forgotten rock stars

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: forgotten rock stars
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Sarah on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 05:24 am:

what the hell ever happened to Axl Rose and that Sling or whatever the hell that hairy guitar player's name was. what ever happened to Guns n Roses?

no seriously, i want to know.

the reason is because i've decided to punish myself for no good reason at all by listening to the radio instead of my tapes. and i swear to god all of the bands sound exactly the same. the same male voice, somewhere between Dave Matthews and GreenDay, and all of the songs have exactly the same melody. it's fucking weird.

and so i was at the gym tonight and heard oooohh ohhhhh sweet child of miiiiiine and i was like, what the fuck? i haven't heard this one in so long. i didn't like those guys back when they were on MTV every 5 minutes. that would be way back when i even HAD a TV to watch. but shit, compared to what is on the radio now, i'll take Guns n Roses any day.

By Wisper on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 10:08 am:

Axl Lives!
    a few months ago a good portion of an issue of SPIN was dedicated to that very question. Where's Axl? He was last seen in 1998 getting arrested in a Phoenix airport for not allowing the security people to check his luggage. Spin had his mug-shot... he looked the same, red hair (cut short now, yes you heard me, *short*) and a wee bit older, but still the same Axl. That was the last time he was seen in public.
    Anytime I talk to someone in LA I ask if they've seen him ;) I picture him in that same tight white denim outfit with the giant bandana, drunk and lying in a ditch somewhere, screaming at the passers-by : "DON'T FUCKIN LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT, IM FUCKIN' AXL ROSE!!!!" then he throws a bottle of Jack D. at them and throws up. I can see it all now.
    Anyway, the article was really good, it went on to describe various world-wide Axl sightings ('I think I saw him going into a ToysRUs in texas...') and interviews with musicians who were working with him on the mysterious new album (what's it been.....6 years?). I can scan the pic if you want.
    I heard GnR's new song just last night. It's called 'Oh My God' and the mp3 is out there, if you look. It's a little more electronic-y, chalk that up to NIN's old guitar player (oh Robin, you lucky boy...), and it ain't 'You Could Be Mine', but it is GnR, no doubt.
    I missed that drunken wife beating prick, goddamn it.

By Sister on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 10:47 am:

GNR are gonna be comin' out with a double CD... a live album at the end of november.... a NEW MATERIAL GNR CD is comin' out in january... NO SLASH though, soit's not really GNR. slash is doing stuff with SLASH'S SNAKEPIT, that new album is also due in januaty but without eric dover, the super cool lead singer from the last snakepit album. not that i'm a big fan or anything.

i liked that SPIN cover a lot, but i wish that they would've mentioned that SHANNON HOON, one of axl's best friends, died during his "quiet time", so perhaps that added to his total dppression or drunken stupor or whatever it is. i love shannon hoon.

anyway, MOTLEY CRUE is coming out with a live CD at the end of this month too and i just saw paul stanley (KISS!!!!!) being the phantom of the opera in toronto. ROCK LIVES!

By Patrick on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 12:11 pm:

come to LA where the reunions are alive and well......Ratt, Bang Tango, Motley Crue etc....and as many tribute bands you can shake a stick at....my question to the reunions are...was it the coke or the alimony? I see dirtheads walking around and I have to ask, WHAT UP? with bandanas, rock buttons, tight leather pants, long hair and the bitchin camero.......jesus age christ.......just like nate said, northern california does have more taste, and what is even scarier are the girls that drip for these guys.....holy bejesus!! Fat thighs and stretch pants.....faded Krokus concert shirts, boufoo massive hair.....wtf?

By Sista on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 12:58 pm:

have you ever been to a KISS concert... the "rocker" type chicks there are just mindblowing.. but a lot of them are REALLY hot... and always topless. i dunno...if i was a guy, i'd have long hair and hang out at rock shows.

By Gee on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 01:22 pm:

I hate Guns n Roses, I really really hate them. Axel Rose can kiss my whatever.

I miss the Archie's. They had some happy songs.

By Wisper on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 03:23 pm:

you're weird.

;)

listened to the new song again, just now. It is good. All is well. Rock is alive (I don't even know what that's supposed to mean) and Axl is alive too. Say hi to him for me, Waffles.

By Semillama on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 07:03 pm:

Fuck all them, Iron Maiden ROOOLZ!!!!!

(Shakes the heavy-metal sign in the air)

Seriously, new album with three part guitar harmonies - a true fan's wet dream. I am going to drag skooter to a show if it kills him to worship at the feet of the true masters of the genre.

Plus maybe a 50-ft Eddie.

How about these forgotten rock stars (no "where are they now for them): Alex Chilton, The Pogues (besides macgowan), Stiff little fingers, the surviving members of INXS, etc

By MoonIt on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 08:38 pm:

i love axl rose. love him. yum.
    My cat is named Duff (even tho Duff is ugly). I saw a piccy once of Slash with the hair thing blowing and his face! He's so cute.

Uh yeah.

I'll just go stand quietly in the corner now.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 27, 1999 - 08:47 pm:

Moonit, did you get the Tom Waits yet?

By Patrick on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 12:05 pm:

minus two for that one moonit

By MoonIt on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 06:05 pm:

So whats my score now Patrick?

Rhi I did. My workmate has some of his old records. I've listened to about half of the first side. Its um different. *hehe*

By Patrick on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 06:15 pm:

uhhhhhhh 98 !!!!!!

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 06:17 pm:

Remember, you've got to give it a while. He's got to marinate in your brain before he becomes palatable.

There's this one song off his newest album that's called "Eyeball Kid"...not the best melody, but it has hilarious lyrics. It's about a kid who's, well, just an eyeball and he joins a circus freakshow, and there's a part that goes "I know you can't speak, I know you can't sign, so cry right here on the dotted line." It's great.

By MoonIt on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 06:44 pm:

I know I do. Your tape will be wildly different, with heaps of different style NZ music - which I am still working on...

By Sarah on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 08:10 pm:

i listened to Tom Waits while i was driving that big shot publisher around honolulu in my dad's girlfriend's cherry red camaro. i only thought it was appropriate.

before that, it was eric clapton, naturally.

when your day is done
    and you wanna ride on
    cocain...

By Sarah on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 08:11 pm:

oh yeah, i had a thought about popular music this morning on my drive to work, while i listened to the upteenth million modern rock song that sounds like every other modern rock song before it for the last 3 days. same singer, same melody, different band.

anyway, the thought was this:

we are not re-experiencing the music of the mid-80's, but in a late 90's genre.

if that makes any sense.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 08:46 pm:

I am gonna take SOOOOOO much heat for this, but...

The Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines Concept Album is fucking awesome!

I highly recommend it. From "Lost in You," to "Digging for Gold," I can't get enough of it!

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 28, 1999 - 08:55 pm:

We love you, Jim, so we're going to pretend you didn't say that...

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 12:54 am:

heh... and did I mention, "Drifting Away?"

By Gee on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 02:37 am:

Eric said: "Am I a horrible person for saying that the more I hear of the Backstreet Boys, the more I like them?"

(me too)

By Semillama on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 09:34 am:

No one bagged my shit for liking Iron Maiden so I suppose it's alright for you to like the Backstreet Boys.

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 10:05 am:

Okay, I should be writing a 10-page English paper that's due at 5 today, but I feel like cheating death just a little longer.....

Until this summer, I never really thought anyone liked the Backstreet Boys. I knew they were popular, I saw the hordes of screaming pre-pubescents gathered under the MTV windows, I passed by the mini-biographies of the BBoys in the grocery store. But somehow, it never sunk in to my thick skull that people actually listened to their music and liked it.

...Until this summer, when I visited my 14-year-old cheerleading cousin, who tried to get me to persuade her mother that she looked just like Britney Spears, so she should be able to a wear short pleated skirt to school, too, damn it! She doesn't look like Britney Spears. Her eyes aren't big enough.

But what was this? A Backstreet fan in the flesh. A girl who refused to believe that 'NSync was better than her Boys, even though 'NSync had better harmonies. "THEY'RE THE SAME!" she shouted, trying to contradict her attempting-to-be-hip father. "THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME!"
    This was a virtue in her eyes, it seemed.

Kids, they suck. And they're ugly. That guy that supposedly is the cute one...Nick or whatever....has a skinny neck and a feeble moustache and was probably a drama geek in high school. HE'S NOT CUTE. None of them are. Ricky Martin's made of plastic. So's Britney Spears ("boy, is she! *wink wink*" -- sorry, had to be done).

I'm not saying anything new here. Back to my paper...

By Patrick on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 11:01 am:

has anyone seen the Jack in the Box spin off commercial?? I suspect only my california counterparts have......god damn thats funny...

easy targets...so i'll back down, Rhi said it straight

By Agatha on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 12:00 pm:

i love that commercial. i love the corporate guy dancing.

i wish they would find a new set of teens for menudo. long live menudo!

By Patrick on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 12:18 pm:

isn't that a fucking riot...

"but are target is MEN!!!"

"whats a target?"

"MEAT CHEESE MEAT CHEESE MEAT CHEESE MEAT"

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 03:41 pm:

la titty ah.

fuck a moly.

With all due respects, Nate.

By Rhiannon on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 05:05 pm:

huh? what's the commercial for?

By Patrick on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 05:35 pm:

jack in the Box, a fast food chain. Jack is the CEO and he has a big white ball for a head with a birthday party type that and a clown face. The commercial starts with a mock video of "backstreet (backside) boys"-like guys dancing around just the like the mtv shit....hair blwoing, exagerrated "baaaby" type shit....and then it cuts back to the presidents office(Jack) and this reocurring character, one his corporate lackeys doiong this silly dance next to the tv, as if they are previewing the commercial and the lackey says..."the girls are really gonna love this" and jack sighs and says ..."our target is men" and then a close up on the face of the lackey while he is doing the "white boy" dance and he says "whats a target?"...and as it fades out you hear the "backstreet boys" singing "meat and cheese meat and cheese meat and chees..."

the ad if for some new burger or whatever and the backstreet-esq boys are singing about the burger...\

ahhh hell you just have to see it...

http://www.jackinthebox.com/main.html GO HERE to see what I am talking about

you can download the song ...it's worth it.....

By Gee on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 06:33 pm:

I like n'sync too. JC is pretty.

I should clarify. I don't like either of them enough to buy an album or go to a concert, and I don't really know any of the names of their songs. I just like singing along with them.

By Patrick on Friday, October 29, 1999 - 06:47 pm:

the demographic for those groups is the average 11 year old girl.......

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Saturday, October 30, 1999 - 08:23 am:

and sadly, gay men into chicken. I don't find any of them even remotely attractive. Blech.

By Marie anne Los Angeles on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 08:59 pm:

I love Gun's and Roses. This band helped me through a lot of stuff growing up. Whenever I need a pick me up, I play "sweet child o' Mine", or Welcome to the jungle and everything is right with the world. When I'm sad, I'll play "don't cry tonight". Axel Rose rules! I saw him in concert a few times during my youth. Trust me GNR will live forever. Although Axel is now a chunky guy he still rocks!!
    marie anne

By moonit on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:05 am:

I would belive you if you spelt his name right. ITS AXL. Dumbass.

Real fans know this, and it saddens me that I am still one.

By moonit on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:06 am:

Oh and Patrick - whats my score now? does it go up if I send you and the mrs Patrick kiwi candy?

By dave. on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:34 am:

spelled

sorry. . .

By Gee on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 10:43 am:

actually, Webster says that "spelt" is a past tense of "spell", so if we assume that moonit was refering to Mary Anne's past spelling of the word (as in "if you had spelled = if you spelt"), then it's all good.

By dave. on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:42 am:

yeah, it says both are valid.

sorry again!

By patrick on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:53 pm:

you can always buy your way to the top moonie.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:53 pm:

you can always buy your way to the top moonie.

By moonitnz on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:13 pm:

email me :)

By Webster Dick on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 04:32 pm:

fuck spellin shit right!
    elitist cock yankers!
    suck my scrotttummmm

By sarah on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:26 pm:

last night i went to see a triple bill -

Nelson
    Peter Frampton
    Styx

it fuckin kicked ass too, suckas! those old guys still got it.

i also got to go to Game 4. my cousin is going to Game 5 tonight. only one ticket available. hmrph.

oooooo baby i love your way

By Dodi on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:27 pm:

That's okay...I'll pass...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact