Crouching Subtitled Dragon, Flying Subtitled Dragon

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Crouching Subtitled Dragon, Flying Subtitled Dragon
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 08:09 pm:

Or whatever it was called...flying scenes are a bit over done, don't you think? I am certain that if I could translate Manchurian the dialog would be so much better that the subtitles. Too bad for the ending. Predictable. Overall, may be overrated? What did the rest of you intellectual sorabi-sans think of it?

Also saw the sequel to Wim Wenders' On Wings of Desire (which was monumental and poetic), and I didn't think very much of it. Didn't even finish it.

By eri on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 09:08 pm:

I thought it looked over done from the previews and never have seen it. I guess that just goes to show that I am not one of the intellectual sorabji-sans.

By semillama on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 10:58 pm:

Absolutely fantastic and at the top of the
    genre. The fight scenes were amazing, and
    how about the scene where Chow Yun-Fat
    and Michelle Yeoh are having tea, with the
    bamboo swaying in the wind? Pure beauty.

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:07 am:

That is probably true. I didn't think of watching the movies for the aesthetic qualities. That's allright. I have already agreed to American History X, so I will let this one pass.

By patrick on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:58 am:

"I didn't think of watching the movies for the aesthetic qualities"

wtf?

*shakes head to make sure he read that right*

Eri. do you enjoy being so closed minded?

Its a good damn film. Try and expand your pallet a little bit eh?

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 01:12 pm:

It is not a matter of open or closed minded Patrick. It is about reasoning. It is about like and dislike. It is about lack of desire to see something that looks so uninteresting. If I watch a movie it is for entertainment and there are many types of movies that just leave me bored. This appeared to be one of them. I prefer the stage to the big screen and when it comes to movies, well, I just don't enjoy too many of them. I usually just find myself bored. I don't watch much television, I don't watch many movies, I would rather be in the audience (or on stage) at a theater or listening to music, or dancing, or playing my violin. I would rather be lounging at the pool or playing with my kids. I have other things to be doing than sitting on my ass in front of a screen, so if I am going to do it, I want to be entertained and not bored as I am with most movies I have seen out there or seen recently.

Besides, since where is there a law saying you have to watch movies that don't appeal to you? It is a movie, who cares?

By spunky on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 02:20 pm:

If it does not appeal to me, I am not spending $7.50 each plus Jumbo coka-cola and popcorn to "broaden my horizons". I will wait till it is on cable and there is nothing else on......

Do you get some kind of perverse pleasure out of calling someone who does not agree with your views of the world closed minded?

By Spider on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 02:46 pm:

I loved this movie.

"and how about the scene where Chow Yun-Fat and Michelle Yeoh are having tea, with the bamboo swaying in the wind? Pure beauty."

That was such a nice scene. I enjoyed the look on her face when he took her hand and pressed it to his cheek.

By wisper on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 06:39 pm:

this movie

bored me

to death.

it was the kind of movie that my mom would
    cry over with my aunt, and then call me
    heartless if i giggled at them.
    Just like when they watched Patch Adams.
    Except this one had some swords.

but pretty? yes.

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 07:15 pm:

Patch Adams, now there was a movie with a fucked up ending. I hate those movies. Kinda like The Perfect Storm, when they all die. Yeah, it is historically acurate, but the ending just sucked. Can't stand that movie either. I don't like movies that make you cry. I deplore them. I hate movies with jacked up endings. I want to see something that will make me smile. When I finish a movie I want to feel happy, not sad.

By Dougie on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

Never saw Patch Adams, never saw Perfect Storm, but read the book. C'mon Eri, you can't have Hollywood making a Disney ending to Perfect Storm. You didn't really think they were going to sail back to port and live happily ever after did you?

By heather on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 07:38 pm:

unrealistic happy endings piss me off

but i won't go see a movie where people drown either. eaten by a shark, ok, but no drowning.

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 08:24 pm:

I honestly expected the captain to go down with the ship and at least one of the men to return home to tell of the horrible tale. How else would anyone know what actually happened out there? Thought if the story was true than at least one person had to survive, but they all died a horrible death. Patch Adams was also a true story, though very sensationalized, but still, coudln't they have left the part where the girl is murdered by the patient out? Couldn't they have just left it at his accomplishments in providing health care to the poor? It just ruined the feeling of the movie and it went from great accomplishment to tears to oh, yeah, remember before she was murdered.

By Christopher on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 08:55 pm:

One of my favorite movies of all time is "Night of the Living Dead" (original, not the remake), and EVERYONE dies a horrible death, but even worse, the people that are left alive are hideous group think thugs, that get off on shooting people in the head. Also in my top 5 movies, is Roman Polanski's the tenant, where the climax of the movie is when our hero, Trelkovski, dressed in the former tenants dress (and fabulous cha-cha heels), flings himself out of his apartment window, duplicating the suicide of said previous tenant. Come to think of it, just about every movie that I count as my favorites all have pretty depressing endings. I guess it's all in the way we are wired. I don't like easy movies with happy endings.

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:14 pm:

I must have seen Night of the Living Dead like 50 times, but always fell asleep before the ending. I finally saw the way it ended and couldn't believe it. I haven't seen it since. I just can't get over everything the guy went thru just to get shot in the head.

By Daniel sSiskalsnEbertss on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:27 am:

Ah true beauty is the Original Night of the Living Dead, agreed. In black and white; is damn gorey enough.

Crouching had only a few scenes, other then the fantastic fight scenes, good yes, that really grabbed my attention: besides the tea scene, the fighting lovemaking of Lo in the cave, as well as the wonderfully fantastic and probably metaphorical but I can't figure it all out yet scene of sword fighting at the top of the trees, yahoo! woo hoo! bring me a springy tree anytime.

My friend in CA tells me I should listen to Malena and watch Cinema Paradiso...and the reviewers m=panned the former and raved about the latter. Seems like Wenders efforts too: a great Wings (and so much different from City of Angels which ripped off plot and twisted the ending), and a poor sequel when the angel turns out badly...

Poor angel. would have been different if Silent Bob directed and Matt Damon were in it....Peter Falk looked pretty old. maybe it's just that Wenders poetry in Wings is so monumental. Even the subtitles were wonderful.

Crouching Dragon's subtitles sucked by comparison. What crappy interpretations. The movie may well be at the top of its genre, but the subtitles sucked.

By Christopher on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:06 am:

YOu wanna see subtitles that suck on one of the most amazing films of the past 30 years? Check out the VHS butchering of Fassbinder's "Fitzgeraldo". Hideous blurry white subtitles and perhaps the worst pan and scan transfer I have ever seen. I saw this incredible film in its original wide-screen glory, and was truly horrified when I rented the VHS years later. Sadly, I have never been able to find it on DVD, but then again, I wasnt able to find "The Tenant" either.

Think of all the great movies that are sitting around waiting to be rescued. A good case in point was "The Abominable Dr. Phibes", starring Vincent price as the disfigured mad doctor who visits the biblical curses of the pharaohs on the surgical staff he blames for the death of his wife. In the original theatrical release, Vincent Price sings "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as the credits roll. Because of copyright uncertainties, and royalty problems, the VHS version was released with the music dramatically altered, and the infamous "over the rainbow" completely excised. It took over 20 years to fix that. This past year, the DVD release finally came out, and they restored the original soundtrack in its entirety. It really changes the whole tone of the film. I cut my teeth on Vincent Price movies, and still have a big place in my heart for him. I was SOOO happy when the DVD was done the right way. I hope that I can look forward to seeing remastered versions of alot of the creature features that I grew up on, but I don't think its likely. I may well have seen films that will never see the light of day again...

By Daniel ssss on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 08:40 am:

I understand completely. Now where's that piano?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact