musical scavenger hunt

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: musical scavenger hunt
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kalliope on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 11:13 am:

So I woke up this morning in the mood to go buy new music...(might have been the singing of Hit Me Baby at karaoke last night)..and considering as most of you have tatse...start recommending albums I should hunt for. Plan 9 has a pretty eclectic selection so sometimes I can find stuff I wouldn't find anywhere else...

By Kymical on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 11:42 am:

The poison boyfriend, Momus.
    Good Humor, St Etienne
    Inquisition Symphony, Apocolyptica
    R, Queens of the Stone Age
    Go Kart vs the COrporate Giant, Various
    HappyEndofYou,Pizzicato5(remixed by other artists)
    THis is Hardcore (single), Pulp

that is all i have for now. i will think of more.
    what kind of music do you like anyway?

By patrick on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 11:53 am:

kalli you need:

Galaxy 500 (melodic early 80s pop)

Unrest (fun time early 90s pop)

Built To Spill (funtime indie rock)

Blonde Redhead (funtime potsmokin indie rock)if you remember, we rocked out to a cd of theirs spinning around hollywood...smoking grass in the back seat of my car...well you and nico were in the back seat anyway...maybe you recall.

The Modern Lovers and/or Jonathan Richman (happy girl fun time old school rock)
    Television (contemplative, melodic early NYC punk)

Knowing you Kalli...these are things im confident you would dig.

By Kalliope on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

I gave up and went before reading this post again. (I have the patience of a ping pong ball.) Butttttttt, I remembered you telling me I'd like Unrest..so I hunted for it...and it wasn't there. (Couple of em are out of print. To The Teeth being one.) So I gave up...

But just as I was checking out, the goofy dude came running up to me with a copy of B.P.M. ..and I'm listening and yer right, I'm in love.

Hah. Uhm. I remember no such thing!

By Kalli on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

I've been a big poppy sorta girl lately.

Oh speaking of which, went and saw this band called The Faint the other night. If anyone gets the chance (they're touring a lot right now) go see em'. Really fucking cool.

By semillama on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

Any Ramones albums you don't already own.

The Stooges: Fun House

Killing Joke: Night Time

Devo: Freedom of Choice

Willie Nelson: Teatro

Burning Spear: Calling Rastafari

Meg Lee Chin: Piece and Love

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

anything Fish Karma

By Spider on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:32 pm:

I LOVE the Faint. LOVE them. My brother just saw them in Philly last weekend (I thought it was on Sunday, but it was on Friday, and I missed it *mourn*) and he said they were even better than they were the first time he saw them, and he thought they were great then.

Buy their album, Blank-Wave Arcade. 30 minutes of goodness.

I whole-heartedly second Semillama's Stooges recommendation.

Also, look for Brainiac and/or Skeleton Key, and then look for Enon (Enon is half of each).

By patrick on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:44 pm:

moreover, than the Stooges album...Iggy Pop's Lust For Life

By pez on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

i went to a free show in the basement of "it's a beautiful pizza" wednesday night.

the holy ghost (an all-percussion group)
    exposition of life (multimedia, including gas masks, balloons, roses and a pinata)
    moral crayfish (prepared guitar)
    scorched earth orchestra (instumental rock band)

wonderful. the scorched earth had me tapping my heels.

By patrick on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:21 pm:

i remember all the basement punk shows i went too.

By pez on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

it wasn't really punk. just strange.

By semillama on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:40 pm:

What exactly is "prepared guitar"?

I am going to see a bluegrass band tonight, and I have promptly forgotten their name even though Joe told me ten minutes ago. "One(--)One (--)" is all I remember.

By patrick on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

a close buddy of mine in highschool was very DIY, he had his own record distro business....where basically he'd buy 7"s and records wholesale and mark them up by only about $.25-.50...just enough to keep the cycle going. the idea was to make the music available to kids. he also arranged bads to come to town....rounded up money to cover gas and food. he even had a kick ass DC punk band called Universal Order of Armageddon play in his living room when his parents were out of town. he was all about making the music available. since we were under 21, we missed a lot of good shows.

I once saw Naked Aggression and Anitoch Arrow in someones basement.

By pez on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 07:24 pm:

prepared guitar: he rigged up an acoustic guitar with screwdrivers and had a tape loop set on delay. i thought he was just doing a sound check at first.

By agatha on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 03:11 pm:

By agatha on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

steve fisk was a little boring, honestly. much more of a big technology wank-off than i had predicted. however, this duo were slightly interesting:
    http://evolution-control.com/index.html

he played music with by pressing thimbles together! neato!

By semillama on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:10 am:

The band I saw was called "One Riot, One Ranger" and were pretty good. I really liked the bar, but it was pretty hot inside.

By JusMiceElf on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:40 pm:

New musical finds/current heavy rotation cds:

Lloyd Cole, some import greatest hits cd. bought this because I found him in m's cd collection. He's got such a great voice. I think I have a song or two on the stiff records box set, but I could be talking out of my arse.

Fairground Attraction. Don't actually own this one yet. late 80s acousticy british pop band. sweet, romantic. m has the tape. always makes me smile and want to kiss her when I hear it.

Bob Chabot--On a Farm with a Pond and a Goat. one of my co-workers, who's performed at the Kerrville folk festival two years running now, as part of different songwriters contests. This is his five song ep. More poignant since I know the people he's singing about in three of the songs--his son, his wife, and a girl we worked with once. You all should get this. I'll send copies to anyone who wants, once he remixes.

Robyn Hitchcock--Jewels for Sophia. Had it, lost it, have it again. Love Robyn's lyrics, so damn quirky at times. "...all of these cheeses have happened to me..."

Just bought the Clash's Sandinista on cd. Had that on tape in 9th grade, had to get it for nostalgia. it's still damn good.

Greg Brown--Over and Under. I like this one better than Covenant, his other recent one. He's got a great kinda gravelly voice, and is simply a damn talented songwriter.

Madness--brought a bunch of cds to Michigan for the last family do, and my cousins recognized none of them (admittedly, the most mainstream were madness and dar williams), but played this for them, and that was good.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:41 am:

oh not the cheese please.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:47 am:

Gravelly-voiced singers are the best.

I want a Bob Chabot EP. Email me when the goods are ready.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:51 am:

Will do, Spider. I'm supposed to trade my current copy in for the remix, after Bob gets back from vacation.

By Dougie on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

I like Fairground Attraction -- my sister played it for me a couple of years ago. The singer's got a really nice voice, kind of like the girl from Sixpence None the Richer if I remember correctly.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:25 pm:

Hmmm....never heard Sixpence None the Richer, but now I might check them out.

FA's singer has a new cd out. Eddi Reader's her name, I bought the cd for the gf recently...it's pretty good, altough I was a mite distracted whilst listening to it.

Moon on the Rain is my favorite Fairground Attraction song, I think.

By pez on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 03:05 am:

went to a punk show last night upstairs in the pine street.

spare lead.
    backside.
    ann beretta.
    voodoo glow skulls.

spare lead was cool and they're local. backside was excellent, energetic and demanding for inteeraction. i chased after the vocalist who wrote "steve sucks" on my arm. ann beretta was dull because they didn't move much; their drummer was a big sweater. voodoo glow skulls were lovely but i couldn't enjoy them very much because the girl standing in front of me thought she was on a nordic track and kept elbowing me in the stomach.

too much music to listen to before i buy any more cds.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact