Starship Troopers, Baby, yeah!!!!!!!!

sorabji.com: Best movie you ever saw: Starship Troopers, Baby, yeah!!!!!!!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Justin on Wednesday, May 20, 1998 - 08:59 pm:
    How could anyone NOT think this is the most bombish movie ever?!?!??!?!??!??!??!?

By Dave on Wednesday, May 20, 1998 - 11:29 pm:
    Do you pronounce the second "b" in bombish?

Please erase the previous post.

By Christopher on Thursday, May 21, 1998 - 12:35 am:
    Casper Van Dien is amazingly beautiful, and he has a really nice ass. Aside from that I can't really remember anything about this flick at all. Bugs! Oh yeah, wasn't there something about bugs?

By Dave on Thursday, May 21, 1998 - 02:39 am:
    Wow, thanks Mark. Maybe you should erase the erase request and then erase these first two sentences just to keep everything flowing, y'know?

I haven't seen this movie but I've been disappointed by movies like this in the past and I figure the commercials show all the good parts (except the naughty parts) anyway so the commercials are enough for me. Like Titanic, I pretty much know the story and I've seen clips and commercials so I don't think I really need to see this one. Besides, that DiCaprio guy is a total pussy. Has anyone seen Solaris? Now there's a space adventure.

By PetRock on Thursday, May 21, 1998 - 06:36 am:
    Dave,

the only reason to see this movie is to see Caspar's ass -- Christopher is right about this one. (Hey, even if you're straight, Caspar's got an ass anyone can love!)

o/w, all I remember about this flick was bugs and nazi stormtroopers....or something to that effect.

By Nate on Thursday, May 21, 1998 - 10:09 am:
    Starship troopers. huh. uh huh huh huh.

I deemed the plot a little too deep and skipped that one. I figure it's a showcase for CGI and violence, and both of those tend to piss me off.

I didn't know about Caspar's Ass, though.

By Skooter on Friday, July 3, 1998 - 03:41 pm:
    the book was better. anyone who disagrees is a shortsighted mainstream fool.

and casper can keep his ass to himself.

By DARRIN on Friday, July 17, 1998 - 04:11 pm:
    I just had the displeasure of wacthing STARSHIP TROOPERS!heh This film is a primary example of all F/X and no CONTENT! I rank this film as being only second to SHOW GIRLS!heh Without question, some of the worst acting and dialogue that I have ever beared witness to!hehe Was it enjoyable to watch!? Yes! Only if seen in the comfort of your own home without having to shell out $8 and shlep to your local movie theatre!heheh As for the lead CASPER VAN DIEN!? Yes, he is a PRETTY BOY who also needs to take a few refresher courses on how to act!heh He's the same new kid on the block that starred as JAMES DEAN in the RELEASED TO VIDEO "RACING WITH DESTINY". And I believe he is currently slated to star in the latest remake of TARZAN! Let's hope his acting has vastly improved by then!heheheheheh

By DARRIN on Friday, July 17, 1998 - 04:13 pm:
    I just had the displeasure of watching STARSHIP TROOPERS!heh This film is a primary example of all F/X and no CONTENT! I rank this film as being only second to SHOW GIRLS!heh Without question, some of the worst acting and dialogue that I have ever beared witness to!hehe Was it enjoyable to watch!? Yes! Only if seen in the comfort of your own home without having to shell out $8 and shlep to your local movie theatre!heheh As for the lead CASPER VAN DIEN!? Yes, he is a PRETTY BOY who also needs to take a few refresher courses on how to act!heh He's the same new kid on the block that starred as JAMES DEAN in the RELEASED TO VIDEO "RACING WITH DESTINY". And I believe he is currently slated to star in the latest remake of TARZAN! Let's hope his acting has vastly improved by then!heheheheheh

By Quidam on Friday, July 17, 1998 - 04:33 pm:
    I'd have to agree with the above. Heinlens' (sp?) book of the same name was a good junk food novel, even if it was a little too right-wing pro military for my tastes. But even so, it was a fun read, and made for some thoughtful commentary. So I went to see Starship Troopers expecting something similar.

Opps.

Paul Verhovan (sp?), you should have stopped after Robocop.

And casting Doogie Howser and the Gestopo was a bad move. I have nothing against Neil Patrick Harris per se, but as of yet, I don't think he can play a convincing Dark Nazi Scientist type.

By DARRIN on Friday, July 17, 1998 - 08:24 pm:
    Quidam, thanks for reminding me of DOOGIE HOWSER, M.D.!heh Not since TONY CURTIS in SPARTACUS has an actor been so MISCAST!hehhehehehee Albeit, HARRIS only appeared in the film for a few minutes. A few minutes too much, eh!?heh See QUIDAM, you and I are capable of GETTING ALONG!heh At least we share the same views on FILMS!hehhh PAUL VERHOEVEN also directed TOTAL RECALL.

By Quidam on Friday, July 17, 1998 - 10:09 pm:
    Don't remind me, Total Recall was a Total Bore. I mean, yeah, the guy does have a certain style, but either he has a real penchant for Reganite cinema or his vision gets twisted in the Hollywood money making machine. Either way, I haven't enjoyed any films of his since the original Robocop (and that I only liked because I've always liked Peter Weller and I thought the Frankenstein parable was fun). I dunno,Verhoeven has always reminded me of a Riddely Scott that read too many Fangorias.

As for us getting along, yeah, when you post about stuff besides fart smelling and prying open peoples orafices with rescue equipement, sometimes you can be ok. Keep it up. Please.

By Starchy on Saturday, July 18, 1998 - 05:09 am:
    If you ever read the Philip K. Dick novella that Total Recall was based on (We Can Remember it For You Wholesale), the film jumps a level from total crap to complete travesty. The original text was a beautifully constructed mindfuck, and to turn it into Schartzenaction... *sigh*

By Quidam on Saturday, July 18, 1998 - 06:03 pm:
    Starchy,

aint that always the way? Aside from Blade Runner, I don't think any of his work survived in a palatable form to the big screen. And even then, Blade Runner is a special case because that film only shares vague resemblances to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Speaking of artistic visions though, this reminds me. You know Geiger? The moody guy that designed the alien for Alien and Sil for, uh, I think it was Species? Well, apparently Mr. Geiger hated the final result of Alien (I'm not talking about the other Alien movies, only the original). It didn't live up to his bio-mechanoid vision or something. Anyway, he wasn't pleased and swore he'd never work on a movie again.

That was until the Species crew convinced him to design thier she-creature. And he went bonkers over it too. He loved that film. It was most true to his dream. Well, that's what I've heard anyway. Personally, I thought Species was one of the worst collection of images committed to celluloid since Eve of Destruction (hmm..let's cast Gregory Hines as a bad ass robot hunter....sure.). I'm still regretting wasting my 8 bucks on Species.

Or something.

By DARRIN on Saturday, July 18, 1998 - 08:57 pm:
    QUIDAM, whose to say that SISKEL & EBERT do not share the same VORACIOUS SEXUAL APPETITE and/or RACY HUMOR as I!?heh Or any FILM LOVER for that matter!?hehh One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the next. If we judged all of HOLLYWOOD by what goes on behind closed doors, half of them would be guilty of something, no!?heh As for PETER WELLER!? His best role to date was in FIRST BORN! Where he portrayed a malicious STEP-FATHER! ROBO COP managed to find it's niche by attaining a cult following, but thats as far as it went!heh

By Starchy on Sunday, July 19, 1998 - 01:50 am:
    I wouldn't say that Blade Runner shared only a "vague resemblance" to DADOES, but rather that it only encompassed about half of the original story and theme.

As for Giger, I think his best film-related visual design was for a film that was never released, by the name of Killer Condoms... check out the book (no, not the website) www.hrgiger.com for some shots...

By Quidam on Sunday, July 19, 1998 - 03:42 am:
    Darrin,

Yeah, Peter Weller was excellent in First Born, but personally, I'd say his best role was as Buckaroo Banzai. True, it, like Robo Cop, is only a cult film, but it's still one of my fav's, if only because the acting was so..... weird.

Starchy,

Perhaps DADOES is more like Blade Runner than I give it credit. I just feel that the major themes of the book, missing in the film almost entirely, make the two very distinct. Without Scott's vision for that film, Blade Runner would have been just another early 80's hack sci-fi movie, especially in it's watered down DADOES format.

By Quidam on Sunday, July 19, 1998 - 03:44 am:
    And as for Siskel and Ebert's sexual appetites..... that's something I'd really not like to witness. I'm giving that a thumbs down.

By Lucy Phurre on Thursday, January 7, 1999 - 01:12 pm:

I recently read an article in Entertainment about the Nazi subtext in the Starship Troopers movie.
    Then I watched the movie again.
    They were right.

Also, it had little else in common with the book (which was also pretty fascist, but not specifically Nazi oriented)

I didn't like it even before I read the article.

By Cannon7 on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 04:36 am:

Read 'Forever War', trust me on this.

By Hojoman on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 08:03 pm:

I don't know what the problem is in liking a movie for its blood, guts and gore. Not all movies are meant to be sophisticated. Some are meant to just be pleasurable. Is there anything wrong with that? Starship Troopers is one of the best examples of this. It was pure violence (with some boobies too!) and it had no major theme (unless you count to way too obvious and weak symbolism of Nazi Germany). That's the greatness of Starship Troopers!

By wisper on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 06:29 pm:

what are you talking about? gore had nothing to do with it, Starship Troopers is satire at it's finest.

By eri on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 06:50 pm:

I don't recall any gore, or gratuitous tit flashing or anything like that. I thought the movie was a joke at best. One of those things you watch once and then forget you watched it.
    Nothing spectacular. Just another movie.

By Darth Vader on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 08:02 pm:

More than another Movie. It was a pretty bleak satire on Wartime Propaganda. So what war were the StarShip Troopers(SS Troopers) really fighting? Yes it was the NAZI Invasion of Russia.
    The Bugs live in Communes.(Communists) they have a Brain Bug that leads them. The Brain Bugs look like the hats of the Commissars that led the Russian troops in the early days of WW2.The movie has countless references to NAZI and Allied propoganda movies. The Joke..if that is the word, is would you join the "Roughnecks" in their good fight, as the Movie asks you at the end? Who started the War? The Movie works pretty well on the subtext level, but is not strong elsewhere. It also satirizes "Embedded Journalists", Equal Gender treatment of Soldiers, the Internet Wars.
    It was produced in 1997, just 3 years after the first Iraq war.

By Nate on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 09:16 pm:

i agree with darth. don't judge a movie by its trailers.

nice DARRIN thread,eh,heh. with a little cumshot of lucy in there.

someone needs to raise a good oatmeal thread from the dead.

and i need to put thse animal crackers away. for as good an idea a 5lb 4oz barrel of animal crackers seemed when i was in costco... there really should be a warning label for pot smokers.

thank god i don't have a can of easy cheez on hand.

thank god i killed that tub of frosting last night.

ha. i just stoner-fu'd a fly. FUCK YOU FLY. your days of wonton annoyance are over. won-ton. wonton. wanton. won-ton.

i'm going to lay some brie and carrs down on these animal crackers. mortaring this meal with beer, i am. i imagine by late morning tomorrow i'll be passing gas in a cacophany of circus squeels, grunts, growls, whinneys and elephantine trumpeting. you hear that? like a herd of buffalo through dry bamboo, motherfucker is rumbling down to colon city.

what happened?

mark 10:25, that's what i say. where you going, cheney? me and the devil want to talk to you down in colon city. we'll make you a deal, and i suggest you sit down at this table ready to deal, because your chances up stairs are slim, none and fuck you, you ass. cerviche, mi hombre? i've got a rockman here who will fuck you six ways to september with his granite manpiece. like sandpaper, my friend, a rasp of disturbingly familiar dimensions. there is colonoscopy and colonectomy, dick o pal, and you know which one we're talking about.

of course, you wouldn't like that, and i wouldn't suggest you like it or even suggest you experience it, even if you are into unplesant events just for the experintial value. it isn't worth the price of admission, believe you me.

so why did i bring it up? why did i bring it up. i don't rightly know, and since you don't rightly know either, let's drop it. let's drop it and you sit right down and we cut a deal.

and don't give me any of that blah blah blah bullshit. it isn't impossible but it is so fucking unlikely. you're a goner, buddy. you're going south for certain unless you change your ways. and significantly. seriously.

you're getting so many chances too. each heart attack should be a wake up call, making you realize your mortality and the error of your ways.

but no, you stubborn SOB. that makes you a perfect candidate for the southern satanic railroad, if you catch my allusion.

WHOOOWHOOOO! all aboard, you tumerous whore, you walking cancer.

take those teeth out and get your crooked cunt mouth ready.

your hypocracy has been moulded into the cock of your eternity. yes, yes loosen those cheeks, it won't be comfortable. oh my, i know, isn't it though. we had so much raw material to work with. and even so, you're lucky we gave it balls.

By patrick on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 01:53 pm:

By eri on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 07:34 pm:

Geez she's getting big Patrick. It just doesn't seem like it was that long ago that you had her. I am so out of touch sometimes.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact