Happy Birthday Hank

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Happy Birthday Hank
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Sunday, February 13, 2000 - 02:40 pm:

Rollins, that is. 39 years old and still rockin'.
    A year ago today i was playing on stage.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, February 13, 2000 - 03:40 pm:

I remember reading a little piece he wrote in which he mentioned that he couldn't believe Ian MacKaye was turning 25. "Ian! 25!"

Henry! 39!

You think he'll be 49 and still around? Didn't he say he'd quit when he became a parody of himself?

Though thank God he is around. We need people like him.

By semillama on Sunday, February 13, 2000 - 03:54 pm:

As a cultural critic, if nothing else.

By uneducated moonit on Sunday, February 13, 2000 - 11:14 pm:

uh who?

By heather on Sunday, February 13, 2000 - 11:45 pm:

By J on Monday, February 14, 2000 - 09:29 am:

I,d still do him in a New York minute.

By Rhiannon on Monday, February 14, 2000 - 11:27 am:

In honor of Valentine's Day:

I look at pictures of you because I am afraid that you would notice me staring in real life. I looked at your picture today for countless minutes. It is closer than I'll ever get to you for real. I felt like I was looking at a captured animal at a safe distance. If you knew I was doing this, you would feel sickened and frightened. That's why you'll never know. Years will go by and you'll never know. I will never say the things that I want to say to you. I know the damage it would do. I love you more than I hate my loneliness and pain.

Somewhere someone is thinking of you. Someone is calling you an angel. This person is using celestial colors to paint your image. Someone is making you into a vision so beautiful it can only live in the mind. Someone is thinking of the way your breath escapes your lips when you are touched. How your eyes close and your jaw tightens with concentration as you give pleasure a home. These thoughts are saving a life somewhere right now. In some airless apartment on a dark, urine-stained, whore-lined street, someone is calling out to you silently and you are answering without even being there. So crystalline. So pure. Such life saving power when you smile. You will never know how you have cauterized my wounds. So sad that we will never touch. How it hurts me to know that I will never be able to give you everything I have.

--from "Solipsist"

By crimson on Monday, February 14, 2000 - 12:07 pm:

a lot of people hate rollins & i've been teased about reading his stuff, but there are moments when i think he's one hell of a writer. he can be simultaneously vicious & beautiful. the man can crank out some wonderfully intense imagery.

a friend of mine has spoken w/ him a few times. says he's basically nice, but paranoid. certain topics will set him off or make him nervous. in my friend's case, it was an admission that he's published one of the same writers that rollins handles. it led to some sudden freaked-out questions & concerns about stolen material, even though my friend's dealings w/ this particular writer happened many years ago. still, even if rollins is a bit of a flake, he's an undeniably talented writer.

By Patrick on Monday, February 14, 2000 - 01:25 pm:

whats up with that neck of his. can he touch his own head ya think?

By moonit on Monday, February 14, 2000 - 01:53 pm:

"His professional activities span the range of modern diversion and entertainment. As the lead singer of Rollins Band for over 10 years, an author of over ten books, a spoken word performer, a voice over talent of growing popularity, and an actor who has appeared in several films (including a growing number of major motion pictures and television jobs,) it is growing more difficult to say you've not heard his name"

Except if you live in another country right.

By Rhiannon on Monday, February 14, 2000 - 04:17 pm:

Maybe it's just you, Moonit.

By semillama on Monday, February 14, 2000 - 06:25 pm:

Aren't you the same person who had also never heard of Tom Waits?

By moonit on Monday, February 14, 2000 - 09:40 pm:

Yes I am.

My workmate who has several Tom Waits records has never heard of him either. So there!

I'm telling you its a country thing.

I bet you've never heard of Howard Morrison. Or Billy T James. Or Temura Morrison. Alan Duff. Kiri Te Kawana. Tessa Duder. Julian Aoraha.

By Gee on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 12:54 am:

I didn't know who this Rollins character was, either, Moonit. My theory: americans are freaky.

By Margret on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 09:20 am:

I've heard of Kiri Te Kawana.
    Umm.
    After that, I'm lost.
    Henry Rollins is worth looking up, Moonit, Gee.

By cyst on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 10:17 am:

she's a soprano, sings "o mio bambino caro."

By Markus on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 10:22 am:

That always makes me think of Florence, since I saw "Room With a View".

By Patrick on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 10:41 am:

moonit, is Morrison a prevalent name in your country?

By _____ on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 02:21 pm:

moonit and gee, don't go too far out of your way to learn about rollins. he's just a guy with a big mouth. there are many thousands of people more important than rollins that you will never know of and it really doesn't matter.

By Patrick on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 02:26 pm:

chicks dig him for his body. muscle bound goob, i like his black flag days though

By moonit on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 02:27 pm:

Nope. Howard is Tem's uncle. Tem was Jake Heke in Once Were Warriors. His uncle is a singer/entertainer. They are very active in the maori community.

I thought you might of heard of Kiri - and I guess I forgot our famous model - Rachel Hunter *rolling eyes*

Gee - If Shihad go back to Canada for a tour, go see them. They are a good NZ band.

anyway after all that The Grump kinda knew who Rollins was - but only for his music, not for anything else.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 03:21 pm:

If you saw The Chase or Johnny Mnemonic, you've seen Rollins.

By Margret on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 03:43 pm:

Mmm.
    Rollins.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 03:56 pm:

"Ladies...Nobody understands you like I do."

By Margret on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 03:59 pm:

Rollins really brings out the dominatrix. I want to crush his will and make him my willing slave. Whereas I want J. Mascis to feel me up fumblingly in his parents' back seat.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 04:23 pm:

I watch your mouth move. I listen to your voice. I do everything you tell me to. Minutes later, I find myself sitting on a metal chair with my hands cuffed behind my back. I tell you this is the second time that I have been handcuffed in my life. You say nothing but your expression makes me understand that you don't care. I don't mind being in this position because I trust you, and even as uncomfortable as this is, I don't mind because it's time spent with you and any time spent with you is special to me.

You ask me why I love you and I tell you that no one talks to me like you do. Some of the best times I have ever known are when you call me and we talk late at night. You smile and ask me if I want to kiss you. I tell you that I want to kiss you every day for the rest of my life. You lean in close to me and lock your eyes onto mine. You open your mouth slightly and move in closer.

In the instance before your lips touch mine, I see the glint of the cobra's head inside your mouth. You pull me to you, clamp your mouth onto mine and the cobra goes down my throat, followed closely by a few more and then several scorpions.

You pull back. I can feel the creatures in my gut, biting and stinging. I ask you why you have done this to me.

You say, "You're just mad because I don't want to fuck you."

I tell you that I don't care about that and why did you hurt me when I have never done anything to you. You pull out a knife and start stabbing yourself. I tell you to stop. You tell me to beg you. I beg you. Tears stream down my face. The pain of the snakes and scorpions are forgotten, all I can think about is your safety.

You say, "I'm showing you how weak and stupid you are."

I black out. When I awaken, I am on the floor of a hotel in the middle of nowhere. The rug is warm and I'm glad to be alone. I look up to see the door and to my great joy it is triple locked. It's the first thing I do when I come in, never knowing how the curse will manifest itself. Whatever happens, no one can be here unless it's a dream of you or a cobra you might send to keep me company. Alone is perfect because it's all I can handle. I was never able to deal with company who stays too long, unless it's you with your flesh-melting words. Almost everything and everyone outlasts their welcome. Human nature is anti-human. I dream of anonymous room numbered nights on flat ground near major highways. I always stay below the windows and I never answer the phone. I know it will never be you.

--from "Solipsist"

By semillama on Tuesday, February 15, 2000 - 04:31 pm:

That book is one of his strongest works, I think. That and Black Coffee Blues, and Art to Choke Hearts/Pissing in the Gene Pool.

By Gee on Wednesday, February 16, 2000 - 01:34 am:

Moonit - Captain Tractor is coming to NZ this/next month. =o) You should go see Them!

By Anonymous on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 01:16 pm:

If you have seen Johnny Mnemonic, do not admit it to anyone.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 01:34 pm:

The soundtrack has my favorite Cop Shoot Cop song on it: "3 am Incident"

By moonit on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 11:11 pm:

Captain Tractor. Where are they playing?

Live is here next week, with Sugar Ray and Tadpole. I wanted to go see them but none of my friends love live as much as me.

By Gee on Friday, February 18, 2000 - 12:16 am:

February 17 Molly Malone's; Wellington
    February 18 Molly Malone's; Wellington
    February 24 The Mill; New Plymouth
    Febryary 25 Castlecliff Club; Wanganui
    February 26 Finn Mcools; Taupo
    February 27 Java Jive; Auckland
    March 1 Irish Rover; Gisbourne
    March 2 Massey University; Palmerston North
    March 3 O'Malleys; Levin
    March 4 Vic University; Wellington
    March 5 Kaponga Backgammon Club; Kaponga

moonit - I sent you some mail today. Finally! I finally sent you the tapes I made for you! I really wanted to re-do one of them because I got a few new Captain Tractor CD's and I wanted to put some of those songs on the tape, but I decided I'd waited long enough and I'll just send them. I sent a tape to Markus too. I forgot to send my naked pictures to Nate, though. next week, next week.

By moonit on Monday, February 21, 2000 - 10:22 pm:

They're not coming to the South Island.

All those places are in the top half of NZ.

Yay Mail! I will watch and wait and get my butt into gear and send yours.

Rhi did yours come yet?

By Rhiannon on Monday, February 21, 2000 - 10:53 pm:

No, not yet! I'll keep a close eye on my mailbox.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact