Tool Third eye by tool = peyote, not shrooms

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Tool Third eye by tool = peyote, not shrooms
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Jerami on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:19 am:

I think third eye is about peyote, not shrooms:

"But the eyes seem so familiar.
    Like phosphorescent *desert buttons*
    Singing one familiar song..."

desert buttons = peyote cactus with several little white buttons used by the native american church to "divine".

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

these next few passages come across to me as some kind of struggle with himself with religion, faith, spirituality ("dogma"). I think that that is the reason he is singing as two different people talking to eachother because there is an inner struggle of beliefs, logic, (two different people) etc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Prying open my third eye.
    So good to see you once again.
    I thought that you were hiding.
    And you thought that I had run away.
    Chasing the tail of *dogma*.
    I opened my eye and there we were."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and I also think that it makes reference to a path of reason and logic which is a church's worst nightmare("Chasing a trail of smoke and reason.")

"So good to see you once again
    I thought that you were hiding from me.
    And you thought that I had run away.
    *Chasing a trail of smoke and reason.*"

X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X

and another thing:
    "I stick my hand *into his shadow*
    To pull the pieces from the *sand*."

I think this last part sums it up for me, peyote is often personified by native americans as mescalito and other names. and the such, hence the *into HIS shadow*.
    And peyote is a cactus hence the sand.

can anyone reply to my thoughts? plz go into detail if u can.

dog·ma ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dōgm, dg-)
    n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-m-t)
    --->A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
    --->An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true. See Synonyms at doctrine.
    --->A principle or belief or a group of them: “The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present” (Abraham Lincoln).

By Jerami on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:09 am:

OK another possiblity:

this passage may be about his struggle leaving his former self broken, and trying to reassemble.
    his shadow being his former self, or former beliefs.

"I stick my hand into his shadow
    To pull the pieces from the sand.
    Which I attempt to reassemble"I stick my hand into his shadow
    To pull the pieces from the sand.
    Which I attempt to reassemble
    To see just who I might have been.
    I do not recognize the vessel,
    But the eyes seem so familiar.
    Like phosphorescent desert buttons

To see just who I might have been.
    I do not recognize the vessel,
    But the eyes seem so familiar.
    Like phosphorescent desert buttons

By Spider on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:36 am:

I like the second interpretation best. One reason I like Tool and A Perfect Circle as much as I do is that many songs have lyrics that seem to be about healing and recovery, especially imperfect healing or the idea that you think you've gotten over something (addiction, mental illness, vice...it could be anything) only to discover that your problem is still there.

Most of the songs on "Undertow" deal with this either in whole or in part. "Sober" and "Undertow" are great examples. "Flood" has the lines:

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.
    Thought I was high and free.
    I thought I was there, divine destiny.
    I was wrong. This changes everything.
    The water is rising up on me.
    Thought the sun would come deliver me,
    But the truth has come to punish me instead.

Off of "Aenima," the songs "H," "Forty-Six & 2," "Jimmy," and "Third Eye" all seem to be parts of the same theme: disentangling yourself from whatever's hurting you and building a new life or self that's whole.

A Perfect Circle's entire "Thirteenth Step" album seems to be about recovery and reconstruction, too.

By Skooter on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:25 pm:

I've always thought of Third Eye as being about Jung's school of thought. He wrote a lot about shadow selves and how we need to face them in order to become whole as a person.

By V.v. on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:02 pm:

I think you are correct about Jung.

By Bill Hicks on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:01 pm:

By V.v. on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:51 pm:

Bill,can you define that part of the website you wish us to go to?

By Jerami on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 04:53 pm:

what are your thoughts on the part with 'dogma' and 'smoke and reason'? also, what do you think about it being peyote?

By heather on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 05:54 pm:

i think it's a song

By TBone on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:13 am:

I disagree.

By Zack on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:44 am:

Heather, very informative and insightful reply!

By dave. on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:40 am:

zack, pilk sten hoary dendrite!

By heather on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:32 am:

well i was just guessing!

i know zack, i know.

By semillama on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:36 am:

He may be referring to peyote, but the song isn't ABOUT peyote. What it is about, only Maynard really knows, I think.

By J on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:26 am:

I thought third eye had to do with buddhism and the writings of T. Lobsang Rampa.

By Jerami on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:34 pm:

By semillama on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:36 am:
    He may be referring to peyote, but the song isn't ABOUT peyote. What it is about, only Maynard really knows, I think.

I agree, I dont think it is about peyote either, but refers to it ^^...by the way, who wrote the song? does anyone know? i don't think maynard did, did he?

By Jearmi on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:35 pm:

"zack, pilk sten hoary dendrite!"

dave, what does that mean?

By Jearmi on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:35 pm:

"zack, pilk sten hoary dendrite!"

dave, what does that mean?

By Mic on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 12:31 pm:

what actually are maynards beliefs???

i stumbled upon this website and i like tool and perfect circle tons so would be good to know what sorta stuff im listenin to!

By wisper on Thursday, July 8, 2004 - 11:08 pm:

does it matter?

By Brando on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 07:17 am:

The quote included in the beginning of 3rd eye, "...a guy high on acid...here's tom with the weather" is actually prefaced by the statement "I'd like to see a positive LSD story in the news" -Bill Hicks.

Also, there is evidence of an actual "third eye" in the brain of nearly all mammals that is thought to produce chemicals that, when in excess, can cause similar effects to LSD in certain individuals, often thought to be 'mad'. For more on this read this article, http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/96may/nitrous/lsd.htm .

I looked up dogma and one of the definitions is simply a belief of a group, not necessarily just a religious group. This coupled with "chasing the tail of smoke and reason" have to do with the logical way we percieve life, both from the teachings of others, and through our 'other' 2 eyes. Supposedly, LSD can cause your mind to lose touch with the realities you know and percieve, and cause you to see things from a different light. I personally have never tried it.

Any thoughts on this, or is this all common knowledge here?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact