Now it's "Saving Private Ryan"...

sorabji.com: Best movie you ever saw: Now it's "Saving Private Ryan"...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By -oDDBALL oDD- on Monday, July 27, 1998 - 09:20 am:
    Two days later the movie is still bringing up emotions.

By PetRock on Monday, July 27, 1998 - 11:22 pm:
    The V.A. had to hire extra phone operators to handle all the veterans who were experiencing flashbacks....the movie is that realistic for them.

And I agree with you....this movie just may shove its way into first place for me as well. I'll probably be seeing it again in a few weeks since I just found out that there was a key scene that I just did not catch (all those Germans looked alike you know).

By -oDDBALL oDD- on Tuesday, July 28, 1998 - 09:14 am:
    I was talking to my best friend (who lives 2000 miles away) and advised him to see the film. He told me that his father was at the Omaha landing, and that his father described to him several events that were graphically depicted in the film.
    Most notably, standing on the deck of a support ship and watching the Germans annihilate the American soldiers when the front of the transport boat came down.

When he told me about his father's adventures, I did finally remember hear his father speak of it.

I also remember him describing washing down the stretchers after the attack and the blood running off the deck.

By
Skottey on Tuesday, September 22, 1998 - 11:44 am:

Very good movie, I saw it last Friday. Certainly the best War movie I have ever seen. Possibly the best movie I have seen.

By Some guy on Wednesday, January 6, 1999 - 04:04 pm:

Gee, a big bad mean ol' German soldier cruely kills a Jewish soldier. Really original stuff. Why didn't Spielberg also show a big bad ol' Nazi stealing candy from a baby? Someday an American film will show German troops realistically instead of as cartoon figures.

Other than showing limbs flying there was nothing realistic about this film in terms of how the war was fought. My dad (a vet of WWII France) said the comment "Long periods of sheer boredom punctuated by brief moments of sheer terror." summed up the experience best.

By Skottey on Thursday, March 25, 1999 - 11:15 am:

Well Some Guy, if you think you can do a better job of brining the "real thing" to the big screen, do it.

By Cyst on Friday, March 26, 1999 - 08:47 am:

to be fair, someone would need to front him about a zillion point three dollars first.

the movie looked good. and I liked seeing that jewish guy again; I was afraid "dazed and confused" would be the end of his film career.

By Margret on Friday, March 26, 1999 - 10:01 am:

If it's the actor I'm thinking of, I saw him on an episode of ABCs brilliant tv show "Cupid," before they foolishly cancelled it. I didn't think saving Private Ryan was that great. I thought it was good...uh...but filmically speaking, it was a damned good movie bracketed before and after by explanation, which I thought detracted.

By Markus on Friday, March 26, 1999 - 03:17 pm:

"Cupid" was good and entertaining, but the cancellation that network executives will burn in hell for (and there's no doubt that they will) was that one about the ex-cop released from Hell to track down escapees, the name of which escapes me presently. I never watch teevee, but that one had me planning my schedule around it. Ah, "Brimstone", that was it.

By Dave on Saturday, March 27, 1999 - 12:26 am:

I miss Alien Nation. Get it: alienation? Get it? Good show and the chick with the fat head and spots who was the romantic interest of the human detective fella was totally fine. I'd stroke her back alright. That dude who did the adolescent alien angry kid thing needed to lighten up a bit. What a drag he was.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact