The Two Towers

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: The Two Towers
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:37 am:

. . .

WOW.

By Spider on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 09:03 am:

Oh, COME ON! You have to tell us more than that!

By semillama on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:21 am:

no, you have to go see it.

(let me just say that if Andy Serkis is not nominated for a best supporting actor Oscar, all is lost.)

(let me also say that Helm's deep is (so far) the most awesome battle scene I have ever seen)

By Spider on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 11:32 am:

I'm seeing it (I think, I hope) tomorrow night.

Can you answer one question? If so, could you please tell me if the movie's end has any substantial degree of resolution, or if it just sorta...stops and provokes the entire audience to yelp a Moe-like "WHAAAAAAA-?" in unison?

By Platypus on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:26 pm:

It was terrible. It was complete and utter slaughter.

Maybe if I hadn't read the books, I would have liked it, but, as it was, I hurt inside.

I must admit, however, that it was visually quite stunning. The ending...well, I was too busy being pissed off to notice if the audience was confused. It didn't end where the book did, surprise surprise.

Yes, I am a purist with good books, damnit. They did a reasonably good job on the first one and they had to go and screw it all up.

By semillama on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 02:01 pm:

I don't think they screwed it up at all. I think they did a great job of translating the work to the screen. Sure, they took a lot more liberties with the plot but they still remained true to the spirit and heart of the overall story. I sort of knew going in that they would have to change some stuff to have it work as a film.

Plus, the acting was great. Miranda Otto was fantastic, and so was Brad Dourif. They did a good job with the ents as well. My only character beef was that Faramir didn't get enough screen time to really develop his character.

If you want a word by word literal adaption of a book, go wathc Harry Potter again. I mean, it's a MOVIE. IT went from one plotline in the first movie to three plot lines in the second movie, four if you count the Arwen/Aragorn stuff.

(I don't want to talk much about this because I don't want to spoil it for anone).

Terrible? hardly.

By eri on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:44 pm:

I am looking forward to seeing it, but wonder how easy it is to follow with the multiple plot lines going on.

By heather on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:20 pm:

i agree with sem

and it is super, could have used a little less dramatic dialog.

if it had been true to the book it would have been as boring as all hell

except maybe for the part about faramir acting completely differently. that's a bit weird.

i saw it first- nyahnyah

By Platypus on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 11:39 pm:

The Arwen/Aragorn stuff was a little over the top.

I disliked a lot of the liberties they took with the plot because I, personally, thought that it changed some of the fundamental ideas of the book. But whatever. I wasn't expecting a perfect (and, as Heather points out, mindnumbing boring) adaptation of the book--I just didn't like the way it turned out, although I really liked the first one. (Especially the extended version...)

I just don't like it when they fundamentally change characters (Faramir, Treebeard, etc). It irritates me no end.

They also could have done without adding random shit that never happened and putting in more interesting details. I also think that audience members who hadn't read the books would have been royally confused by some things (like why Gollum freaks out when he's tied up with the Elvish ropes).

But whatever.

By wisper on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 07:47 pm:

"It was terrible. It was complete and utter slaughter."

wow, what a tagline that would be.

By Spider on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 02:03 am:

I just got back from seeing it. My reaction is mixed.

I REALLY disliked all the cheese that was liberally scattered about. Like Gandalf rearing up on Shadowfax on the skyline before he saves the day, and Sam's two speeches at the end. Come ON.

I disliked the pacing and lack of good exposition -- I felt like I was relying on my dodgy memory of the books to figure out what was going on, instead of being able to tell from the action onscreen. I had too many "Wait, [who/what/where] are they again?" moments.

That said, I am so happy to be able to say that I was completely blown away by the fabulousness that was Gollum. He was my favorite character in the books, and I am so pleased that the filmmakers and Andy Serkis totally nailed his portrayal. However, I found that his presence onscreen disturbed me terribly. You know the scene in which he first argues with himself? Many people in my theatre laughed at that, but it made me cry. When he wails, "I hate you!"....oh my. I'll see the movie again, just for that scene.

I didn't like the idea behind making the Helm's Deep battle such a big deal, but I was very impressed with its execution. I was also happy that I got to see a brief moment of the Black Gate Opening. I can't wait for the scene in the next movie when it opens for good.

Gah! Another year!

By Nate on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:24 am:

it's epic fantasy. it is supposed to be full of cheese.

By Nate on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 10:06 pm:

hey, and i saw it today.

i thought the bit where frodo is ready to sacrfice himself to the nazgul was a good addition. it let sam save his ass and include some cheesy speeches without going into the shelob bit.

arwen needs to get naked more.

By Platypus on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:18 pm:

hear hear.

as long as they're slaughtering plots, bring on the naked scenes.

By Oatboy on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:55 pm:

Nah. I want to see that hot gay elf from Helm's Deep get
    naked. With Legolas. yeah.

Okay. so. what are elves doing at Helm's Deep again?

By Nate on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 09:48 pm:

kickin ass bro.

By Spider on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 10:59 am:

"i thought the bit where frodo is ready to sacrfice himself to the nazgul was a good addition."

Nate, are you being sarcastic?

By Nate on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 12:33 pm:

no, not at all. those nazgul riding flying beasties are cool looking, and that was some kind of thing that is completely within frodo's cheese ass character.

By Spider on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

Well, now.....why does there have to be cheese in the first place? He wasn't like that in the book.

I didn't like that whole scene. Why did Sam tell Faramir that Frodo has the ring in front of all of Faramir's men? It was supposed to be a secret. I can barely accept that the Nazgul couldn't tell that Frodo was holding the ring out to him because he can't see too well (though couldn't he smell it?). It seemed to me that Frodo and the ring's cover was completely blown in that scene. Does this mean that in the next movie we won't see the part in which Pippin activates a palantir and Sauron thinks Pippin's got the ring? Argh!

PS. I'm glad Pippin grew up a lot in TTT...he bugged the hell out of me in the first movie.

By Nate on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

i haven't read past the first four or two books.

frodo is total cheese ass in the book. frodo is so damn annoying.

i have noticed that the whole frustrated homosexual thing between frodo and sam has been pretty much left out of the movies. i guess that is good? i don't know.

By Spider on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

Hmmm....I don't remember Frodo being so annoying in the book. I'm re-reading the Two Towers now and I'm nearly at the second half, so I'll see what I think in a day or so.

And it wasn't homosexual love...it was tender and abiding devotion between a servant and his master which cannot be comprehended by modern thinking. Or something. Anyway, I'm glad they left it out because, AGAIN, it would have turned into cheese on the screen. Well, it wasn't completely left out: speaking of annoying, would it be too much to ask for Frodo to stop giving Sam those sad-eyed smiles? Please!

By Nate on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

tolkien wasn't a modern thinker? this isn't bronte we're talking about. i think it is much more likely an expression of tolkien's repressed homosexuality.

the books are cheesy. i don't think the movies should be any different.

By Spider on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

You can't deny that he, an upper-middle-class Englishman born in the late 1800s, had different ideas of class, servitude, and duty than you and I have. Think, too, of the legends of King Arthur and all of the knights with their faithful squires....I think this is what Tolkein was going for.

Tolkein was trying to create an epic story, and you can't have an epic without melodrama. I thought the movies crossed over into Cheese when they bashed you over the head with sentimentality (e.g., Sam's ending speeches), which the books were better at avoiding. The ending of the ROTK is pretty gloomy, too (though it's my understanding that the movie will cut those scenes out), and isn't gloom the anti-cheese?

By semillama on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

Actually, I heard that they kept all the gloom in. Jackson, Mortensen and Wood have all stated that the ending of the third movie is "sad" which is pretty much how the books ended.

Unless you are talking about the gloomy series of appendices?

By Spider on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 03:49 pm:

I don't want to spoil things for Nate.......I heard that the S.O.T.S. would not be included...

By Nate on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 03:49 pm:

I might be wrong, but I think Sam's speeches are both in the book, maybe even word-for-word.

By Spider on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 03:58 pm:

Ah, you're right. However, lacking the swelling music and Elijah Wood's big eyes, they surely couldn't be sappier than they were onscreen.

By trace on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 04:31 pm:

it kicked ass.
    period.

By trace on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

"I have noticed that the whole frustrated homosexual thing between frodo and sam has been pretty much left out of the movies."

I dunno, I saw quite a bit of repressed desire in thier eyes when they look at each other...

And the ENTS. Gotta love the ENTS.

By Spider on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 09:53 am:

I thought this was cute.

I got a 42. I am chagrined....and yet, yay! Gollum!

By semillama on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 10:46 am:

I got a 39.

By jack on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

I got a 2.

By Meili on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 12:33 pm:

I scored 37.

I love the movie whole-heartedly, even with some of the sappy stuff. Especially when they are speaking Elvish!

By Platypus on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 12:46 pm:

gollum. I didn't like the last question, though, because if I ever meet Peter Jackson I plan to beat the shit out of him for completely slaughtering the second book. This was not an option.

By Nate on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

the second book? or the third and fourth books?

By semillama on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 01:43 pm:

In fact, Tolkien meant for it to be on e large volume and the book company told him he had to split it into three volumes, although I don't know if originally he had the work divided up into the separate "books".

This isn't turning into a game of Tolkien oneupmanship is it?

By Nate on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 02:10 pm:

one volume of seven books, buddy.

the bible is usually one volume, too, isn't it.

By Nate on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

and no, my tolkien knowledge isn't worthy of any game. i just happen to know that there are seven books.

By Spider on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 02:15 pm:

Man, you should see some of the real Tolkein geeks I've found....they've read, like, all of the Books of Lost Tales, all of Tolkein's letters...they know the Silmarillion like Jerry Falwell knows his Bible... it's heavy.

Oh, and Sem! One of these freaks said that he had read an interview with Elijah Wood in which he said that he (Wood) cried when he saw the ending of the ROTK for the first time, so you're right about the gloom being left in. But apparently Jackson has said -- either on the DVD commentary or in an article -- that the scene that I hinted at above will not be in the film and that the taste of it that we got to see in the FOTR is all that we'll get to see. Unless it's in the extended version of the ROTK...

By trace on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 10:57 pm:

After spending 20 on the first release dvd of fellowship then finding about the extended version, I am going to have to force myself to wait until the extended of two towers comes out.

Of course, after return is released, then the extended version, I suppose a platimum complete trilogy set will come out....

money, it's a drag

By Dougie on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 11:44 am:

"I was also happy that I got to see a brief moment of the Black Gate Opening"

Yeah, that was cool. Was it just me, or was that whole scene ripped from Wizard of Oz when they're trying to get into the wicked witch's castle to save Dorothy? And when they slid down the loose rock in front of the gate and the 2 guards couldn't see them after they hid themselves under a blanket, I was like, "Yeah right. Eh, fuck it. Must keep suspending disbelief."

Also, I did a "Moe-like "WHAAAAAAA-?" at the end too, but didn't notice any of the rest of the audience doing the same. I was annoyed by the family in front of us who must've set a world movie-going record of getting up to go pee.

I'm going to re-read the series. Been a long time.

By Margret on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 11:56 am:

Only a 41; Rhi is a bigger goob than I am. I am ashamed to say that if there were more questions about Legolas scoring at 3, I would have had an even lower score. I can't stop drooling about him. :( Rererereading now.

By Spider on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 12:28 pm:

I drooled over Boromir -- I've admired Sean Bean since his Richard Sharpe days. I guess I take my men like I take my art: a little ugly.

By Meili on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

Aragorn...he's dreamy.

By semillama on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

Dougie - remember that was the elven cloak they were hiding under, which as one of it's perks is to hide you from prying eyes.

I gotta pick me up one of those.

I just read the latest issue of Cinefex, with a feature on the Two Towers. It's well worth going to B&N or Borders and reading in the store (most folks balk at the $10 cover price, but it is an industry mag after all). Anyway, it's all about the fx used in the movie and has a lot of really neat details.

Like the trolls that open and close the Black Gate are Mountain Trolls, which are 1 and a half times bigger than cave trolls and those two were extra muscular to boot, from spending their lives opening and closing that sucker.

By eri on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

I got a 36 and I am just now getting ready to read the books for the first time. Crazy huh? I tried to read them as a kid, but didn't have the patience.

I must have weird taste in men because Legolas, Aragorn, Boromir, they were all OK but whatever. I actually think Sean Astin looked hot it these movies.

By Margret on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

I liked both Bor and Phar! I actually have serious weakness for any man who looks better dirty than you imagine he looks clean. But, really, Orlando Bloom is appealing to some sort of desire to cruise 18 year old boys I didn't know I had. I think it was the scene in FOTR where he's bustin' with the long bow AK style. It looked so -- ruthlessly efficient and dead sexy.

By Nerd Patrol on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

you all need help.

By Spider on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 02:54 pm:

What, *you* don't get excited about anything?

Eri, you should rent the extended version DVD and listen to the actors' commentary -- Sean Astin is just adorable.

By Spider on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

Margret, I think Orlando Bloom is around 25, if that helps lessen the shame. :)

By eri on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

It isn't that I don't get excited about anything. We have the extended version of it and you're right. Sean Astin is absolutely adorable. I just thought that maybe I was weird because I find him the sexiest out of all of them.

By agatha on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 07:33 pm:

MARGRET!

(hi.)

By moonit on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 05:38 pm:

Try sitting in a theatre with three noisy boys arguing over if that shot is Mount Cook or the main divide.

Oh and cheering when Craig Parker (that other elf) gets killed.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:57 am:

I was sad when he died. :( He was so prissy -- I liked him.

By eri on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:54 am:

I liked him too. Don't know why, though. I was sad when he died, cuz for some reason I liked him better than Legolas.

By moonit on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 01:46 pm:

I think seeing him (and half the other movie) in our crap hospital 'drama' soapie just put me off.

He did look good with long blonde hair.

I'm a sucker for guys with long long hair or shaved heads.

Why is that?

By Spider on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 09:41 am:

Here is some news about the Two Towers Extended Edition DVD that's coming out in (I think) November.

So -- Yay, Boromir flashbacks! Yay, Denethor! Yay, explanation for why Faramir was made into a jerk! Plus, more Ents.

By spunky on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:58 am:

Well, I guess the extened version is going to be out in time for my birthday, but dammit, potter fans did not have to wait so friggin long

By eri on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:20 pm:

We're having to wait until 2004 for the next movie!!!!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact