Family Expressions

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Family Expressions
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gee on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 02:12 am:

Do any of you guys have any expressions or stories or jokes or wotnot that have been passed down through your family?

I have to write an essay on some kind of the above, and after thinking about it for awhile, I realized that about 98% of the expressions and jokes that keep popping up in my family are either from movies (disqualifying them, since it has to be something with no Obvious author. booo!) or they might be just a teensy bit offensive to people I don't know very well (like the Newfie jokes my mother used to tell me when I was a wee tot). I started to get so desperate, I was ready to make something up, but then I remembered my mother's lil' expression: "It's raining in moscow."

Whenever we're out together and it starts to rain, she always says: "It's raining in Moscow."

To which I reply "That's funny. It's raining here too."

And then I laugh. Because it's funny.

So, I was just curious about other people. Do you guys have any Expressions or etc. that've been in your family for awhile now?

By Fetidbeaver on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 05:52 am:

It's not a family outing, unless someone's pouting.

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:09 am:

My mom always said when it was raining and the sun came out,that the devil was beating his wife.

By Waffles on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 12:06 pm:

my grandma said that too.....

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 12:28 pm:

A few more: 1: If I could buy him for what he,s worth and sell him for what he thinks he,s worth,I,d be a millionare.2:Put your wishes in one hand and shit in the other,and see which one fills up faster.3:She wasn,t born,a buzzard shit on a rock and the sun hatched her.

By Jinafishes on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 02:20 pm:

Argh, everytime I hear that wish in one hand bit I think of that damn foresaken Green Day song about the amphetamines and stuff.

Make it STOP.

By Waffles on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 02:25 pm:

off the subject......sometimes, i think their is an alternate sorabji...if you notice some of the message boards require passwords to create or to add a thread...sometimes i think some of the others are given the secret address and passwords, and they have their two way mirror..looking and laughin at us like lab rats, but perhaps i am being a little too paranoid...but then again sometimes i feel like i did in high school......out of the loop, out of the clique......but i like you guys nonetheless

By Sergei Alexandrovich on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 03:09 pm:

Tell your mother to knock it off. We're getting sick of all the damn rain.

By Rhiannon on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 04:19 pm:

We say "sometimes you gotta do whatcha don't wanna do" (with a slow sarcastic drawl). This used to be what our mom told us all the time, but lately we've appropriated it for our own use and say it whenever we feel like it. Usually to her. Does this count?

By Jinafishes on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 04:24 pm:

Sometimes my friend and I would say "You do the math" to each other for the purpose of it's sincere lameness to say in the first place.

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 04:32 pm:

I still tell my kids that I don,t pull money out of my ass,and that they would tear up Jesus if they could get their hands on him.

By Semillama on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 06:21 pm:

Some of my familiy odd sayings:
    "fuck a duck"

using "mooch" instead of "move", like "mooch over a little bit."

Calling remote controls "flickers" whereas most other people I know call them changers (which makes sense) or clickers (which doesn't).

My dad still says he has to "go potty" when he needs to use the restroom, which I attribute to being a parent.

By Agatha on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:14 pm:

waffles: you are right.

By Antigone on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:34 pm:

Two expressions in my family have kind of merged.

Expression 1, referring to people who like to get into trouble:

"If there was a turd in the middle of the road, do you go over and smell it?"

Expression 2, a fun musing my dad would say when trying to amuse me as a child, and to annoy christians:

"If Jesus shit, did it smell?"

These have, of course, merged to:

"If Jesus shit in the middle of the road, would you go over and smell it?"

By Gee on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 01:49 am:

I say "potty" to annoy my mother. When she has to uh, GO...she says she's going to the crapper. If I say I have to go to the potty she glares at me and says "Where???" real sternly.

I never noticed anything about passwords.

By J on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 02:50 am:

I got into the habit of going potty,when my kids were little,I had to leave the door open to keep a eye on Ryan.At least I lock the door when we have company.

By MoonIt on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 12:45 am:

Our family sit round the table at xmas dinner and the jokes start rolling... the groaners, the puns... it's pretty damn obvious on that day at least that we're all related

By Jinafishes on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 11:32 am:

I've been trying to pay attention to my mom's sayings lately since this brought it to my attention. "Busier than a billygoat with two peckers."

By Waffles on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 01:17 pm:

I'm so broke I CAN'T even pay attention

By Waffles on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 01:18 pm:

next some one asks you for a "light" respond by syaing. "I am the light, what you seek is fire!"

and also when ever you get hit up for "change" repsond "change comes from within"

By Pamela on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 01:53 pm:

LOL

I am going to use those two. Those are hilarious!

By Pamela on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 01:56 pm:

Oh yeah, there is one expression that my husband uses a lot, which I had never heard before I heard him say it:

"Six of one, half a dozen of another,"

I guess it's like saying "it's the same thing, just said differently" or something like that.

By Jinafishes on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 02:24 pm:

Same difference.

By Pamela on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 02:51 pm:

right

By Frederick on Saturday, September 18, 1999 - 06:57 am:

wow, my mom says that all the time. (6 of 1/2 dozen of the other).

I guess shes not as out of date as I thought, or maybe your hubby is old!?!

(you tell me)

By MoonIt on Sunday, September 19, 1999 - 04:25 am:

oh yeah... when something spooky happens my family blames Uncle Georges Eyebrows (they were so long they blew in the wind) And it goes with a little guesture where you put your hands over your eyebrows and pretend your fingers are blowing in the wind.

yeah thats weird.

man.

By NZAngel on Sunday, September 19, 1999 - 05:46 am:

ROFL

classic

By Mavis on Thursday, August 31, 2000 - 06:15 pm:

my father's favorite expression, used to express angst at a person or situation.

"fuck 'em and feed 'em beans"

i have always found this hilarious. being a vegan and all, i would like few things better than getting fucked and fed beans so i think it's funny to say this as an insult....plus you'd have to know my dad.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact