headphone heroes

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: headphone heroes
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Semillama on Friday, October 1, 1999 - 06:58 pm:

This refers to music that is at its fullest power when listened to through a pair of good headphones. you know, the stuff that makes you understand what it must be like to hear and touch colors.

Right now I am listening to Hum's "You'd prefer an Astronaut". Wow. This stuff is layered and produced perfectly. God, i wish my album could've sounded like this.

their "downward is heavenward' is even better.

i also love Bill Laswell's Marley remixes, the Kitchens of Disctinction, Yo La tengo, Killing Joke's last two albums, Zappa,A Tribe Called quest, The BEastie boy's second album and their last album, etc.

What are your headphone favorites?

By Waffles on Friday, October 1, 1999 - 07:28 pm:

Blonde Redhead-the latest one, title i forget
    Stereolab-Space Age Bachlor Pad Music
    Muddy Waters-Orginal Master Recording Series (those kick as remaster gold discs)titled Folk Music
    Faust-IV
    Brian Eno-Music For Airports
    and when I am feelin extra kinky, Miles Davis' On The Corner
    though i love the stones, ther is one song in particular that would rock hard thru a set of kick ass headphones. and that "2000 Light Years"
    the drums and keys on that simply work

By Gee on Saturday, October 2, 1999 - 03:02 am:

I like everything better in headphones. Something I really love to do is put on a huge pair of headphones and turn the music up really loud and just walk around a crowded area and try to relate the music to what the little people are doing around me.

The only time I don't like headphones is if I feel kinda like singing. Headphones ruin that.

By Spider on Saturday, October 2, 1999 - 07:32 am:

Amon Tobin
    Front 242

Girls Against Boys' first EP "90s vs. 80s" -- the first song is something you have to hear as loud as sonically possible, so you need the soundwaves to be fed directly into your eardrums.

The Jeremy Enigk song "Call Me Steam" (which, BTW, you'll be hearing shortly, Sem) -- there are these low cello parts that you can't hear at all unless you have headphones on.

What Gee said: relating the music to what people are doing...try that with Miles Davis' "Blue in Green"...you'll discover a new love for humanity.

Singing w/ headphones: I generally agree, except there are times when I get a perverse joy out of listening to Firewater's "Green Light" with headphones and belting out "going down like a pederast in a boys' school" as I walk down the sidewalk, strangers' stares be damned.

By Semillama on Saturday, October 2, 1999 - 01:58 pm:

I constantly listen to music on headphones when I'm on the computer. Having a cd player built in is the best thing. Listenign to Godflesh right now, the selfless album. pretty appropriate stuff for the weather today. Plus it's like how Riannon described GvsB. there's a lot of stuff you can miss w/o having the music pumped directly into you.

By Skooter on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 12:40 pm:

Any NIN, New Ani Difranco, Pink Floyd-you have to listen to them with headphones, and a big spliff, Bob Marley, Tricky, Late stuff from the Beatles....The new NIN is soooo full of things you can't hear with out a good pair of headphones. Oh,yea John Coltrains "A Love Supreme".

By J on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 02:02 pm:

Everyone is going to make fun of me,but I don,t care Tal Bachman...yea!

By Semillama on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 06:12 pm:

Listening to the song "Summer of Hate" by Thereapy? with the chorus "Fuck Woodstock!" How Prophetic.

Didi I mention Thought Industry as being required for headphones as well?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact