car hummin' a lunar tune
    Yes, and the avatar said blow the bar but first remove the cookie jar,
    we're gonna teach those boys to laugh too soon
    And some kidnapped handicap was complaining that he caught the clap from some
    mousetrap he bought last night
    Well I unsnapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw a gap but he'd figured he'd be all right

He was just blinded by the light. Cut loose like a deuce
    Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
    Oh but mama that's where the fun is

OR...

Chorus: Blinded by the light
    revved up like a deuce
    Another runner in the night
    Blinded by the light
    revved up like a deuce
    Another runner in the night
    Blinded by the light
    revved up like a deuce
    Another runner in the night (fading)

Madman dummers bummers,
    Indians in the summer,
    With a teenager diplomat
    And the dumps with the mumps
    As the adolescent pumps his way into his hat

With a boulder my shoulder,
    feeling kinda older,
    I tripped the merry-go-round
    With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin,
    the calliope crashed to the ground
    (pickup)
    the calliope crashed to the ground

(chorus)

Some silicon sister with a manager mister
    told me I go what it takes.
    I'll run you on sonny to something strong
    play the song with the funky break

And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the
    weather charts see if it was safe outside
    And little Early Burly came by in his curly wurly
    and asked me if i needed a ride
    (pickup)
    asked me if i needed a ride

(chorus)

Bridge: She got down but she never got tired
    She's gonna make it to the night
    She's gonna make it through the night

(break with soul-stirring solo)

Oh momma that's where the fun is
    But momma that's where the fun is
    Momma always told me not to look
    in the eye's on the sun
    But momma that's where the fun is

(chop sticks variation)

So brimstone-baritone, anti-cyclone Rolling Stone
    Preacher from the East,
    says dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in it's funny bone
    thats what they expect at least

It's a new grown chaperon standing in the corner
    watching the young girls dance
    and some fresh sown moonstone messing with his frozen zone,
    only reminding him of romance
    (pickup)
    and the calliope crashed to the ground

(Chorus)

(Chorus and First Verse)

Now Scott with the sling-shot finially found a tender spot
    and throws his lover in the sand
    and some blood-shot forget-me-not
    said daddy's waX X X ?buck-shot? turn up the band

(repeat Verse 2 "Silicon sister with a manager....")

(bridge)

By agatha on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:09 pm:

they obviously don't say cut loose like a deuce. but what does revved up like a deuce mean?

damn. it will plague me.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:38 pm:

he probably means revved up like a ford deuce coup - remember the beach boys' "little deuce coup"?

By J on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:46 pm:

I think it might be slang for a car,but the only thing I can find in my crappy dictionary is:duce: title applied to Benito Mussolini,premier of Italy and leader of Italian facism. I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to the song.I'm glad it is duce though,I always thought it was douche,and I never could make anything out of that.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 01:06 pm:

'32 ford deuce coupe

back in the '50s and early '60s they would take old cars from the '30s and tweak the shit out of them.

By Fb on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

i remember when i was a kid my mom thought they sang "way down south" and she loved the song. when she found out they sang "lay down sally" she was offended.

By Spider on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:54 am:

Fetidbeaver, have you received "The Sea and the Bells" yet? If so, what do you think of it?

By Fb on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 02:50 pm:

yep, got it about a week ago. i like it. i like listening to it when i read. thanks

By dave. on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:09 am:

just downloaded systems/layers.

it's very soundtracky.

i don't hate it.

By TBone on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:09 am:

I listen to it a lot. Mostly when I need to fill my ears with something other than the real world so I can close off and concentrate on something.
    Spider, was it you who suggested it to me? I think so. Anyway, thanks.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 09:41 am:

Yep! I'm glad you like it.

I saw them perform live with Matmos a few years ago, and sadly, it was the most boring show I've ever been to. I think I left early, it was so boring. But I blame Matmos.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 09:42 am:

Um...I really had not read my earlier post when I wrote that. Heh.

By Cindy on Wednesday, February 2, 2005 - 04:13 pm:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! for explaining what "revved up like a deuce" meant. I searched the web for about an hour before I stumbled across this page.
    Thanks again!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact