Ambient New Wave goes Reggae

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Ambient New Wave goes Reggae
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Wednesday, April 12, 2000 - 12:48 pm:

iI'm listening to a Cleopatra compliation I picked up at the Tower in Philly, of various Ambient/Dark Wave/Electronica, etc artists remixing Marley tunes. Different. Not too bad. Some of it is mediocre, but Julian Synne's remix of Keep On Moving is a booty shaker. The Sun is Shining mix by Silverbeam is pretty good too, but I prefer Finley Quaye's cover of it.

I think it's time for me to make that Marley cover/remix tape I've been telling myself to do for a while. I haven't made a personal mix tape in a while, just for other people.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 12, 2000 - 01:17 pm:

i heard last night on NPR about a "new music" coming from the Euro scene....a combo of samba/bossanova and electronica and jazz........i found this interesting....they cited some band, whom I have never heard of....something something and a number after it, such is the current trend with bands to tack on a number after the name....anyway....i found it interesting....i was compelled to ask where the critics ears were pointed to 4 years ago with this "new" music....Stereolab was combining the samba beats of Getz and Gilbrato and others like them in their music.......

By droopy on Wednesday, April 12, 2000 - 02:21 pm:

zuco 103, patrick. i'm sure they're great when you're really stoned in amsterdam.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 12, 2000 - 02:39 pm:

right...i heard bit of them on npr...it was ok i guess....well sorta...anwyay i am often not tempted by fusion it seems gimmicky, hence my distain for rap/metal combos....

....hell abba would probably sound ok smoking their hash and cheeba over there.....

By mistaswine on Wednesday, April 12, 2000 - 02:54 pm:

pretty much everything sounds great when you're really stoned in amsterdam.

i want to go to brazil this year.

By mistaswine on Wednesday, April 12, 2000 - 03:03 pm:

i'd like to see all the acid jazz artists in the euro scene get together and decide to never use sampled hand-claps in their music ever again.

that and start employing more real drummers.

after a year of tweaking, filtering, and compressing, i'm ready to surrender to the fact that there's just no substitute for the real thing.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 12, 2000 - 03:07 pm:

you don't know how refreshing it is for me to hear a primarily electronic music maker say that.

i couldn't agree more

i have always had a thing for Sao Paulo I have heard from a resident it's far more cosmopolitan than NYC

By mistaswine on Wednesday, April 12, 2000 - 03:41 pm:

i dunno.

i basically play keys on a synth.

i guess that sounds pretty meaningless, but the point is that i spend as much time studying jazz theory as i do building and tweaking sounds.

you use the technology to synthesize the waveforms.

using it to do the work of creation is not only pointless and kinda pathetic, it also makes for really shitty music.

By Biro on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 09:37 pm:

list your 10 best cd's - here goes. In no particular order.

UB40 Guns in the ghetto
    Bob Marley - Kaya
    Rising Sons- featuring Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder
    Ry Cooder - Paradise & lunch
    Laura Love - The Laura Love collection
    John Lee Hooker - the best of
    Joan Armatrading - Me, myself, I
    Ravel - Bolero
    Nanci Griffith - Blue Roses from the Moon
    Desmond Dekker - compilation

Tracy Chapman - New Beginning. sorry that was 11

Bite me

By Jay on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 10:12 pm:

any of that stuff good to listen to on smack?
    i'm really into smack music.

By Biro on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 10:32 pm:

I'll do the smacking you just listen.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 12:23 pm:

Motley Crue-Shout at the Devil
    Jimmy Buffet-Fruitcakes
    John Denver-I Want to Live
    Christian Death-Only Theater of Pain
    Pussy Galore-Dial "M" for Motherfucker
    Oingo Boingo-Only a Lad
    Styx-Kilroy Was Here
    White Lion-Mane Attraction
    Conway Twitty-Hey Good Lookin
    Celine Dion-Falling into You

By patrick on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 12:23 pm:

in hindsight, thats was a complete waste of my time

By dave. on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 01:25 pm:

mine, too.

By Jake on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 06:28 pm:

at least he's consistent

By Biro on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 04:33 pm:

ok what about singers who can actually hold a note...... no whining screeching wannabes allowed.

Female, male, doesnt matter. The fact that their voice can make you happy,sad, suicidal, whatever. Who goes first???????????

By Mavis on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 04:38 pm:

ok, biro here goes:
    catherine irwin of freakwater!
    iris dement
    brett sparks of the handsome family!
    peggy seeger
    richard buckner
    macy gray!
    corin tucker!
    the ladies of hazeldine
    wanda jackson!

By Biro on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 07:34 pm:

some cool, some cold. I want singers that can hold a note..... not Celine Dione, LOATHE her or anyone of that ilk.

Linda Ronstadt
    EmmyLou Harris
    Phoebe Snow
    Elvis Costello
    Placido Domingo
    Sinead Oconner
    Van Morrison
    Al Green

Shows my taste, dont care, love those voices

By Mavis on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 07:36 pm:

emmylou kicks ass.....do you like trio?

By Jay on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 09:59 pm:

what about that chick from heart? ann wilson?

ann wilson
    freddie mercury
    vivian trimble (luscious jackson)
    perry farrell
    paul mccartney
    bradley nowell
    al green (well, see I'ma go ova here to Mr.c house)
    patsy cline

By agatha on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 10:41 pm:

lucinda williams. nina simone. that's all i can think of right now. iris dement absolutely cannot hold a note. her voice is so weak and trembly. hate to say it, but madonna does pretty well in the note holding area.

By J on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 12:38 pm:

I,m with everyone so far,Paula Cole,Annie Lennox,Chris Isaak.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 02:09 pm:

Don't forget Roy Orbison and Elvis.

By Isolde on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 06:18 pm:

Peggy Lee.
    That guy from Orbital who sings in "The Box."
    Maria Callas.
    Enrico Caruso.
    Suzanne Vega (some of her stuff, anyway).

I know there are others, but these five jumped to mind for some reason.

By Mavis on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 07:30 pm:

peggy lee for sure,
    not to mention ella fitzgerald, with perfect pitch in fact.
    what about more modern people though? because back then, you had to be good.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 08:13 pm:

Maynard James Keenan, if you like your notes hurled at you.

Ian Svenonius, if you like your notes squealed.

Elizabeth Fraser, if you like your notes fluted.

Dave Gahan, if you like your notes oozed.

Amel Larrieux, if you like your notes warbled.

Timmy Taylor, if you like your notes mewled.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, if you like your notes raised unto the light transcendant.

By semillama on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 09:54 am:

Lesley Rankin
    Meg Lee Chin
    Bruce Dickinson
    Maynard J. Keenan (I'm with you there)
    Toots Hibbert
    Justin Alexander
    Bernie Larson
    Mary Timony
    Lauryn Hill

By Jay on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:11 am:

i dig the maynard and lauryn hill but whats up with bruce dickinson? if you like your notes piercing. i just could never get by those nut-hugger jeans all those metal guys wore.

By Isolde on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 11:47 am:

I'm so glad someone else has heard of Peggy Lee. I have this awesome ancient record of her that's just amazing.
    I don't lik emost modern people, because I believe you have to be good to impress me. I think that most of today's singers are pathetic--they can't sound good unless the sound tech manipulates the voice beyond recognition. That's not singing.

By Jim aka Pajama on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:29 am:

Emmylou Harris is fucking amazing. It's hard to believe that someone who has made such a mark on modern music is still unknown by so many people.

While chiefly known for her interpretations of other people's songs (from the Beatles' "Here, Ther, Everywhere" to Dolly Parton's "Coat of Many Colors", from Jimi Hendrix's "May This Be Love," to Lucinda Williams' "Crescent City") , Emmylou is also a brilliant songwriter (Boulder to Birmingham, Red Dirt Girl).

This is from her "Hour of Gold":

"And the world will be my witness
    when they excavate my heart,
    and find the image of your face
    imprinted there like some Shroud of Turin
    that neither time nor tundra could erase."

*swoon*

And don't get me started on her 1978 Christmas album. Angel Eyes and Light in the Stable. Oh my god.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact