Garden vs. Deer - round 1

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Garden vs. Deer - round 1
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Lawanda on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 02:06 pm:

Ok, I put that message up yesterday about building a little fence to keep the furballs out of my veggie garden. Fine and dandy.

Well, around 3pm yesterday after the dentist appt., I came home and decided to see how the fence was working. Lo and behold, there is Ms. Deer in mid-snack. Seems she just jumped the fence, no problemo. She looks at me, jumps up to the retaining wall, and rams the fence right over.

My 100lb. vicious Rottweiller wakes up from his slumber in the garage and comes to say hello to me. I point at the deer and say "You could at least wake up to bark at it for goodness sake!" He gives me a look that says "Not likely." He stares at the deer walking up the hill to their bedding place. THEN he wants up on the hill to kick up dirt and act all tough. Yeesh.

Various tomato plants, hot peppers, cucumber, and beans were feasted upon.

Hubby gets home and I bitch about the deer. I want a working dog to patrol the hill (with one of those collar systems). No way, one spoiled rotten dog is enough. Deer fencing? Nope, too expensive, and will hinder the view of the hill. I have to give in to those two observations. So he builds me a better fence that we will finish this weekend. I also added two trellises next to the retaining wall to further impede the deer. I mark the plants that were dined on, so I can tell if there is new foraging that I don't catch her in the act of.

End of round 1.

By Nate on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 02:50 pm:

what if you surrounded your vegetable garden with rosebushes?

By Rhiannon on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 03:22 pm:

You know how marigolds will keep rabbits away with
    just their scent? Do certain plants work like
    that with deer? (The rosebush idea is cool, but
    the deer still have to approach the garden and my
    decide that tasty cucumbers are worth a few
    scratches from the thorns.)

On second thought, how about tiger traps with
    punji sticks and barbed wire at the bottom?

By Markus on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 03:33 pm:

Bobcat urine.

By J on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 03:45 pm:

How do you go about getting a bobcat to urinate for you?

By Wisper on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 03:48 pm:

ask nicely?

dig a moat.

By Lawanda on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 03:56 pm:

Ha! I scoff at all of you.

They don't give a rat's ass about coyote urine, bobcat urine, bloodmeal, scented soap, professional deer repellent, or rosebushes. They have very thick hides, and here's how the eating pattern goes: In a good year, they eat what they want. In a bad year, they eat Everything. One year, they even ate a Yucca bush. Have you ever seen one? Very sharp, tough foliage.

There are few things that stop them. One is a very tall fence: 7' on flat ground, 10' on the downside of a hill. Or high fence followed by a wide fence: 6' fence with shrubs behind it, with a 4'fence three feet from the shrubs. Hence, the 4' fence sitting on a 4' retaining wall, followed by two trellises. Hope this works.

Or a big or fiesty dog barking its fool head off whenever it even smells a deer. Like a Rottweiler(yeah right), Blue Heeler, or Australian Shepard. They have to be trained not to chase past a certain point, or they will be destroyed by the city. My record with dogs as "outside" pets is not good. I had a list of all the things a dog would not do in my house (sit on the furniture, sleep in a night) and I have let or even encouraged Farro to do all of them.

By Waffleboy on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 05:37 pm:

sawed off 12 gauge

By Lawanda on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 06:51 pm:

This particular deer is living in the city limits, the lucky thing.

By Waffleboy on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 06:54 pm:

ok then, tek9 with a silencer, no one will knwo the difference, incelebration, make romantic dinner out of the event. fix up your wonderful veggies with some good deer steaks on the barby, natural light beer to wash it down and talk about how dumb that deer was to wander in YOUR garden.

By Nate on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 07:18 pm:

natty LIGHT? c'mon man... natty ICE.

By Lucy Phurre on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 07:22 pm:

Natty Boh

By Nate on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 08:15 pm:

natty dred

By Margret on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 08:19 pm:

Natty Boh Dark, $4/pitcher, Mt. Royal Tavern.

By Lucy Phurre on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 08:00 pm:

Eeeyew... Natty Boh Dark....
    Natty Boh was just not meant to be gourmet beer.
    I remember when we were happy not to get a rat in one of the cans in a six-pack.

By Lawanda on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 08:51 pm:

Uh, is that like Coors?

Well, today hubby was looking out the window, and the whole deer family was feasting on the hill! That's where they need to stay. I don't even care what they eat on my hill beds. As long as they don't jump down into the veggies.

We watched them for awhile, Ma, young buck with velvets, another doe, and two really cute spotted fawns. Hubby was standing by the retaining wall just in case they were thinking about it so he could shoo them away. Farro came and started snorting at them, so they left. Tried to get a picture, but I was too late.

These deer are a lot like my dog. Mischevious over-eaters.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact