Yep, the Phantom Menace

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Yep, the Phantom Menace
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 10:30 am:

So last night (Wed., May 19th, around 7:30) my brother decides we're going to see the new Star Wars movie. I tell him, look, people are flying in from all around the world to see this movie, people have quit their jobs to see this movie, people have bought tickets 6 months in advance to see this movie -- we ain't got a hope in hell. Besides, neither of us wants to see the movie anyway. Why go?

We go anyway, get tickets for the 9 pm show, stand in line for 1/2 hour till they open the doors, and settle in. Good seats. The place was packed, but we got there early enough, but I guess we got there early enough.

So we saw the movie on opening day, with all of one hour's forethought.

My opinion: eh. Sure as hell not worth quitting yer job over. Liam Neeson was awesome, but then he always is. Darth Maul: not even scary. (Now, Darth Vader...that there was one bad-ass mother, worthy of nightmares.)

And whereas each of the other 3 SW movies stand alone, this one gave you a very clear, very strong feeling that there were sequels coming.

I wonder if the people who had been (quite literally) living for this day were disappointed too, or if they were so self-deluded that they talked themselves into liking it.

By MoonUnit on Saturday, August 21, 1999 - 08:11 pm:

I liked it. I went yesterday. I'm sure the Grump and I were the only people left in New Zealand who hadnt seen it. He thought it was good. You have to admit the graphics were pretty fucken good. And Liam *dribble*

hehe

By I hate Jar Jar on Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 10:37 pm:

How could you guys fail to mention Jar Jar? I saw the preview for attack of the clones and let me tell you, he wasn't in it. - That's only so people will go and see the movie though. He does play a role. Ugh

By semillama on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 12:18 pm:

The intrigue better be jacked up several notches, is all I can say.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact