Jesus' Son

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Jesus' Son
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 01:47 pm:

What a great flic......

it stars that guy, whose name escapes me, the lead guitarist from Almost Famous. Anyway...what a good film. Considering there hasn't really been anything great on film these days...i really enjoyed this.

It's somewhat a diary of this guy, in the 70s from the midwest, his junkie girlfriend. he has no job, he smokes a lot of cigarettes. He never really commits any true crime per se...he just lives...hotels, diners hitchiking.

He plays a character slightly above the rest of society. He has something, a third eye if you will, and he doesn't really realize it until the the end. Maybe he doesn't, it's hard to say, but there are some really fantastic divine-like scenes. The soundtrack is great, and the editing is tops.

I had never heard or seen of this flic...totally passed under my radar last year....but probably one of the better films on your video store shelf right now.

By Czarina on Friday, November 23, 2001 - 10:49 pm:

I have yet to see this film,but someone else also highly recommended it.I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

By Spider on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:59 am:

I saw this film this weekend, and I enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to be so funny. (I even laughed during the part where the little newborn rabbits got squashed -- I'm sorry!)

Some things were kind of weird... I didn't understand why the writer or director thought it was necessary to tell the story from the middle, flashback to the beginning, then continue to the end. I didn't think that added anything to the story. You could have told the whole story as a flashback and kept the voiceover, and it would have been the same.

I thought Billy Crudup was really good as the main character, too. The guy really was a fuckhead, but you couldn't help liking him.

By patrick on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:35 am:

i should probably see this again, as I have no idea what you're talking about.

By Spider on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:40 am:

It started with him hitch-hiking, voiceover saying he was looking for Michelle. Then he says, "hang on, let me tell this from the beginning." So you see the story from when he met Michelle...the movie progresses...you get to the point when he's hitch-hiking, and then the movie continues with the action until he gets to Phoenix and works in the hospital.

So, you know, why not just start at the beginning and carry on through the story until Phoenix?

By Dougie on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:52 am:

I didn't like it. Thought it was a meandering and aimless movie. I saw City by the Sea and the Ring recently. The first is an ok movie, but by NO means does Long Beach look like that -- I love Long Beach, and the real residents were pissed off that it was portrayed as it was (as a bombed out shell of an old resort city) -- not sure why they didn't just make up a fictitious city name. The Ring was ok too, had some freaky moments, but the ending was like, "hey wait a minute, you're kidding me right?" There's an alternate ending on the DVD which is much cooler.

In other news, I got married on Friday. A simple town hall ceremony with friends and family (definitely the way to go). We had a great time and a really nice weekend. We ate and drank like there's no tomorrow. (BTW, somebody had mentioned that their potatoes were too garlicky -- try mashed potatoes with mashed parsnips and pears(!) Really a nice combo). No honeymoon until late this summer. Not sure where we'll go. Maybe Puerto Rico. Well, I'm outta here soon, shuffling off to Syracuse. Ta.

By kazoo on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:57 am:

CONGRATULATIONS DOUGIE!!!

(p.s. have you been to the dinosaur bbq in syracuse...if
    it's still there?)

By eri on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:00 pm:

Congrats Dougie! I didn't even know that was coming!

By Spider on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:08 pm:

Congratulations, Dougie!! I'm glad you had a nice, simple wedding that you enjoyed -- excellent decision.

I've recently discovered how much I love parsnips. I think I'll try that potato/parsnip/pear concoction.

By Spider on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

BTW, you're right -- the movie did meander more than a bit. More than once, I wondered where things were going. Still, I thought it was good, overall.

By patrick on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 12:30 pm:

hot shit doug E fresh. blessings to you and yours!

By J on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

ditto from me.

By semillama on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

Way to go, digdoug!

By wisper on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

yay for Dougie!!!!

(and boo for that movie. I had to fast-forward large chunks of it, so as not to fall asleep)

By Dougie on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 09:39 pm:

Thanks very much, guys. I really appreciate your kind wishes.

I'll have to look up the dinosaur bbq, kazoo.

Not TOO much pear, Spider. Just enough to give it that wonderful gritty pear texture and a little sweetness. I would imagine both the parsnips and pears were boiled before mashing them into the potatoes.

By Cat on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 07:04 am:

Fuck you, you married ass, Dougie.

Love and illicit kisses.

By sarah on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

hey hey Dougie. nice work. congrats and best wishes to you both.

oh, and thanks for this:

"try mashed potatoes with mashed parsnips and pears(!) Really a nice combo)."

sounds so divine. who would have guessed that mashed potatoes could be made elegant?

By Dougie on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 10:20 pm:

"(p.s. have you been to the dinosaur bbq in syracuse...if it's still there?)"

I have now, kazoo, and it was fucking awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. Jeez, I can barely move now, after sucking down many beers, fried green tomatoes, cajun shrimp, then having the bbq sampler (texas bbq, ribs & chicken) with black beans and rice, and cole slaw. The place was packed on a Tuesday night at 8:00 pm. I can't imagine what it's like on the weekend. My co-worker from Georgia went with me. He gave it the "pretty damn good for Yankee bbq" seal of approval. They got a website: http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact