Hey Agatha

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Hey Agatha
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
semillama on Thursday, March 23, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

Where are cool places to visit in Olympia?

my best friend is going there Weds and she wants to know about places
    to buy zines and records, punk places, resource centers, the olympia zine library, vegan friendly restaurants, thrift stores and so on.

you can respond to me, I don't know that she wants her email address out (although she has posted here once...)

By Mavis on Thursday, March 23, 2000 - 07:28 pm:

agatha-
    i am the best freind of whom semillama speaks....
    please fill me in on cool stuff to do/see in oly

By Mavis on Thursday, March 23, 2000 - 07:28 pm:

agatha-
    i am the best friend of whom semillama speaks....
    please fill me in on cool stuff to do/see in oly

By cyst on Thursday, March 23, 2000 - 09:03 pm:

hey, mavis, are you one of semillama's portland friends?

By semillama on Friday, March 24, 2000 - 08:22 am:

I think I can affirm that.

By May-vis on Friday, March 24, 2000 - 11:55 am:

yes. i. am...!
    actually, a detroit sister living in portland is more accurate.

By agatha on Friday, March 24, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

Well, there's about five places. Are you staying overnight? If so, there are some good places to go at night.

There are two good record stores:
    1. Phantom City is on Washington right off of fourth, which is sort of the main strip around there. It's in the same storefront as a place called Dumpster Values, which has good used clothing for cheap.

2. Rainy Day records is on the West Side, more towards Evergreen. They have more variety, but the people who work there are not as friendly. Value Village is right next door, and there's a good pizza place around the corner from there called Vic's.

I will email llama and tell him more.

By agatha on Friday, March 24, 2000 - 12:52 pm:

there are literally no vegan restaurants, there are a couple that have some vegan options and that's about it. On sunday nights, there is this thing called the Red Horse Cafe, these two girls have this once a week restaurant out of their apartment and usually have vegan options. But that's on sundays, not wednesdays. Summer in Olympia is the most happening time to visit.

By Jina on Friday, March 24, 2000 - 01:01 pm:

Harvey Danger is playing at the Metropolis in downtown Olympia on Saturday. I'm there.

By patrick on Friday, March 24, 2000 - 01:48 pm:

speaking of bands......ther is a band from atlanta in LA this week called The Forty Fives.....if they come your way......

Satyricon - Portland OR, Thu 30 Mar
    The Brickyard - Vancouver BC Sun 02 Apr

The Forty Fives

SEE THEM!!!!

it's a bitch of a weekend......lots of bands playing sat. The Legendary Wrong People, my ex bassist band...(by the way Seattle-ites, every heard of them, they now reside there, formerly a band called Kommunity FK, the front guy Patrick Matta is kinda well known around here and there i hear) and Nashville Pussy is also here Sat. but I think i am opting for hometown faves the 45s.........

By Mavis on Friday, March 24, 2000 - 01:57 pm:

By cyst on Saturday, March 25, 2000 - 02:37 am:

hey, jina, I'm meeting agatha at that show. come say hi. I'll be the super tall chick in the slutty little red shirt. don't mention sorabji to any of my friends. I don't want to get busted.

By agatha on Saturday, March 25, 2000 - 02:57 am:

oh, shit. i'm scared.

By Gee on Saturday, March 25, 2000 - 03:19 am:

I'd been wondering about Harvey Danger. are they a small enough band that you can go talk to them after the show? If so, ask them what the heck is up with a second album, cuz their website info sucks a whole bunch.

By cyst on Saturday, March 25, 2000 - 04:51 am:

the second album is done. I think it's great. they're looking for a label.

this is from the kathleen wilson column in the stranger a couple weeks ago:

Wasn't it just a few years ago that Harvey Danger had all the labels in hot pursuit? And now, one gigantic radio hit and a newly recorded sophomore disc later, the band is having all sorts of headaches.

A while back, Harvey Danger's label, London, was released from its contract with Polygram when that label merged with Universal. (Okay, now I'm getting a headache.) London spent most of 1999 trying to hook up with Sire, and all the while the band worked on their much-anticipated follow-up to Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? -- finally calling it complete at 12 songs and 48 minutes.

In January, London hitched up with Sire and told Harvey Danger that the record would come out in March, and that they should get ready to start touring as early as February. One week later, the band got the word that because all London assets were obtained using Polygram money, all London assets belonged to new industry behemoth Universal Music Group.

Which basically means that Harvey Danger now has to sit on their thumbs while bloated labels like Island, MCA, and Interscope, among others, get around to listening to the album and then decide whether they can make any money off of it or whether they should let the band go. Says Sean Nelson, "Island Records, the first in line, has passed. Though it's never fun to be rejected, I must say that the guy who passed on it was the same guy who signed Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys; he was given a record label to run for his accomplishments. That oughta last...."

If all the labels who have dibs on Harvey Danger's contract pass on the album, the band will then be set free, and Nelson says they'll probably go back to the London label, which is still dying to put out the record. "It's funny to me that we did so much to try to not make the mistakes other bands made when diving into the major-label miasma," says Nelson. "We turned down a lot of money; we kept the scope small; we fought for control, etc. We thought that if we went into it with good intentions, we would be served well. How funny is it that directly because of those good intentions, we're now triply fucked?"

By cyst on Saturday, March 25, 2000 - 04:52 am:

sorabji fest 2000.

olympia, washington. tonight.

By semillama on Saturday, March 25, 2000 - 11:39 am:

The guy who signed those crappy bands runs ISLAND?!

Fuck. So much for that label.

By Antigone on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 12:47 am:

Ignore this. This is a test...

By Gee on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 01:28 am:

you have their second album, Cyst? What's it called?

By cyst on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 07:15 am:

it may be called "limbo rock." sean taped it for me. I listen to it all the time.

I met jina tonight! I looked back and saw this beautiful girl with these huge, dark eyes. I introduced myself. she's very nice. she and agatha (who was too tired to go) should meet up.

By agatha on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 12:47 pm:

i'm lame. sorry.

By cyst on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 01:42 pm:

hey, it's ok. I was kind of preoccupied anyway. I had a really, really, really great time.

By Jina on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 05:58 pm:

I'd like to meet Agatha too.

I had a great time. It was weird that I decided to wear the freaky eyeliner for the concert. The first time I thought it was you was when I saw the lead singer standing and talking to someone and realizing it was a girl and seeing the other girls around this girl about a head shorter. And I was like No Way.

By cyst on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 06:21 pm:

"realizing it was a girl." oh man. the story of my life.

yeah way. I think sean and I are the same height when I'm not wearing heeled boots, which is never.

your eyeliner was fantastic. you should wear it always.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 06:38 pm:

Cyst, for some reason, the thought of your 6'3" self in high-heeled boots is making me swell with pride. You rock.

By cyst on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 09:46 pm:

thank you.

I used to wear flat shoes all the time, but then I figured, what the fuck difference does it make? I had some sort of transformation a couple years back. some of my seattle friends missed that process, and now when I see them they're taken aback.

from today's e-mail:

"jeff asked when you... when you changed... he couldn't finish the sentence. he wanted to know why you started dressing differently. i said 'because she realized she's really fucking hot?'"

a lady standing behind me at wal-mart today called me sir.

By Jina on Monday, March 27, 2000 - 08:19 pm:

Tall shoes give me a great sense of power. My friend had a couple pairs. And one day we wore them out together. We got the biggest glare from this woman. I couldn't understand it. If I saw a girl who looked great in tall shoes I'd be cheering her on. Not out loud, but I'd at least give her a friendly smile.

Do you ever get glares?

By cyst on Tuesday, March 28, 2000 - 12:21 am:

only when I sit in front of someone in a theater.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact