LOTR again

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: LOTR again
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Ophelia on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 04:49 pm:

It made more sense since i have now read the book. i payed more attention to detail, since i knew the plot, especially the scenery. I love Rivendell and the Shire. it still scared me in parts, and made me cry in parts, and made me happy in parts. and it still pissed me off that it ended where it did, maybe even more this time cause i knew what happened next so it didn't feel like the end of the story at all. but altogether i thoroughly enjoyed it, as before.

By J on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 08:14 pm:

I so regret that I didn't see it at the movie theater,that's when my mom took ill,but I read the books and I rented it today,I can't wait to watch it.

By semillama on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 09:52 pm:

probably, as i sure i have said elsewher,the
    best adaptation of a book to film i have ever
    seen.

Kazoo and I have already made plans to see
    the Two Towers together.

By spunky on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 10:29 pm:

If they can do 3 LOTR in 3 years, why can't they do 3 star wars in 3 years?
    The Matrix 2 comes out on May 15, and the Matrix 3 starts Nov 1 2003???

By Nate on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 10:44 pm:

considering how sad the last two star wars have been... who cares?

i can't wait for for the LOTR prequels (American Ring and American Ring 2: Frodo goest West).

By Hal on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 07:30 am:

Return of the Ring: Attack of the Clones.

By semillama on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 11:00 am:

It's simple, spunky. The LOTR films and the
    Matrix sequels were each filmed
    simultaneously. The star wars prequels are
    filmed individually.

I guess they just wrapped shooting on T3.
    Next year is going to rock for movies: Return of
    the King, MAtrix sequels, The Hulk, Daredevil,
    and probably an Adam Sandler movie. In fact,
    he's about due for his "dramatic turn" and play
    a psycho.

By Skooter on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 04:57 pm:

Sandler is the star of "Punch Drunk Love," a
    new film by Magnolia director P.T Anderson!

By Nate on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 05:52 pm:

By semillama on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 10:11 pm:

awesome.

I saw "K-19" today at teh 50-cent matinee at
    the buck theatre. Not bad, actually. I saw Sum
    of All Fears yesterday at the same place for
    teh same price and felt ripped off.

By Spider on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 08:35 am:

We rented the LOTR DVD this weekend, and it includes some behind-the-scenes stuff for The Two Towers. Ohmygod, it's going to be so good!

I am breathless in anticipation of seeing Gollum on the screen for so long, and the big mother of all battles between men/orcs looks phenomenal.

We also watched Pitch Black with Vin Diesel. Don't ask me why. I have to admit that the special effects in regards to the raptors were great.

By Dougie on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 10:46 am:

When's the Two Towers coming out?

Speaking of movies, watched two masterpieces this weekend: In the Bedroom and Once Upon a Time in the West. Leone/Morricone -- quel match made in heaven. How creepy is Henry Fonda in that movie? And how beautiful is Claudia Cardinale? Jason Robards was great as Cheyenne, as was Charles Bronson as Harmonica Man. Can't seem to get enough westerns lately.

By Spider on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 11:12 am:

December 18, IIRC.

By J on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 12:46 pm:

I saw my Big Fat Greek Wedding and I loved it,laughed the whole time,a charming film.Lord of the Rings was just incredible.

By eri on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

I am looking forward to the Twin Towers. Also the new Harry Potter movie.

Movies I just saw....Magnolia (we all got around and started singing "It's Raining Frogs" to the tune of "It's Raining Men" but were otherwise dissapointed).....The Sweetest Thing (we didn't stop laughing, but maybe it was the wine).....and Gods and Monsters (which I thought was wonderful). Oh, that and Valentine which was one of the better horror movies I have seen recently.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 08:52 am:

I just bought the extended version of the movie. THey never should have cut it, just stuck an intermission in it.

Wow. It really did make the movie better. There was more interaction between characters, a lot more character dvelopment, and they included a lot more in the Lothlorien scene.

plus, it was on sale for $30 at Borders!

By Spider on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 09:19 am:

My brother called to tell me that he had picked this up last night -- he agrees with you. (Of course, what honest fan wouldn't want extra footage?)

What kind of extras are included in the other discs? In the movie, were there more scenes with (or discussion about) Gollum?

By spunky on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 09:23 am:

I was thinking about getting it, but wondering if it was worth it.
    I have been disappointed in the past with "Special Editions" and "Director's Cut" crap before.

Please tell me more...
    :-)

By semillama on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:34 am:

This is so totally worth it. THere is more with gollum. more hobbitton. More stuff with Boromir.The whole beginning is different. 6 new scenes, and 20 extended scenes.

the movie takes 2 discs (with commentaries) and then the extra stuff takes two more discs. Plus, FREE ticket to the Two Towers!!!

The part with Galadriel and Frodo makes more sense, and the whole gift giving scene is there.

Plus, Legolas makes a smart ass remark before Moria.

It's so worth it.

You can bet what one of my family thanksgiving activities will be this year!

Boy did I ever geek out over this!

By Spider on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:12 am:

You know, it frustrates me that the people (like *AHEM* Wisper) who walked out of the theatre bored/confused/contemptuous aren't going to see this cool stuff.

I always felt that there was not enough background info in the theatre-edition (even a sentence or two of exposition would have worked in a lot of cases)...so certain things didn't seem to have enough weight or importance. Like the hand you see grasping the Ring when it's underwater at the beginning -- just some passing mention that Gollum used to be human would have made that image have significance to people unfamiliar with the book.

But the people who didn't like the movie aren't going to be the ones seeing the extended version, and they'll persist in thinking the movie wasn't good.

This makes me sad.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:22 am:

nerds.

i rented it over the weekend. but due to time constraints, i never got around to watching it and paid a day late fee.

its just not meant to be.

By wisper on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:47 pm:

LOL

i'm so touched that you thought of me, Spidey, and that i'll forever be in your mind when you think of LOTR. ;)

Fear not, i'm sure i'll see it eventually, when my Comic Book Guy housemate buys it or gets it for x-mas or something. Not that he has a dvd player, but he'll get it anyway. And i promise i'll shut up about it when i do.

oh, you thought i was going to make some snarky LOTR comment here? Please, i do have some self control.

By Gee on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:58 am:

I'm going to see the Lord of the Rings exhibit at the ROM on the 21st.

I get to walk through Rivendell. I'm so beyond excited I can't even type about it.

I'm so glad I live in Toronto.

By Spider on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 08:56 am:

I watched the extended version of the film this weekend.

Sem, what did you think about this: Some of the "extended" scenes were extended by, like, a few seconds or an extra sentence of dialogue.

Now, I think it's great that we get to see those extra bits....but why in heaven's name were they cut out in the first place?

For example, the part where Boromir was teaching Merry and Pippin how to fight was extended for about 5 seconds to show them play-fighting with Aragorn. What was the point of cutting those 5 seconds in the first place? The cost was lost humor and relationship development between characters, and the gain was...5 seconds less run time.

And I could be wrong, but I could swear during the fight scene in Moria that there were new shots that lasted literally less a second.

(For those who think I'm saying the extended version was a gyp, I'm not -- there were lots of whole new scenes, and many extensions of scenes were sizable. What I'm saying is that I agree with Sem -- this should have been the version shown in the theatres.)

By Platypus on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:50 pm:

Yeah. The extended version was a lot better. A lot clearer, too, for those who didn't read the books. But, yeah, most of the extensions were just a few lines of dialogue here and there. I guess they added up over the course of the movie, but...

And STILL no Tom Bombadil.

By Gee on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:04 am:

thank god for that!

did you know that the Japanese are obsessed with Anne of Green Gables? Young Japanese wives make up a large part of the tourist trade in P.E.I.

isn't that interesting?!?

By wisper on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:32 pm:

didn't Green Gables burn down last year?

By Spider on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:38 pm:

*gasp* No!

By Gee on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 09:46 am:

I don't think there IS a Green Gables in reality.

although there may be a house upon which Green Gables was based. I know nothing of a fire.

By wisper on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:11 pm:

yeah, that's it then. The Green Gables house had a fire some time ago. I remember. Look it up or something.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:18 pm:

Hey, you look it up....you're the one who violated our serenity bubbles with this tragic news.

Back to LOTR, I watched the first disc with the cast's audio commentary last night, and let me say that I was right on as an 8-year-old with my crush on Sean Astin. He is the most adorable man ever. Such a little worry-wart about safety!

By semillama on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

I haven't done any of that yet. I might after I get settled into my new place. I am moving all this week, with most of it taking place saturday. So far, i only have one person helping me, but that's all you really need at minimum.

I packed all my books last night - 16 boxes.
    In that room, I still have to pack all the music stuff and attack the closet, which hasen't been gone through since i moved in. Then it's onto the bedroom, boxing up the computer, stuff clothes into suitcases and such.

Geez, that was way off topic.

Spider, how did you like Gimli's scenes with Galadriel?

By Spider on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:41 pm:

They weren't as impacting as I had hoped, but I guess it's hard to emote when you've got all that latex on your face. He did seem appropriately wistful when he told Legolas that she had given him three hairs.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:02 pm:

Let me note that I REALLY love the extras on these discs -- there is great information about all the special effects, especially the way they got the scale differences between the hobbits and the big people. The anecdotes about the actors and the filming experience are entertaining and charming, too.

By heather on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:15 pm:

nate would buy it just for the (hidden) jack black 'one ring' scene

By Spider on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

I found that. :)

By wisper on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:44 pm:

J.B. ?
    fuck you guys.
    now i have to rent it.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:47 pm:

what's this?

By heather on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 06:13 pm:

go to the 'council' whatever on the menu (don't remember which disk)

a ring appears a bit below

click it

By Spider on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:35 am:

It's the first disc. You have to scroll down to the "new scene" menu option, and you'll notice that the cursor has become a ring. Hit enter.

On the second disc, go to the scene select menu, go the right and scroll down past scene 48 and a picture of two towers will appear -- that's the theatrical trailer for, duh, the Two Towers.

One thing I forgot to ask you, Sem....it seemed to me that when they added new material, they cut some of the old stuff out. (Like when the group first encounters the elves in Lothlorien.) Did you notice this, too, or am I just imagining things?

By semillama on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:53 am:

i didn't notice, but it's possible. Jackson said that rather than just stick new scenes in, he did do some re-editing to make the movie flow better with the new scenes.

By Spider on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 09:34 am:

That makes sense.

By patrick on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

i found you.

enough of this nerd chitchat.

its backgammon or die!

By Spider on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

I've never played backgammon! I'm dead!

By Spider on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:52 pm:

Gee! Tell us about the exhibit at the ROM!

By wisper on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:36 pm:

people are going apeshit for the exhibit. I walked past it on the weekend and the line went out the door and down the block. 3 blocks, even, and it was fucking COLD that day. And there are ads everywhere, on every lamp post, all over down town. Toronto is LOTR town now. It's crazy.

And NOW they're getting that Jesus box. So it's going to be LOTR freaks in one line, and jesus freaks in the other. Oh, think of the lines. I think i might go down and watch that ;)

By semillama on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:52 pm:

it would be cool to dress up like LOTR and go see the (fake) jesus box

By patrick on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:09 pm:

no sem.

no it wouldnt.

that would have to be the nerdiest suggestion ive heard all week.

its not even nerd chic.

By semillama on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 04:05 pm:

well, let me clarify that. it would be cool to see someone else do that. I would really like to see someone dressed like Saruman peering at this forgery.

By Spider on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

In case anyone is interested, this is a thread which describes the contents of the Toronto exhibit.

By Gee on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 07:38 pm:

last night I went to see the exhibit and it was fantastic! It only takes about thirty minutes to walk through it but oh oh Oh so cool! I walked through Fangorn Forest and Isengard and saw the Dead Marshes. Actually, my friend Faye and I picked up a couple of tiny pebbles from the Osgiliath Ruins and tossed them into the Dead Marshes just for fun. naughty, I know, but it made us giggle.

Oh it was so cool. The One Ring looks more silvery in reality than it does in the movie. and they had Narsil (?) right near the end and it gave me goosepimples! A whole bunch of props and costumes everywhere - I got to touch clothes that touched Aragorn! yummm.

oh it was so nice. Saruman's chamber was amazing. You weren't allowed to walk into that one, but I was so tempted to step over the ropes!

and then after that I went back to my friends house and we watched the special edition DVD and I was so fucking happy! God. I can't believe the different impression I have of this film now. I mean I loved it when I saw it in theaters, but now that I've seen the special edition I can't go back.

for the first little while in the beginning of the film I kept thinking "Okay, this is new so it's cool, but it doesn't really make the film any better.", but then later on - holy cow! I am so in love with Boromir now! In the theater version he totally came off as a bitter power-hungry jerk. but in the DVD his character gets so much more depth - just like in the book. You can totally understand why he tries to take the ring from Frodo. it's not ALL about the power of the ring calling to him, although that does play a part of it.

and the relationship between Gimli and Legolas is such a nicer, smoother transition in this version. in the theater version it seemed like they became close too fast, but ahh, this one flows much more nicely. oh. oh, I'm so happy with this movie. I almost cried when Boromir died this time around. his death was so noble.

I love the part where they're in Rivendell at the secret council and Frodo offers to take the ring, and they show Gandolf close his eyes and then open them again. that was such an amazing move. as if he's relieved that Frodo offers but at the same time he was dreading that he would. so fucking cool. I know it's not new, but I notice that every time I watch the movie. it's probably my very favourite part.

I'll stop now.

By Spider on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 08:35 am:

It's interesting what you say about Boromir, Gee. The first time I saw the movie, I thought, "Gosh, they made him so nice. He was such a sinister force in the book." When I watched the special DVD, it seemed like they brought back more of his potential for evil and the struggle within himself to control it. But I like the character better that way.

By semillama on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 09:02 am:

yeah, after seeing one of the appendices, I am even more firmly of the opinion that the movie was utterly robbed of many an Oscar.

By Spider on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:18 am:

I'm so glad Richard Taylor won an Oscar for best special effects.

22 days left till the Two Towers!

By Spider on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:20 am:

Here is a little schedule of special TTT things on TV during December.

By semillama on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

The new Two Towers trailer is in front of the new Harry Potter movie. You get to see the Mumak, wargs, and more of treebeard and Gollum! i can't wait! geek geek geek geek

By kazoo on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 03:31 pm:

I didn't see the Two Towers trailer when I saw the new Harry Potter this weekend. now I'm sad

By Platypus on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 09:14 pm:

I didn't see it either. And I was sad.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:11 am:

Here are several articles about the TTT with lots of pictures.

MOVIE SPOILERS>>>

I have heard that they have pushed many of the events at the end of TTT (the book) into the beginning of TROTK, for pacing/time's sake. Specifically, I heard Shelob's lair has been pushed.

There will be no prologue to the movie to recap the previous movie -- you'll be taken right into...BIG SPOILER....

Gandalf fighting with the Balrog.

By J on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 12:27 pm:

By semillama on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

i saw the extended version of ROTK in the theatre yesterday. it was cool to see it on the big screen. I am such a geek.

in other LOTR news, this is so utterly cool.

By spunky on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

9 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Spider on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 09:56 am:

I have a dilemma and need your advice:

Do I:

a) see ROTK tomorrow by myself?

or

b) wait to see it with my best friend this weekend?

Now, hang on, hang on....this is not the no-brainer it appears to be.

If I choose (a) -- well, duh, I get to see it right away. But! I'd have to see it by myself. Which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem, and if I didn't already know the story, I'd choose (a) without considering any other options. But since I already know the story, seeing the movie is more about the experience than finding out what happens in the end. And I'd like to share the experience with Rainey, who's also been eagerly anticipating the movie's release.

But! If I choose (b)....Rainey talks during movies. A lot. And I bet she'd want to invite her boyfriend, who lives in the area, and I know they'd spend 75% of the movie making out and the rest of the time asking me what they missed. Needless to say, this is extremely annoying.

But back to (a), the only theatre it's playing in near here that's not completely skanky is at the mall. I hate the mall, and the mall is always crowded anyway, so imagine opening night audience volume on top of ordinary volume...*shudder*. If I choose (b) I can go to a real (albeit skanky) theatre, and it will be okay because I won't be alone.

So what should I do?

By Spider on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:04 am:

OH!! It's playing at the nice theatre by my office!

I'm seeing it tomorrow after work, no question, lonely experience be damned.

I can always neglect to mention it to Rainey that I've already seen it when she visits this weekend. Ooh, and then, even if she talks, it will slightly more okay, because I won't have missed anything.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:22 am:

Anyone who would make out during their first time at Return of the King shouldn't be in the theater.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:29 am:

Excellent point.

By heather on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:58 am:

i'm seein return to witch mountain tonight

after midnight
    a friend [and a friend] bought out the whole theater

tomorrow is going to be uncomfortable but tonight will be fun

By Spider on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:55 pm:

I went to the movie theatre on my lunch break and purchased my ticket for the 4:30 showing. Three hours until I leave!

Should we have some sort of spoiler policy for the board? Maybe we could make two threads -- one for spoilers and one for general "AWESOME!!!1!!" type comments?

By heather on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

too tired to remember much :)

nice

as expected

hobbit smeagle = even creepier

By heather on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:39 pm:

By eri on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

Is that the secret diaries that are on the orlando bloom website? Those were hillarious.

And all I have to say after seeing that movie is I want another slice of THAT!! Damn.

By spunky on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:15 pm:

the last one fucking rocked.

i am not saying anything.

it rocked.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact