Oprah & Gary Zukav are getting on my last nerve!

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Oprah & Gary Zukav are getting on my last nerve!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By R.C. on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 05:09 pm:

Is she sleeping w/this guy or what?

It seems like Oprah has Gary Zukav on her show at least once a month. She plugs his book "The Seat of the Soul" incessantly. Like he's paying her under the table or something. And the message he promotes is banal to the point of stupidity.

Am I the only one who's sick & tired of people who have everything they cd want in life telling the rest of us that we are not being "our authentic selves" or "living on purpose" if we worry abt $$/or get depressed becuz we are sick of being alone in life/or strive to achieve success in our chosen profession? Why is it 'manipulative' or 'inauthentic' to want to
    have enough $$ so that you don't have to think abt $$ anymore? Why is it wrong to long to love someone & be loved in return? Why is it bad to say "Those diamond earrings are killer & I'm gonna buy them for myself!" when Oprah has at least 3 different prs. of the biggest rocks I've ever seen -- yet she/of course/claims her 'things' don't define her. If she didn't really care abt diamonds/she wdn't have bought those rocks. But no one *needs* diamonds to live. And damn right/they most certainly *do* 'define' her/as as very wealthy woman! She cd've created the same impression w/a pr. of zircons. But she chose to fork over big $$ for the genuine article.

But no one is really defined by what they own or wear or drive. We all get that. And yes/some people value that stuff becuz they are caught up in prestige & wanting to be admired by others. But to a certain degree doesn't everyone want to be admired? At the very least by those they know & care abt?

Some people love beautiful/sleek/fast cars. So they buy a Ferrari becuz it's one of the hottest cars on the planet. As long as they can afford it/why does that make them 'inauthentic'?

And what is all this crap abt 'external power' vs. 'internal power' that Zukav keeps harping abt? Power isn't power if it doesn't manifest itself in the material here-&-now. If you can be like Nate & walk into an interview & yr skills & history mean you can ask for a starting salary 40+% more than what you're making at yr current gig/& they hire you/that's power. If you *think* you're worth 40+% more than you're making now/but no one's will you hire you at that rate/then all the 'internal power' you *think* you have is a bunch of bull.

Power that you can't use in the real world isn't real power. And we all have the power to set our own priorities & decide what matters most to us in life.

So why do people spend $20 to buy a book telling them that?

By The Dinner Lady on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 06:03 pm:

Eric Bogosian in his 'Wake Up and Smell The Coffee' has a character which is an obvious play on these sorts talking about the having everything and then chiding those who haven't used their personal power to get what they want.

The best advice I ever heard on this topic was from 'Wishcraft' author Barbara Sher who says 'You look at these people who have big $$ or deeply fulfilling jobs and they say "if only you were confident like me you'd be where I am." But people who haven't got there have got great reasons to be lacking in confidence - you're not there! These people are confident because they are there!' Like the confidence you exude compared to a grade school kid in things like 'I can tie my shoes, I can ride a bike'..

Self confidence, focusing, and goal setting are good ways to 'harness your personal power' - if not only because the things that you give all your energy to are often the arenas you do better in. Doy!

As for Oprah talking about how she doesn't let her earrings define her HA HA HA AHA HA HA HA. Any woman who doesn't feel like an idiot making such a spectacle out of her weight is far too obsessed with the 'material world'. Maybe these shows make her feel better as she pats her self on the back with a 'see, it's not happening!'

By _____ on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 07:00 pm:

i don't know about this "seat of the pants" thing, but "the dancing wu-li masters" hit on most cylinders for me back when i read it. it's kind of a "tao of physics" for dummies.

if it bugs ya that much, stop watching it.

By R.C. on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 04:43 pm:

I wasn't watching it. But I did watch t.v. yesterday afternoon & there were a zillion promos for the show. You'd think Zukav was running for president!

At this point/I think the best way to get what one wants in life is prolly to write a dumb New Age double-speak book & get Oprah to plug it so it makes it to the NY Times Bestseller list. EVERY BOOK she has featured on her Book CLub has made it to the Bestseller list. Now *that's* power.

And DL/I think being fat is a large part of her popularity & she knows it. She's lost & gained so much wt. so many times/& ultimately failed to keep it off. And millions of fat people identify w/her so strongly becuz of that vs. being jealous if she'd lost the wt. & actually kept it off.

By The Dinner Lady on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 06:10 pm:

Well I'm fat and I think she's an embarrasment. She should reconcile herself to being an attractive woman, not just skinny at the whims of fashion or what America wants her to be. She's gotten too damn skinny too many times and she looks horrible - not healthy - too thin. She looks fine fat! Then again my having some self esteem despite whatever weight I am probably is a pretty unpopular thing. Magazines like Mode are outsold a million times over by mags telling women they are dirt if they can't diet to a certain level. I guess it just depresses me to see a woman who (to my mind) broadcasts her weight insecurity to the world and then gets patted on the back for it. I want her to be over it, and to show she's strong not by 'having the willpower to get thin' but by having the willpower to know she is beautiful no matter what her weight. I'm probably asking WAY too much. She is the TV lady after all.

By R.C. on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 07:02 pm:

My point is/if I had her $$ & her man/I wdn't do another crunch or lift another weight for the rest of my days! If I'd achieved all that while being fat/who cd possibly tell me a thing?

But when she wanted to promote 'Beloved' last year by getting on the cover of Vogue & scoring a spread for her & the 2 other actresses/she called up that toothpick bitch Anna Wintour. And Wintour told her she cdn't do the cover unless she lost 20 lbs. When Hilary Clinton wanted to cover of Vogue/no one told her she had to lose 20 lbs. first.

And instead of telling Anna Wintour to kiss her big brown ass/Oprah did it. Like a slave taking orders. She went out to her crib in Colorado or wherever & proceeded to go hiking every day/went on a diet (not too hard/when yr personal chef travels w/you)& lost 25 lbs. And she did look fabulous on the cover of Vogue. I stopped reading Vogue ages ago/ but I went out a bought a copy just to have those gorgeous pics of Oprah. Even tho' I was pissed off later when I found out the backstory.

And then she gained it all back & then some. THAT'S the part I don't get.

Then again/if I were Oprah's size/I'd prolly be worried abt my health. So maybe I wd keep working out.

By simon on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 07:35 pm:

It's what I like to refer to as royal arrogance. Too many celebs get surrounded by yes-people who filter them from reality and wait on them hand and foot, hoping to profit from the association. They feel it's their duty to enlighten us and protect us from our lowliness.

Look at Barbara Streisand. She has a guy arrested and jailed (he's later released without charges) because she felt "threatened" that he wanted to take her picture. In public.

And Rosie O'Donnell, who dares presume to tell me how to raise my children. I suppose if I could afford a bevy of male au pairs that would make me an authority too.

And countless professional athletes who are showered with money and praise before they have time to grow up.

Oh, shit, there goes my new year's resolution, I'm ranting again.

By cyst on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 08:42 pm:

oprah looked fucking amazing in vogue.

By Gee on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 12:29 am:

when did Rosie tell you how to raise your children? You realize she's not talking directly to You when she's on TV, don't you? I'm being snippy. I know you realize it. Seriously, isn't she just giving her opinion to whoever will listen? Everyone does that.

Is Oprah big right now? I haven't watched lately.

By Opra hater. on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

opra sho got a big ass.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact