Discs I picked up over the weekend

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Discs I picked up over the weekend
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Waffleboy on Monday, August 9, 1999 - 02:31 pm:

So has anyone heard the new Flaming Lips? Am I the only fan around here? I will presume not so here is my two cents. AS I mentioned earlier I saw them last week. So I felt compelled to hear it all on disc. It's great, it's their most mature record to date. It's very composed and well constructed. It took two years to complete. Wayne cut his hair. His lyrics are still playful ("Buggin"- "all those bugs buzzin' around your head. Well they fly in the air as you comb your hair") but he takes a on a more serious inflection in his voice. They lost their drummer. I have heard to a car accident, but that is not confirmed in my world. I still want to hang out with Wayne in Oklahoma. If I had a vagina and heterosexual, he would be the type I would fall for, I think. He is witty, intelligent and talented. Would love to hear anyone else's opinions.

I also scored a few other discs....

I got Muddy Waters -Folk Songs, http://www.muddywaters.com/albums/folk.html

it's one of those special releases in which the recording is outta sight.

I also picked up a Junior Kimbrough disc
    http://www.fatpossum.com/junior.html
    though it's no featured on this page, and I forget the title. I dig his minimalist blues approach. The repetition and hypnotic guitar/drum combo is a sidestep from most blues which i find to be silly at times.

I also picked a few discs by local act Possum Dixon. Nothing too special here. Guitar rock obviously influenced by the likes of television and new york dolls.

By Semillama on Monday, August 9, 1999 - 07:08 pm:

I saw Possum Dixon open for the Deal Milkmen on their final tour. Alright, but I thought the local openers (in flint) the Rugby Mothers were better.

I would like to hear the Flaming Lips album that requires four simultneously playing cd's to hear the correct arrangement of music.

By Waffleboy on Monday, August 9, 1999 - 07:24 pm:

yeah, as would I...i just don't have the capacity to play it properly. it bummed me out they ran out of headphones at the concert last week

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact