confused happiness

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: confused happiness
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Isolde on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 08:47 am:

Still in Ireland. Just recieved word that my grandmother has died, and I feel like a shithead because I knew she was dying, and still I went over here and gallivanted about while she was struggling with life. My father's over there. Anyway. I think I'm going to stay here, rather than come back a funeral--seems silly to neglect her in the last days of her life and then come back to watch them turn her into compost. Shit. I'm all mixed up.
    On the other hand, I'm loving it in Ireland, although I miss the daily commentary Sorabji provides. Alas. I'll be home soon, I suppose.
    Staying in a gorgeous cottage across a lake and...woah. I'm thinking about absconding to the shores of Glanmore lake forever.
    Be well, all.

By J on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 11:44 am:

I,m so sorry about your Grandmother,but your right there is nothing you can do now so she knew you loved her,she,s at peace.How is Ireland? I have always wanted to go there.

By Jina on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

I'd stay too. Even though puting myself in your shoes, I get the guilt feeling too. You're a real caring person.

By Bell_jar on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 03:41 pm:

I understand... sort of. I want to move away soon, and my mother is dying. Part of me is so very tired of taking care of her. She has been the child and I have been the adult all of my life. She's done some really rotten things, but I love her. I struggle with the idea of going away and starting my own life or staying with her and feeling that old gross feeling of being tied down by her.

By Jina on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 07:23 pm:

Tell me what you decide to do when you do, kay?

By N.b. on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 10:44 pm:

It's funny how the alchemy of time turns feelings around in the after-the-event phase of dying...

Not that one should live for the after-event, just pointing it out. Because in deciding for the future, often, we're trying to set it up so we'll feel a certain way...

All that freedom that you long for, when you have it, it doesn't taste like you thought it would. Different. That's all.

When the pressure is gone, everything shifts.

By Jina on Saturday, April 1, 2000 - 03:21 am:

I couldn't be any more happier living in the freedom of having my own cozy little apartment. Having my own little friends, driving to their own little houses, having my own little bottle of wine with each meal, having my own little dining table with this nice little British teapot. I'm loving every waking moment. I'm thinking to myself daily "It's good to feel alive." It's good to have this freedom.

By Bell_jar on Saturday, April 1, 2000 - 02:07 pm:

mmmm... freedom. i remember when i went away to college and the total control that i had over my life. i controlled when and where i went to bed and woke up. i wasn't surrounded by the responsibilities that came with living with my mother. i had to only take care of myself. how beautifully liberated i felt. i would go for walks and drives at absurd hours in the morning. i thought that i was in control of my life... now i realize that my parents and grandparents still have this hold over me. it's not financial... that would be so much easier. they trained me as a child to feel responsible for them. to care more about their needs than my own.

as a child i would be the one responsible for staying home to take care of my sisters when they were too sick to go to day care. i remember missing field trips and play days. i would be angry and upset, but i would understand that my mother needed things...

i recall having my sister sleeping in the same room as me when she was less than a year old. it was my responsibility to get up with her in the middle of the night. at 11 years old. i was a mother to my sister and my mother who would be sleeping soundly in her bedroom.

if i got to feeling as if i were somehow being wronged and i complained, my mother would tell me how selfish i was and how she was supporting me, and how she hated her marriage. how good i had it... look at her life... she wasn't happy... she didn't need me to be so selfish.

a few months ago i swallowed a lot of pills... my roommate made me call my mother after i got out of the hospital the next day. she came to get me... she told me how selfish i was. she told me how she was dying and how i need to be here for her and for my sisters. for gods sake nothing in my life could be as bad as hers.

i doubt i'll ever be truly free... my guilt holds me back.

By Spider on Saturday, April 1, 2000 - 02:43 pm:

Jesus, what a leech. What a terribly fucked-up thing she's doing to you. You're not responsible for her. You don't have to take care of her. *She's* *your* mother. The way things work, *she's* supposed to be the one supporting *you.* How is it your fault if she's too weak to do her job?

Guilt? Guilt over what? What have you done wrong except expect her to act like a normal human being and let you live your own life?

And selfish? Do you see how manipulative she is, and how hypocritical?

And you! Instead of taking your life, period, take your life back from her. You're an adult (right?)...you don't owe her anything. The fact that she's a psychic vampire releases you from any obligation you have. The more you stick around, the more you're letting her get away with all the garbage she's gotten away with for years.

God, I'm mad. I have to go calm down.

By heather on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 01:21 am:

some people are just so bad i can't get over it

sucking, leaching, weak, dependent, pathetic things that destroy the people around them.

if you have been raised like this- get help.

once you get away from your current dependent- you will find another- for sure.

or they will find you. and it will seem normal. and you will feel needed.

By patrick on Monday, April 3, 2000 - 12:12 pm:

Jina, you live in a dollhouse?

By Isolde on Wednesday, April 5, 2000 - 08:22 am:

It's not so much that I'd cut my trip short, it just is making me think about some things I was planning to put off.
    Although, I am r eturning earlier for other reasons--my father is really cut up about this, and I kind of feel like I should at least be with him.
    I'm having a huge pain changing the ticket since I don't have a phone. I just hitched 75 klics to see if the person in the States I asked to change my ticket for me had done it, and she told me that the travel people want me to call them with the ticket info. Only guess who left her tickets at home? So I'm going to have to call the person in the States and argh....
    bleh. anyway.
    i love it here. literally, the most beautiful place on earth. i'm thinking i need to buy land or something, we're on the shores of this incredible lake and...woah. woah.
    sheep.

By Jina on Wednesday, April 5, 2000 - 09:52 pm:

I do when I exploit myself like that. I could have just said I love my freedom. It's like nothing else..

Thanks Patrick.

By patrick on Thursday, April 6, 2000 - 11:37 am:

i think you misunderstood, i was trying to be funny

"little apartment"
    "little friends"
    "little bottle of wine"
    "little dining table"
    "little teapot"

By Jina on Thursday, April 6, 2000 - 09:16 pm:

Oh. Right. Sorry. Hee. Cheers.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact