Flaming Lips-Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Flaming Lips-Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Skooter on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 05:58 pm:

This is one of the best albums I have ever heard ever. Like Neil Young does X-tacy and jams with the Beastie Boys circa "Interglactic"
    Does any one else feel the same way on here.
    Sem, if you don't have this one, go out and get it right now. You will love it.
    Plus....SMILE by the Beach boys is finally coming out after 37 years.
    And, I got a check for 13.77 from the RIAA today. So it's been pretty cool all in all.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:16 pm:

Actually, I can't stand any of the songs off that album. Sorry. They get on my nerves and make me want to kill them.

I got the Probot album, and while there are some duds on there, the tracks with Cronos, Max Cavalera, Lemmy, Snake, Wino, and King Diamond are really good. I'm going out and picking up the new Prong album too.

Why is the RIAA giving you money?

By patrick on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:23 pm:

i the realm of Flaming Lips, its not one of their better albums. I don't mind it, but their older albums rock a lot more. Wayne's getting soft with age.

By TBone on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 07:00 pm:

Well, I liked it. But that might have something to do with my affinity for songs about robots.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 07:05 pm:

The Probot album is a disappointment...

I love the Flaming Lips album, but I think "Soft Bulletin" is considerably better...

I didnt feel that way a year ago.

Anyone into Mercury Rev here?

By Skooter on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:07 pm:

I filed as part of the giant, international suit against overpricing record buyers. You could have also. Everyone was eligable.
    I'm shocked about you not liking the Lips, Sem. I've have bet that you dug them. Weird songs about robots are great. I can't wait to line that up along side the Beasties last album and have a full on robot rock out.
    Hey maybe you'd rather rock out to Macho Man and his WWF pals? That record is so funny, at least what I heard of it.
    Pickfork.com is cool. I'm also becoming obsessed about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Mars Volta.
    And I can't believe this shit about Queens of the Stone Age. They fucking rocked so much when I saw them live this summer. What's the irony of getting kicked out of a band that has the word STONED in it, for doing too many drugs?
    That's like Sen Dog firing B-Real from Cypress Hill for smoking too much weed.
    Courtney Holes new record is getting shit reviews. Some of the worst ever. I've heard the single and it sounded like every other Hole song, so I wonder who she pissed off in the press.
    Cursive is cool. And Wilco.

By dave. on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:32 pm:

y'all gotta check out hella. just not when you're stressed out. and seriously not in the car if you're a road rager.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:15 pm:

Skooter, the QOTSA thing is rumored to just be a publicity stunt...

By J on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:08 am:

SMILE I can't wait to hear it.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:20 am:

Kind of an odd publicity stunt.

The Probot album is still worth it for Cronos and Lemmy. Still, ti would have been better with more guest musicians writing the music - theere's way too many heavy foo fighters riffs, especially in the last half of the album.

I gotta pick me up some old school Venom now.

The Flaming Lips, I have always thought they were pretty overrated. Their music has always left me cold.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:58 pm:

my yoga teacher plays lots of songs from that flaming lips cd during yoga class. she also plays the beatles. none of this hippy dippy new age shit.

i've seen flaming lips 2x since being in austin.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:52 pm:

Now these guys, these guys I dig.
    They used to disturb me to no end, but now I want them to be my mascots and perch on my shoulders when I go out in public.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:55 pm:

"I gotta pick me up some old school Venom now. "

Fuck Venom. Get yourself some Bathory, or Possessed "seven churches"

By patrick on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 03:10 pm:

the Flaming Lips of 3-4 albums ago is nothing like the Flaming Lips of the last two albums.

Soft Bullentin is nice but it doesnt compare with Transmission Satellite, Clouds Taste Metallic, Providing Needles for your Ballons, or best of all Oh My Gawd!

If you think you know the Lips based on the last two albums, think again.

By J on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 03:31 pm:

Their website won the 2003 Webby award for music.

By Skooter on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:35 pm:

I don't really know any other Lips other than this one, and of course "she Don't Use jelly", which my band has covered.
    I just think this album is pretty, trippy, weird and poppy. It's progrock about Robots, made by people who have done a lot of acid in the past.
    I think it's brilliant. Where shall I go from here in the Lips catologue?

By Skooter on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:39 pm:

P.S. I think the Queens thing is for real, just for the record.
    Those guys have been friends for years, they are in a band that has exploded in popularity.
    Thats sunk a lot of other bands. Interesting enough, Oliveri isn't on the first QOTSA record. So Homme could go on without him, but I'd like to see them stick together.
    And the Mars Volta- Televator video blows my fucking mind every time I see it.

By patrick on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 05:08 pm:

skooter, anywhere other than Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi.

Hell, go beyond Trasmissions from the Satellite Heart (the 'Jelly' era/album).

Oh My Gawd rocks as does Providing Needles for Ballons.

Wayne has been cranking out some of the best lyrics from the get go. So the conceptual brightness in Yoshimi is nothing new for him. Its just with albums from over 6 years ago....a lot heavier, louder and less refined, more 4-track based as well but the lyrical wit has always been there.

By patrick on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 05:09 pm:

in fact, you could probably fool people into thinking they were two different bands but waynes voice is distinct throughout.

By kazu on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 06:31 pm:

skooter, I thought of you today. I was supposed to go see mike patton tonight but I don't think I am going to make it...i'm too tired. my bother will be highly disappointed.

I saw two snowmen today. TWO.

By Skooter on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:02 pm:

I understand about you being tired. I'm tired allll the time. Doesn't matter how mcuh sleep I get. Still tired. Not mono, maybe just bored.
    Go see that Mike Patton show grrll, even if you have to drink a cofee and a red bull to get there.
    It's a one off show with Rahzel right? Go see it!

By kazu on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:35 pm:

rahzel. yes. I really want to go, but I'm not tired in a way that coffee will help. I've only had about 6 hours sleep in the past two evenings and my actually feel ill, my body muscles hurt.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:45 pm:

patty, I like the old Lips stuff too, but you're in the minority of thinking that their best material was the really old stuff...

Has anyone got the Zaireeka album? That was a dumb idea.

By patrick on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 08:17 pm:

i think the Zaireeka album, along with the Boombox experiments were pretty cool actually, though admittedly ive never heard Zaireeka and would be hardpressed to make it happen in my own home.

like many bands, they've matured to some degree and while thats not a bad thing, and i really like Soft Bulletin, their older albums are a lot more fun.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 08:22 pm:

have you heard their version of 'white christmas' that they recorded for Tom Waits?

or the single Wayne did last year with the Chemical Brothers? "the Golden Path"?

By patrick on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 08:30 pm:

can't says i have.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact