Capturing the Friedmans

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Capturing the Friedmans
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlfe on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 12:39 am:

one of the top 5 documentaries I've ever seen.

its about a family where the dad and the youngest son were accused of hundreds of counts of sexual abuse/pedophilia/whathaveyou....

There never was a trial, so the movie basically puts together the evidence, shows the bad policework and the questions that remain unanswered and it leaves you confused... there is a lot of home movies that the Friedmans made during the process of putting together a defense, etc. that is fascinating as well...

the DVD is a very complete 2 disc package with lots of extra footage into the investigation, and debates and responses from investigators and journalists, etc at the premiere of the movie where they go at it with each other over the content of the film....

just fascinating, tragic, sad, allegorical, lots of things

very highly recommmended.

By Spider on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:14 am:

I just watched the extra footage (meaning, I saw it last weekend, and I only watched the extra footage, not the documentary), and I was left with believing that the father did not commit the violent rapes he was accused of, but he most likely did something inappropriate (whether it be touching some of the kids in a suggestive, if not sexual, way, or what). I didn't believe the students could have been assaulted so traumatically and yet never have any physical injuries. But remember the McMartin case, where it was discovered that the daycare workers didn't molest the children, but one of the children was being molested by her father or step-father? There's probably a kernel of truth behind the allegations, but just what that is hasn't been revealed yet.

I think the son is innocent. However, growing up with a father who is a pedophile, he might have unconsciously picked up on some mannerisms or other basically innocuous qualities of his father that could have implicated him unwittingly.

(You know what I'm saying? If I have alcoholic parents, I might not drink myself, but I still might act like an alcoholic in all the other ways -- lying, breaking promises, etc. -- just because I picked up my parents' behavior.)

The older son, David, really scared me, and not just because he was a clown. I couldn't believe the comment he made about wishing his mother's suicide attempt had been successful. I didn't understand why he hated her so much. Is that brought out in the documentary?

By wisper on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:52 pm:

yes.
    David says that she pushed her husband to plead guilty so that a deal could be made for Jesse (which never happened) and then pushed Jesse to plead guilty to avoid a trial because a jury would never let him go.
    since much of the legal discussing is all David's word vs. Mom's word vs. Jesse's word vs. The lawyer, you never know.

They also hate her because she never stood behind them or said they weren't guilty. She was just kinda.....there.
    That's not what she says, though.

it's a big goddamn mess.

You should watch the documentary. It's exactly the same feel as the features.
    And you get to hear this one "victim" go into detail about the most insane (and humanly impossible) account of abuse ever.

The police work was just..... bullshit.

Obviously he was a pedophile. But not the satanic blood-orgy, 12 kids at once in his basement guy that they made him out to be.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact