A Very Special Christmas

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: A Very Special Christmas
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Jim aka Pajama on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 08:19 am:

I have albums 1 - 3. I gather there is a new #4 out now that's live, but for some reason it doesn't interest me.

This "AVSC" series is pretty damn good. From the Pointer Sisters' "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town," Mellancamp's "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus," and Stevie Nicks' "Silent Night," on Disc 1; to Frank Sinatra & Cyndi Lauper's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," Bonnie Raitt & Charles Brown's "Merry Christmas Baby," and Sinead O'Connor's "I Believe in You," on Disc 2; to Sting's "I Saw Three Ships," to Sherryl Crow's "Blue Christmas," and Tracy Chapman's "O Holy Night," they are just killers!

I've got #1 on right now. We're decorating at the office yesterday and today.

Ho ho ho.

By Gee on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 12:52 pm:

YAY! CHRISTMAS ALBUMS! okayokay! This isn't Exaclty on topic (but eh, who cares?) but here's what I have:

Chipmunk's Christmas Album, Vol. 1 and 2.

"Merry Christmas" - Bing Crosby

Judy Garland Christmas Album

"Yule B Swingin'" - Various

"Blue Christmas" - Elvis Presley

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" - Vince Guaraldi Trio

"Christmas Fantasy" - Various

"A Classic Cartoon Christmas" - Various christmas cartoon songs (like the Grinch and Frosty)

"Doo Wop Christmas" - Various Nobody's

"Christmas Wonderland" - Various

Christmas With Pavarotti

fhew....I think that's it...

By Patrick on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 01:02 pm:

im gonna throw up.

I was in El Pollo Loco yesterday for lunch and they had their xmas muzac playing, and one song with heavy church organs just got way outta hand and loud. I turned to the punker couple next to me and asked "...are we in fucking church or what?" they responded they too had been thinking the same thing.

By Gee on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 01:13 pm:

I always think it's very nice when I hear Real Church-like charimas carols. They still do that when you go in through one door at the Eaton Centre and everytime I'm there I think "They've got a lot of nerve." which I respect about them.

You never hear music like that anymore because it's so un-PC and that bothers me.

By semillama on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 02:40 pm:

I own one christmas album:

Mojo Nixon and the Toadliquors -"Horny Holidays"

'nuff said.

By Markus on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 03:16 pm:

Tomorrow night I'm going to see El Vez (the well-known Mexican-American Elvis impersonator) do his "Merry Mex-Mas" show at the Black Cat, with such classics as "I'm Dreaming of a Brown Christmas" and "Santa Claus Went Down to the Barrio". How 'bout it, PJ? Give Pete a call, if he's not jetting around Europe or something.

By Patrick on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 03:24 pm:

you must be in DC, i didn't know the Black Cat ws still around.....he played at the record store i worked at long ago, he is a riot. i still have a refrigerator magnet with him on it.....

By Markus on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 03:29 pm:

Several of the better venues in the DC area have gone belly up in the past year, among them the Twist and Shout and the Bayou. On the other hand, someone finally revamped the old State Theater in Falls Church and is doing some decent booking.

By mistaswine on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 04:08 pm:

hey man, i just saw that el vez christmas show at the mercury lounge on wednesday night.

the el vezettes are hot.

By semillama on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 04:23 pm:

There's no way El Vez will coming to wisconsin, i suppose.

I remember playing his "Takin' Care Of Business" a lot on my radio show - that guy's a treasure.

By Fetidbeaver on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 05:42 pm:

Does anyone know where I can find the words to the Grinch music. Surely someone knows a site.

By Rhiannon on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 06:22 pm:

By cyst on Saturday, December 11, 1999 - 02:27 am:

I think I want to go to d.c. in march. I have a free trip, it's far away, and I have someone to stay with.

By Antigone on Saturday, December 11, 1999 - 03:08 pm:

By WonkGRINCH on Saturday, December 11, 1999 - 08:09 pm:

I just got back from the Biggest Mall On Earth and I hate Christmas. I'm listening to selections from Handel's Messiah and hoping the feeling will pass. God...
    After all that effort, I only managed to buy 3 gifts and wrapping paper crap. This is the first year I have dreaded Christmas shopping. This is also the first year I could theoretically afford to buy everyone a really nice present.
    I was in Chapters (do you have Chapters in the States?) and there was this 'Book of Answers' thing, where you are supposed to think of a question and place your hand on the top of the book and meditate on the question, then open the book and the answer to your question should be on the page you turn to. I asked it a question I'm not going to tell you, but the answer was 'Sometimes having too many choices is worse than having too few'. It didn't make sense in terms of the question I asked but it might explain why Christmas shopping sucks this year.

By Antigone on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 12:04 am:

Mall of America?

By Fetidbeaver on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 04:48 am:

Thank You Antigone!
    I'll put in a good word to Santa for you :o)

By Fetidbeaver on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 05:35 am:

I just read up higher, thanks Rhiannon. Dittos with Santa.

By Wonk on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 03:37 pm:

West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 03:58 pm:

Fetidbeaver: how old are your kids?

By Fb on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 06:04 pm:

Girl 9 years old.
    Boy 12 years old.

By Jim aka Pajama on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 05:25 pm:

Markus man... you should have e-mailed me & Pete.

How was the show?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact