-|- Dead Man On Campus -|-

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: -|- Dead Man On Campus -|-
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Carrie Ann on Wednesday, September 2, 1998 - 02:05 pm:

Ok Ok, I know what you're thinking. What the hell was _I_ thinking. Right? Heh, well after stopping for Sushi with my boyfriend last night, I decided I was in the mood for a movie. A comedy. Not too sure what had just come out in that department or what would be playing after we finished dinner, we headed over to The Metro to check it out. Dead Man On Campus was the last comedy showing that night (started at 10pm) and thinking it might be kinda humorous, we decided we'd go for it.

We got into the theatre and they had stuck it in #6, all the way down the hall and to the right. One of the small theatres with about 10 rows of seats split in the middle by the aisle, leaving 5 on each side. We got in with 5 minutes til it started and there was NO ONE else in the theatre. Heh, which we thought was pretty cool actually. Right as it started a group of about 8 frat boys (I think there might have been a girl or 2 with them) from the Univ. (U of W) down the street, came rushing in. Man, they made some noise. Heh. At least they shut up when the movie started though. You can never tell.

Anyway, getting to the actual movie, here's what LA Weekly had to say about this one:

"Try as it may (not very hard, actually), this poor excuse for a Weekend at Bernies II–style snicker-flick never quite manages to live up to its dumbed-down ad campaign (“To-tally ironic . . . whatever that means,” “Nothing about it sucked”). The fault lies mostly with the writers, who consistently come up short on wit and imagination enough to finish, let alone flesh out or polish, a joke. The story — a nasty piece of work concerning the efforts of two college room-mates (Tom Everett Scott, resembling David Letterman on steroids, and Mark-Paul Gos-selaar, whose name is very interesting) to recruit a third, then abet and cash in on his suicide — stretches thinner and thinner as the seconds crawl on after an undeniably nifty credit sequence powered by a Dust Brothers remix of Bowie’s “Golden Years.” And yes, all right, eye-popping, tongue-clicking Lochlyn Munro as “dead man” can-didate No. 1, a psycho frat boy on auto-destruct, does manage, here and there, to goose up the proceedings. For the most part, though, the summer tourists at the Chi-nese Theater matinee I attended weren’t buying this MTV-produced travesty of a travesty. And yet . . . the place is air-conditioned. (By: Ron Stringer)"

Wow, Carrie.. 2 for 2. Heh. Well, I don't know what to say about this. There were some pretty funny scenes where everyone was dying of laughter. Mostly dealing with Candidate No. 1 (the psycho frat boy).. like where he humps the couch, sets some chicks hair on fire, his tongue clicking and his overall psychotic attitude. (I swear I know that guy. Heh.) It was the kind of movie we all need once in awhile, that we can veg out to and have a few mindless laughs. I don't know if I would exactly _recommend_ it though. Not even for matinee price. Heh. So I'll leave this one open for you to decide.

By Starchy on Wednesday, September 2, 1998 - 03:36 pm:

This movie started out on the wrong foot with me, and I haven't even seen it. I caught a TV ad for it that featured the Oingo Boingo (one of my faves) classic "Dead Man's Party" - yet when I took a look at a copy of the soundtrack album the next day at a local record store, the above was nowhere to be found.

And then there was the fact that it just looked incredibly stupid.

By Carrie Ann on Wednesday, September 2, 1998 - 06:49 pm:

... yeah and then there's that. Hehe. But yeah,
    it did look pretty bad from the previews. One of
    those trailers you see before a movie and the
    audience kinda grows quiet and looks at each other
    with fear and confusion... and then a silent
    understanding of 'what the hell was that?' falls
    over the room.

*Mmm'k, switched from Netscape to IE4 and it's
    being all freaky on me. Thinkin I don't like this
    very much

By Starchy on Thursday, September 3, 1998 - 10:24 am:

One of those movies where I wonder not whether they'll turn a profit, but whether they'll break even. Like Waterworld, but without the Elephantitis of the Budget to make up for.

*Switch to Linux. To Hell with M$.

By Carrie Ann on Thursday, September 3, 1998 - 12:57 pm:

Dunno. It'll be interesting to see. I never saw Waterworld. Had no desire. I liked Kevin Costner and wanted to keep at least a little image of him in my head, where he wasn't actually that stupid to do this movie. =)

Heh, not M$. (Well the IE4 was. Wasn't my idea to download.) I'm using MacOS8. Although I do have my redhat CD around here somewhere. I wonder if he (roomie) still has Linux installed on this 'puter. Ah well, no biggee. It's working now. =)

*Starts to think she should just Email Starchy as these boards are seemingly becoming a 2 way conversation between them.* Hehe.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact