Pearl Harbour

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Pearl Harbour
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Platypus on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 02:25 pm:

Ok, so I don't know if anyone else added to the box office madness this weekend, but I did. I saw the evening show last night, and it was actually ok.

I would have liked to see more history and less romance, of course, but the explosion scenes were very excellent. A bunch of veterans also went to the show I went to, and that was rather cool. They had matching jackets with the names of their divisions and stuff, and I talked to one of them for a little while after the movie--he said he liked it, but since he fought in the European Theatre, he wanted to see more of what was going on in Europe over 1941-2.

Anyway, I suppose I'd recommend it. It kind of needs a big screen to be appreciated--I think that the video version will end up seeming kind of lame. I think it would be even more intense on an imax screen.

I saw "The Pompatus of Love," too.

By semillama on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

I was considering going to that last night, but it was all sold out. It's playing at teh theatre here where they serve beer and Pizzas, I may go to that one, but then again I avoid drinking when I am out by myself, so I will probably go to the one with the huge screen and THX system.

I rented "Red Planet" and "Requiem for a Dream" last night. Liked 'em both. Red Planet was pretty cool, actually, but I thought there should have been more explanation of the terraforming project. I think they were trying to leave some room for a sequel. It reminded me a lot of that other recent movie about being stalked on the surface of a desolate planet - Pitch Black.

Requiem was sad, sad, sad. Very disturbing. Very visually appealing, but I still liked PI better.

By Nate on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 04:11 pm:

was red planet the one that felt oddly 2001 by the end?

By Cat on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

I went to the Moulin Rouge premiere along with 3,000 other people. Saw Nicole Kidman at a distance of a mere mile or so.

Whether it was the excitement of seeing it for free or not, it was sensational. Your ears might be a bit disappointed with the voice quality, but your eyes won't be...it's a visually beautiful feast. And it's really quirky fun, as you would expect from the Director of "Strictly Ballroom".

By semillama on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 01:37 pm:

Nate, you're thinking of Mission to Mars, which stinks on ice.

I ended up going to see Pearl Harbor yesterday. Bad, bad, bad movie. Effects are good but they just didn't feel right, it seemed clinical for some reason. Too much "America, America, Rah Rah Rah!" for my tastes.

I did like one bit tremendously, though. It's the scene where all the zeroes and torpedo bombers are flying over the island, low over civilian's heads, and the bomber in one of the planes is leaning out the window, yelling and waving his arm at some children, attempting to warn them to get down. That was a real nice touch. Too bad the rest of the movie couldn't have been like that.

By Platypus on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

Yeah. I was expecting it be a patriotic pile of poop, so I wasn't really surprised that it was. I'm really fond of exploding things, though, which was really the reason I went to see it.
    My favourite part was when all the Japanese pilots were lined up on the deck with the cups of sake. I know it was stereotypical and dumb, but...still. It was cute.

Cat, how was Moulin Rouge? Not like the crappy ass theatre here will ever get it, but still...it sounds exciting.

By semillama on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 12:15 pm:

I heard that blew as well. You know, it is Nicole Kidman.

I have some hopes for evolution and a shred for A.I. I think I will go see A. I. and try and figure out what is Kubrick and what is Speilberg.

Fuck Kubrick for dying, too.

By Cat on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

I liked Moulin Rouge. It's kinda funny and quirky and beautiful to look at. They do some clever adaptions of everything from Elton John to the Beatles.

The plot sucks and the voice quality is quite poor, as you would expect given the two leads are actors first and singers last. But it's worth going to see just for the visual feast. It's like being inside a Faberge jewellery box. I'd recommend going stoned to get the full effect.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 11:45 am:

I got into it with some dope about Pearl Harbor. They had the typical liberal "I don't want to go so the same old hollywood recycled, cookie-cut poop" view of things. They went on to say that they heard it "portrayed Japanese-Americans in a bad light". (nate you'd have a good time with these chewtoys)

What kind of dumbass statement is that....OF COURSE ..we treated them like shit, put them in camps and went to war with Japan. Anyone of asian decent was peered at here in the States.

errrrffff

Anyway,i want to see this rightaway too....the big screen effect is a must i think.
    A couple of expectations I have to minimize any suckage...A) it IS very nationalistic B)Its not to be seen as a historical source of info C)its a sappy romance, with some kick ass scenes of really cool planes, and could give you an idea of what it felt like to have 1800 odd planes attack US soil.

By Cat on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

I just think it's a shame they didn't concentrate more on the really interesting stuff about Pearl Harbour. Like the theory that your blokes should have known Japan was going to attack.

Not that I know all that much about it, but I've heard it said that Pearl Harbour was the biggest cock-up in US history. Apart from when you didn't take the chance to eliminate grits from the face of the Earth after the Civil War.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 05:18 pm:

the civil war was illegal.

and grits is good.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

grits are damn good. especially baked cheddar cheese grits. mmmmmmmmm

The movie portrays the command in Hawaii as fighting the BIG beaurocracy in Washington, making it appear they were left out to dry, as i understand it. Yet in reality, they did get warning the planes were on the way, but we unsure it was in error...and by the time they confirmed, it was too late. General slackness.

if indeed it was a "big cock-up" im pretty sure it won't happen again as Japan got a couple of atomic kisses subsequently.

By Cat on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 06:05 pm:

"if indeed it was a "big cock-up" im pretty sure it won't happen again as Japan got a couple of atomic kisses subsequently."

I don't get your reasoning? Next time you think the Japanese will be too scared to be nasty?

If anything, it's more likely to happen again precisely because of the "atomic kisses". The Japanese have long memories.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 06:41 pm:

shit they'd rather sell us TVs and other wares.

Im not saying they would be scared, but im confident there won't ever be a tradional attack (i.e. with troops and tanks etc) on American soil...simply because the only attack on US soil led to the only use of the atomic bomb. One attack, 2 bombs. Do the math.

Also, we are one of the few, if not only country that protects its armed citizens.

well, wait....YES, i am saying they would be scared.

By Cat on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 06:54 pm:

Wow, that sounds so arrogant. Maybe it's justified arrogance, but somehow I wouldn't count on the fact that you played hard and straight more than 50 years ago to keep everyone in line now.

Anybody who can whip up a Sony walkbloke like mine, shouldn't have too much trouble with the odd atomic bomb or 50.

If you dropped 50 big boy bombs on the US, there wouldn't be too much to be scared of any more.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 07:10 pm:

we're a big rogue nation with an insaneman at the helm.

who's going to fuck with us?

ya nixon!

By patrick on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 07:14 pm:

shit, who are you kidding? I think we have more military in Japan than Japan has....in Japan. They don't have an army...in a traditional sense. Just a self defense force...comprised mostly of American jets and equipment.

I don't deny any terroist threats towards the US currently exist. But no one with nuclear capabilites is angling to nuke the US and its money.

Hong Kong businesses are already complaining that by not allowing US Navy ships to dock...causes a loss of revenue. Nuking the US is in no ones interest.

By Cat on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 07:21 pm:

Another big rogue national with a whole load of insanemen at the helm and one of your spyplanes in it's backyard?

ya mao!

By Cat on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 07:31 pm:

And I don't know. Nuking the US could be really interesting. At least we'd get something better on TV than "Friends". And anything that obliterates people called "Chuck" can't be all bad.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:14 pm:

speaking of: i saw chuck and buck yesterday.

i should have watched kings of comedy instead.

By J on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 08:23 pm:

President Roosevlt knew it was going to happen,but unfortunately radio contact with Hawaii was broken.I'm thanking those navajo code talkers and grits are good.

By Platypus on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 09:32 pm:

My grandfather worked on the Navajo Code. He was a cool dude.

I saw Chuck and Buck the other day too.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 09:40 pm:

buck sucked.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 10:49 pm:

if i knew what chuck and buck were, i'd probably be no happier than i am now.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 11:40 pm:

if you knew, you'd definitely be no happier

By moonit on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 02:08 am:

how do you make grits?

By dave. on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 02:38 am:

here's a few recipes.

i just had an idea for grits benedict. pan-fried grits, andouille sliced thin and fried, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.

yeah, i'd eat that.

By moonit on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 02:59 am:

I'm not getting it. Whats quick grits? Is it like the cheaters way of making it? Like piklet mix?

By dave. on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 03:13 am:

grits is coarse-ground corn meal. i don't know what they do to make them quick but it's the same thing they do to oatmeal to make it quick. it just means they've done something to make it cook in a few minutes instead of a ½ hour. they're probably cooked and then dehydrated. some folks call the quick stuff cheating but they're anal retentive and should stay away from me.

By Cat on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 03:44 am:

Moonit, think coarse grains of sand with butter on top, and maybe syrup if you're lucky. Grits are just one more reason we're lucky to live on God's chosen side.

By moonit on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 06:09 am:

mmm tasty ?

Mum bought me back twisties from Brisbane. Chicken ones and cheese ones.

mmmmmmmm.

By JboxR on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 07:14 am:

Patrick - in regards to the Asian-Americans being
    treated roughly during WWII, I heard that some of
    them have a lawsuit of some sorts because "Pearl
    Harbor" has brought back bad memories or some
    crap like that. You hear anything like that?

Cat - I'd say more than a cock-up on America's
    part, I'd say that it was a brilliant, (if not
    demented and wrong) attack on Japan's part. Even
    though the pilots were brainwashed from an early
    age, I still think they were pretty awesome to do
    something like that - sacrifice themselves for
    what they believed to be right.
    I can't say the same for the leaders at the
    time...

By drippy on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 09:56 am:

there was a story on npr about how japanese-americans were mobilizing against "pearl harbor," but i can't remember if there were any lawsuits. just sort of an anti-defamation league.

i've had grits cookies. horrible. other than that, i think i'll have me some fried eggs, bacon, and grits with red-eye gravy (drippings, black coffee, and a splash of bourbon).

By Nate on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 10:15 am:

i heard the story on npr. it's more a matter of being upset and protesting. there really is no viable lawsuit.

first amendment, and all.

you didn't see the germans protesting schindler's list.

or maybe you did.

By J on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:07 am:

I read that they made different versions of the movie for Germany and Japan so as not to offend.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:09 am:

it's different when your non-white, nate. another npr story i can only dimly remember - wasn't there an asian-american senator just recently who got barred from the place he was supposed to give a speech because the guards there weren't convinced he was american?

By patrick on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:25 am:

I've never been sure if Roosevelt knew the Japanese were coming or not. There are many ideas and theories, but i think it a logical one between slackness and neglegence.

Cat, why the fuck would you put syrup on grits? No wonder. There are essentially two schools of grit eating, the northern and the southern.

The southern tends to be straight up with a butter, salt and pepper. The northern is with butter, a little cream and sugar. I always choose the latter, but either will do.

And of course baked cheese grits. Fuck its 8:20am and im hungry. This apple won't do.

grits are *hominy grits, kernels of corn that have been soaked in a caustic solution (as of lye) and then washed to remove the hulls*

Im not sure how anyone could not like them. Its like saying, I don't like bread. I tend to think people just say they hate them just to you know....well...YOU KNOW.

Scrapple, thats something to hate and be disgusted with.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:40 am:

mmm. scrapple.

i've never had it, but it sounds good.

droopy: i suppose it is different when you're non-white. that doesn't negate the fact that the Japanese bombed the fuck out of Pearl Harbor.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 11:43 am:

Philadelphia is known for its scrapple. Just so you know.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:09 pm:

it's not like there's a lot of pearl harbor deniers running around, nate. i just mean that i can understand why the japanese-american community might want to cover their asses when joe six-pack goes to see this blockbuster historical documentary.

i bet if they made a movie of the rape of nanking they wouldn't have to protest.

i don't think i've ever had scrapple.

By Czarina on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:16 pm:

Just for the record:I have always hated grits.
    I find it most unusual that someone would voluntarily ingest something soaked in caustic lye.

Not only are they an unattractive food source,they taste,well,like you are eating a toxic carcinogen.

By J on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:19 pm:

Not to me,and I love hominy too.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 12:38 pm:

again....they dont have any taste...at all. thats where the butter, cheese, salt and pepper come in. thats what perplexes me.

ive never injested scrapple, but the waiter's description of it at a DC IHOP was enough to steer me clear.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

people develop strong dislikes for "tasteless" foods. my father hates rice. he claims it's because he was in vietnam, but my grandmother said he always hated rice. a friend of mine also hates rice. i'm pretty sure that for both of them, rice has a "foreign" quality. still, i bet if rice tasted like something, they wouldn't hate it as much.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

lye goes away. jeezus. i suppose you don't use saponified soap, either.

i know what you're saying, droopy. i'm just touchy when it comes to free speech. even though i'm rational enough to know better when i believe in it.

asians in the US are asians first, americans second. they can't get around that, and it must suck hard.

if anything escalates with china, i wouldn't be suprised to see us round up the chinese-americans.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

By Naaate on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 09:29 pm:
    SOMETIMES WE FUCK THE RICE.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

I don't like rice because of the texture, regardless of how it's cooked or what kind of sauce or spices or meat or vegetables it's served with.

I'll eat it, though. It just rates okay.

I'll opt out of eating Vietnamese food. I don't like the spices involved.

I I I me me me

By droopy on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

when i say i know people who hate rice, i mean people who loathe rice and go into tirades at the mere mention of it. which seems excessive.

i sho nuff do love that free speech; but free speech - especially when it means making entertainment out of history - means there's got to be a propaganda/counter-propaganda battle of some sort. the price of freedom.

i looked back on one of my posts and saw that i used the word "deniers." when i was a kid, there was some poem that i read all the time that had the line "our dark deniers" in it. i always pronounced it "dark deneers." it's going to drive me crazy that i'll never be able to remember what that poem was.

i'm having chili dawgs tonight.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 05:02 pm:

I See the Boys of Summer
    by: Dylan Thomas

I

I see the boys of summer in their ruin
    Lay the gold tithings barren,
    Setting no store by harvest, freeze the soils;
    There in their heat the winter floods
    Of frozen loves they fetch their girls,
    And drown the cargoed apples in their tides.

These boys of light are curdlers in their folly,
    Sour the boiling honey;
    The jacks of frost they finger in the hives;
    There in the sun the frigid threads
    Of doubt and dark they feed their nerves;
    the signal moon is zero in their voids.

I see the summer children in their mothers
    Split up the brawned womb’s weathers,
    Divide the night and day with fairy thumbs;
    There in the deep with quartered shades
    Of sun and moon they paint their dams
    As sunlight paints the shelling of their heads.

I see that from these boys shall men of nothing
    Stature by seedy shifting,
    Or lame the air with leaping from its heats;
    There from their hearts the dogdayed pulse
    Of love and light bursts in their throats.
    O see the pulse of summer in the ice.

II

But seasons must be challenged or they totter
    Into a chiming quarter
    Where, punctual as death, we ring the stars;
    There in his night, the black-tongued bells
    The sleepy man of winter pulls,
    Nor blows back moon-and midnight as she blows.

We are the dark deniers, let us summon
    Death from a summer woman,
    A muscling life from lovers in their cramp,
    From the fair dead who flush the sea
    The bright-eyed worm on Davy’s lamp,
    And from the planted womb the man of straw.

We summer boys in this four-winded spinning,
    Green of the seaweeds’ iron,
    Hold up the noisy sea and drop her birds,
    Pick the world’s ball of wave and froth
    To choke the deserts with her tides,
    And comb the country gardens for a wreath.

In spring we cross our foreheads with the holly,
    Heigh ho the blood and berry,
    And nail the merry squires to the trees;
    Here love’s damp muscle dries and dies,
    Here break a kiss in no love’s quarry.
    O see the poles of promise in the boys.

III

I see you boys of summer in your ruin.
    Man in his maggot’s barren.
    And boys are full and foreign in the pouch.
    I am the man your father was.
    We are the sons of flint and pitch.
    O see the poles are kissing as they cross.

By DoonBuggy on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 05:51 pm:

the existance of this movie brings a tear to my eye.

By heather on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 05:57 pm:

ah. moulin rouge

bane of my life this week

By droopy on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 06:33 pm:

bless your heart, spider.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 30, 2001 - 06:58 pm:

my pleasure, droopy.

By patrick on Monday, June 4, 2001 - 03:34 pm:

ok, so i saw it. eh.....the only thing i walked away with was visual horrification these people went through. especially being straffed by 30 and 45mm cannons on those planes. overwhelming chaos.

otherwise some of the dialog sucked and i hated having to watch that woman have her lovers die twice.

it makes me sad as i think of the struggle of two lovers having to say goodbye like that, knowing you may never see that person again. going off to world war 2 in others like it.....the task of saying goodbye like that is daunting.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact