Legal Advice

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Legal Advice
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Pigsticker on Thursday, April 6, 2000 - 12:20 pm:

So here's the deal. I got busted the other night driving in my car: Open container, paraphenalia, and possession of a controlled substance (some bud, not much). I know I shouldn't be in my car and all that, but that's not the issue right now. I'm not too worried about court on the 11th as this is my first offense of any kind. My question to anyone is this: Is there any way to keep my name from being published in the local paper once I'm convicted? It would do a lot of personal damage. I realize that it's all public record, and I agree to one extent. It is on public record up at the courthouse. If one wants to see my file, one can go to the courthouse. I don't feel it needs to be publicized if I wish it not to be. Is there anything I can do, or am I just screwed? Anyone?

By J on Thursday, April 6, 2000 - 01:20 pm:

Wow!!!! They publish this shit in your local paper? Where the fuck do you live? Thank God I was a minor when I tried to kill myself in bumfuck W.V.,but the paper did have mention of it and just by saying a 15 year old girl from Milton,and everyone knew it was me.Have you got a lawyer? Did you call the A.C.L.U.?

By Pigsticker on Thursday, April 6, 2000 - 01:35 pm:

I live in RURAL North Dakota. Real backwater. No lawyer. It's my first offense and I'm just pleading guilty. I'm expecting a fine, community service, and maybe jail time suspended. I just don't need my name published. Think maybe I can just go to the paper's office and tell them so?

By crimson on Thursday, April 6, 2000 - 02:13 pm:

you can try talking to the paper's editor about it, but be really nice when you do. my husband is a former newspaper editor. people who were in legal trouble used to march into his office, arrogantly DEMANDING that he not print their names. guess whose names ended up at the top of the list?

they print offenders' names here, too. i'm not sure that they do it for every type of offense, though. just certain ones. drugs, child molestation & prostitution are almost a sure bet. the fastest way to get your name in the local paper here is to engage in prostitution. they'll never publish the johns' names, but the hookers get their full name & pictures published.

in some areas, i think it's actually part of the city ordinance--offenders' names WILL appear in the paper, no matter what. cities pass resolutions like that in the hope that it'll deter crime.

i know of people who've lost their jobs & had their marriages dissolve because of similar types of publicity. a deacon i know got excommunicated from his church over having his name in the paper; his teenage son had a nervous breakdown after being endlessly teased about it both at school & at church. one guy's wife divorced him after his name appeared in the paper. he responded by committing suicide.

i hope you find a way out of getting your name published. however, it may be unavoidable.

By Jesus on Thursday, April 6, 2000 - 02:30 pm:

move. now. it is my command.

By Pigsticker on Thursday, April 6, 2000 - 02:33 pm:

Appreciate the advice/concern. I'll let anyone who cares know what happened.

By JusMiceElf on Friday, April 7, 2000 - 01:17 am:

Have you thought of/are you allowed to plead no contest?

And I think it's a legal requirement in most places that anything that goes before the court be published, but around here, a lot of it appears as legal notices, buried in the back of the paper.

By Isolde on Friday, April 7, 2000 - 08:11 am:

Yeah. Back home they publish _everything_ in the paper, but it's required. I pity you.

By Holden on Friday, April 7, 2000 - 02:54 pm:

Please, get counsel!! If you qualify, the Public Defender in your state can see to it that you are set up with competent counsel. Public defenders don't have the investigative resources they need. Public defenders are overburdened with large caseloads, but this ends up having a silver lining. Here it is:public defenders end up getting a ton of up to the minute experience in criminal matters. It isn't just that they're more experienced in criminal practice and procedure. They are. More to the point, they have more time with the local prosecutors and judges than anyone in the private bar. So, when they evaluate your case and tell you the best deal they can get for you, you can take that to the bank.

They won't hold your hand or be your buddy. They just don't have time. They will get you the best deal you can get. As far as this bias of mine in favor of pds, I'm only an admirer. I don't stray any farther into criminal practice than federal taxation.

If you don't qualify for a public defender, I'd look for a member of a private bar who is either a former prosecutor or a former public defender.

Good luck, and, as they'll tell you, keep you nose clean!!

By simon on Saturday, April 8, 2000 - 01:12 pm:

Your conviction would be a matter of public record, available to anyone who wished to look for it. Many small town newspapers publish that information. If you get a conviction, don't try to chickenshit your way out of it. Be a man, eat some humble pie, own it and move on. Anybody asks you about it, tell them you made a mistake and that you're getting on with your life now. Everybody's entitled to make mistakes. The key is to make sure you learn from them.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact