Semillama Must Be Bored

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Semillama Must Be Bored
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 10:29 am:

Have you noticed that he is cluster bombing the boards? Wisconsin! Oh yeah. How can we entertain Semillama? The dictatorial Gee is certainly helping with her demands that he do her research for her final papers for her. Ummm.
    So, this morning on NPR I heard a bunch of stuff, one little snippet of which was that men and women of equal education have unequal knowledge of 'hard news,' whereas the women might pull ahead in such 'soft news' topics as culture and education policy (ack!). It was suggested that this might have to do with reading the newspaper v. taking in television news programs, and that even with respect to the television news programs women tended toward the 'softer' delivery system. What's that all about? OK, I'll admit it up front: I actually don't care and found it statistically insignificant and personally irrelevant. But I thought it might entertain Semillama. So, pop quiz: who here reads the newspapers?
    (1) Read the newspaper at all?
    (2) Which newspaper (Washington Post, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Sacramento Bee -- thanks Sheila --, etc.)?
    (3) Read daily? weekly?
    (4) Read certain features and avoid others?
    (5) Make up your own question to pose to the rest of us HERE

By patrick on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 11:45 am:

i heard that fun factoid too margret....on NPR

it's true in my household...the nico can't stand the news....depresses her. I have always beena current events junky

1)Yes
    2)LA Times, CNN.com, BBC on PBS, NPR radio
    2-a)Also weekly editions like the LA Weekly and Newtimes, Hollywood Independent
    3)Daily
    4)Read national, world and local news, check hockey scores,avoid business section, avoid those other fluffy sections like Home, Living...will check for special sections on the arts.
    5)What is the most disturbing world event you have read about in the last week?

ME? Three-way tie..The potential famine in Ethiopia (all the while we dick around with 1 healthy Cuban boy) and the potential for the conflict in Chechnya to spread to Georgia and The death of several more farmers in Zimbabwe.....

By Margret on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 12:09 pm:

(1) Yes
    (2) Watch evening news for Albuquerque, read Albuquerque Journal, read Washington Post, sometimes read New York Times, read yahoo to get headlines to look into in real papers, listen to NPR, sometimes watch 60 Minutes or Dateline
    (3) Randomly...way more than once a week, way less than daily
    (4) Follow tech news, read headline national and international stories, frequently read the health sections, read movie/book/music reviews, tend NOT to read sports (I like watching them, I don't care about their performance after my gaze has shifted), and once a week tend to check out the recipes/canning ideas
    (5) For me most disturbing world event I have read about this week is the potential government mandated dissolution of the Microsoft monopoly...I have to admit that while I do have concern for people in distant places (and that Zimbabwe thing really disturbs me), I fetishize the body of US constitutional decisions and anything administrative from either the executive or legislative branch which shifts the balance of power even further askew...second runner up, for the same reason, would be the inadequate job the California Attorney General's office is doing arguing the merits for a totally open primary (which abridges the freedom of assembly of the two major political parties in this nation). Don't get me wrong, I'm not FOR the open primary, I'm for people who identify certain core political values they feel are consistently betrayed by their Party to help in the overturning of the two Party hegemony. But I am embarassed that a State's AG looks like such a total dork in front of the Supreme Court.

By J on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 12:12 pm:

I read the Arizona Republic,everyday,all of it.Sometimes I check out Matt Drudge.The media is what hyped the Elian case up.Right before we went on vacation all my friends were calling me about the 2 American girls murdered in Costa Rica,WTF? That was the biggest thing that happened in the whole country in God knows how long!! There are drive-by shootings daily and home invasions in my neck of the woods.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 12:30 pm:

i can't watch local news programs.....utter garbage

i do fancy nightline, 20/20 and dateline from time to time. Stone Philips seems very nice.

explain:
    "I'm for people who identify certain core political values they feel are consistently betrayed by their Party to help in the overturning of the two Party hegemony."

I am kinda behind in understanding the core issue with the open primary vs. closed primary.

By heather on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 12:41 pm:

i get my news from this place and the people around me

i'm rather pathetic

i don't care

it's all sort of irrelevent to me right now, it seems like people get caught up in so many small details (mostly about other people whom they will never see nor affect) and have no idea what's really going on in life

By Margret on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 01:07 pm:

"I'm for people who identify certain core political values they feel are consistently betrayed by their Party to help in the overturning of the two Party hegemony."

What I mean by this is that the freedom of assembly allows the creation of political parties based on a commonality of core issues and values. Fine enough. But there are a lot of what I will call 'moderate republicans' (this is an example, I'm sure you can find major schisms in the democratic party which are analagous, and frankly I'm most familiar with the two main camps of libertarians myself) who share certain (usually economic) values with the Republican Party writ monolithic, and end up having to vote for the republican candidate to see those values served despite their lack of interest in/revulsion towards the conservative social values the party frequently endorses. I am sure, also, that a lot of the social conservatives would like to see funding distributed by the federal government with greater social controls imposed as 'incentives' to promote various social/political agendas. In any case, the open primary initiative in California basically would allow anyone from any party to vote for anyone for any office who was on the ballot, not in any way shaped by a party affiliation. This might allow a lot of dems and independents (for example) to choose or greatly influence the republican candidate for dog-catcher, which the Republican Party feels violates their freedom of assembly because republicans should have the right to assemble and CHOOSE who they will offer up as a REPUBLICAN representative/official, whatever. The difference between California's proposed scheme and the open primaries enacted in various other states is that the other states require someone to have been a member of a party (regardless of whether they are currently affiliated with it, and my understanding of this is a bit shaky, so I could be factually incorrect) for at least 24 hours to be able to vote in the primary.
    My commitment is to the freedom of assembly first and popular, not legislative, action to remedy what is an obvious problem with the monolithic National Parties. If you're a moderate republican who voted for McCain in your primary and you're horrified at the thought of voting for George W. Bush or Al Gore, then by god organize a coalition party, register it, and get candidates you can get behind. Ditto if you're a sort of conservative democrat with the same problems. Not only that, but don't think the existence of the Reform party lets you off the hook. If you can't get behind that candidate, or the candidate the libertarians are offering, or either of the two main parties, then for the love of pete organize and offer your candidate up. Try to get other republicans and dems to defect. If H. Ross Perot was good for anything besides making money and being easily caricatured, it was publicizing the meaningless non-proliferation of meaningful choices with respect to government positions.

By agatha on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 01:12 pm:

i like to read the "living" section, and the comics. oh, and my horoscope. oh, and the help wanted section. oh, and one more- i love dear abby!

By mistaswine on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 01:14 pm:

you're so femme.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 01:28 pm:

i gathered the gist of it (c/o LA Times) margret...i just wanted to see you wank like that. thanks, you rock!

By Isolde on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 01:51 pm:

(1) Yes
    (2) a. SF Chron. & Examiner, sometimes the local papers (Mendocino Beacon, Frt. Bragg Advocate), New York Times
    b. BBC, NHK, RTI (All via short wave radio)
    (3) Daily (except the local papers because they usually suck)
    (4) I read the news.
    (5) a. I'm disturbed by this media circus over Elian Gonzales. I'm also disturbed by the unsettlement in Africa.
    b. Of all the news papers/radios/telly shows, which is your favorite and why?

me: BBC, because I thik they present the most unbiased news and they just interviewed the Chemical Brothers yesterday.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 01:57 pm:

the itn world news is my favorite news show. mostly because i am madly in love with anchorwoman daljit dhaliwal.

By mistaswine on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 01:58 pm:

oh, man.

you too?

By Margret on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 02:11 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 02:12 pm:

Damn Right I'm bored. or maybe a little more talkative than normal.

1) infrequently, usually at a diner. For some reason, I can't enjoy a newspaper if there isn't a cup of coffee and a meal with it.

2)Lately, my choices have been the Wisconsin State Journal (or "that liberal rag" as it is referred to outside of Madison), the Chicago Tribune, and The Milwaukee Sentinel. I always grab up a free CityPages or whatever the free alternative weekly is when I'm in a city ( Used to love the Metrotimes when I lived around Detroit)

3)monthly

4)front page, world events, editorials (except in my home town, where the editor is a conservative MF), funnies, arts and entertainment, a glance at sports.

5) a. the lack of depth in analysis in general in all news stories. for example, the WTO protests - very little said about all the negative effects the WTO/IMF has on third world environments/economies.

b. I prefer the Daily Show for my news. Well, that and the internet. I like Discovery news for environmental stuff, and ther's a page that collects all the items online of anthropological interest.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 02:14 pm:

By mistaswine on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 02:22 pm:

actually, it's the southeast asian features/sultry voice/euro-accent combo that does it for me.

i have this thing for middle eastern/indian women that keeps getting me in all sorts of ugly trouble.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 02:51 pm:

i am not familiar with her. i don't have cable, maybe thats the prob, but she is hot......

By Bell_jar on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 02:52 pm:

I rarely read the paper. Sometimes I read the campus paper when my friend tammy has an article on the front page. i keep up to date via my nerdy roommate who is always informed. i'm in my own little world. it's kind of nice.

By sarah on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 02:53 pm:

i read a good portion of both the new york times and cnn online every morning. i read my local evening and sunday newspapers. i also get news from npr and the radio. i don't have a tv, and rather infrequently i'll catch some news on the tv's that are hung above the cardio machines at the gym. but most of the time those tv's are broadcasting sports or sitcoms.

By Dougie on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 05:45 pm:

Oh yeah droopy, she's the ITN woman. I love her

By Isolde on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 08:57 pm:

Woah. She is rather hot...

By droopy on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 09:17 pm:

yup. i'm like swine - my first love was an olive-skinned kurdish-armenian girl who forever sent my heart looking east.

by the way, it's spelled "whoa."

dang it.

By But but on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 10:55 pm:

i thought it was like in the song,

so they while away the hours
    in their ivory towers
    till we cover them with flowers
    in the back of a limousine, woah,

nanana, nana na nah
    nanananana na nah,
    talkin' bout you and me
    and the games people play

Joe South

By Daniel ssss. on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 12:24 am:

I'm proud to admit I read with undaunted fervor and sometimes angst the Kirkwood Times (where all the men wear corduroy Dockers and matching long sleeved Polos to mow their lawns) or South County Journal (good for bird cage bottoms and fish wrap), perusing the cooking and society pages, and reading the junior high waterpolo scores. Sometimes I read it weekly, sometimes daily, but they only come out weekly. So sometimes I read them more than once. They're short. And it's not waterpolo season.

My friend writes for South County and for Runners' World, but the two publications don't publish the same piece, if ya know what I mean.

Oh, I forgot: My Thursday afternoon is spent in rapt anticipation of the, freely delivered to your local Subway shop, Thrifty Nickel Want Ads. Me and Dixie sort through all the swap meet entries for hog rotisserie parts, you know, like cables, and skewers, and salvage dioxin from old electric motors.

Occasionally I get my news from Parabola, the Magazine of Myth and Metaphor. Afterall, everything that happens now has happened before. I used to read NY Times, Chicago Trib, and Wash Post, and St Louis Post Dispatch but then the depression set in and the voices told me to stop. That was years ago, and we have made a full recovery.

Daljit rocks. But it disturbs me that boat child Elian will probably pre-empt the coverage of La Nina's devastation in The Great Lakes, where "warm dry weather has water levels in the lakes so low - grounding boats and making navigating harder for others- that shipping, fishing recreation and (OH NO) tourism are being threatened." (Who has gotten rescued escaping from Windsor Ontario lately anyway? Apparently you can walk across.) USA Today Mon 4/124/00 front page stuff kids!!!

And the other distrubing front page topic, subordinated to page 11, same rag, "Stress is linked to belly Fat." I realize this belongs under another string; forgive me.

And the economic news...we're now selling $10 gold and platinum coins for $405...to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Library of Congress. It is the first ten dollar coin, so why is it so damn expensive. The $1 coin is $32, uncirculated, but if it's not circulated, what good is it? I'm sorry: I'll stick to msn.com where I know everything I see is true. Such news is so disturbing.

Maybe Mark should start a news service, like sorabji.com pager messages, or maybe WE are one, and just don't know our audience, you think? What's the news coming to....

By Gee on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 03:00 am:

am I being a dictator? how cruel of me.

but it's not research for school or papers. I finished all my work and handed it in a couple of weeks ago. but on my anthropology final exam one of the questions was about the Classic Maya collapse. they showed us a graph and asked us what it suggests about the collapse. I answered it the best I could even though I didn't know the answer, and when I got home I checked my books to see if I was even close and I couldn't find the answer in there either. So I asked Semillama because he's an archaeologist and I figured he would know such things. plus, because I'm fond of him, I figured his personal opinion would be a good thing too.

asking someone else to research my homework for me would be really stupid of me. ideas, yes - research no.

as for the entertainment portion of our show, may I suggest - Dancing Pigs? I'm not thinking of any pig in particular.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 09:56 am:

My 1 cent:

1) Yes

2) the Philadelphia Inquirer

3) Pretty much every day

4) I always read the Magazine section (Ann Landers, comics, music/literature/health/family news) and the Neighborhood section (local happenings, crime reports, weather). I never read the sports or business sections.

5) Hmmmmm....re: a conversation I had last night -- do you think there's someone out there for everyone? If so, do you think they develop at the same rate you do? For example, say you're a psycho when you're an adolescent but you become healthier as you get older, do you think that they too get healthier parallel to you? Do you know what I'm saying? Because what if you get healthy but they're still stuck in some weird hung-up state and that prevents the two of you from ever getting together? Then what would be the point of you having been made for each other, if such a situation even exists?

By patrick on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 11:53 am:

Damn it Spider! It must be the colored chalk we gave your school last semester.

I am giving you a ball. See it bounce?

By heather on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 12:02 pm:

the whole point would be that if you were made for each other you would fit together at least some time in your life. or you're not made for each other

excuse me, i've had dayquil

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 12:08 pm:

Patrick: Granted, I've been stupid lately, but....what are you talking about? What ball? Did you tell me something that I don't remember? What?

Heather: You're right.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 12:32 pm:

Rhi:

"5) Hmmmmm....re: a conversation I had last night -- do you think there's someone out there for everyone? If so, do you think they develop at the same rate you do? For example, say you're a psycho when you're an adolescent but you become healthier as you get older, do you think that they too get
    healthier parallel to you? Do you know what I'm saying? Because what if you get healthy but they're still stuck in some weird hung-up state and that prevents the two of you from ever getting together? Then what would be the point of you having been made for each other, if such a situation even exists?"

i wasn't saying you were stupid, i was saying that perhaps you were thinking of this too much, in a light hearted way.....making a silly comment to bring you back to basics like bouncy balls.

that colored chalk can stir up some "crazy" ideers.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 01:00 pm:

i get all my news from the host of "Interior Motives".

he just calls me three times a week and tells me what to think.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 01:00 pm:

Ohhhhhhh. Sorry.

So you're the people responsible for the colored chalk? I always wondered where it came from...

By mistaswine on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 03:32 pm:

By mistaswine on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 06:06 pm:

By L on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 04:15 pm:

shit- you ppl are all still around- wow- long time no read

By J on Monday, May 1, 2000 - 02:05 am:

Is that you Lucy?

By MapleLeaf on Monday, May 1, 2000 - 11:13 am:

1) yes
    2) Toronto Star
    3) daily
    4)definitely - sports.
    Avoid - comics/crossword/classifieds
    5) Wondering how badly Patrick will scrape his knees when he jumps off the Flyers' bandwagon when they are dismissed by the lowly Penquins?

Go Leafs!!!!

By J on Monday, May 1, 2000 - 03:14 pm:

Glad you are back Maple Leaf:)

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 11:32 am:

Thanks J....but I'm not happy to be back ...I enjoyed the great weather/golf courses ...hated having to come home.

And now the Leafs are in trouble :0(

By Margret on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 11:47 am:

go redwings.

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 12:44 pm:

The redwings???????...known as the Dead Wings around these parts ....they recovered slightly last night.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 12:49 pm:

yay redwings!!!!!!
    toronto still has a great chance maple. That game the other night was tough and close. what up with the flyers????? God damn....i hope they didn't get spooked? they didn't loose a game to the Pens all season long......

this is my ideal final four:

detroit
    toronto
    flyers
    dallas

if these four teams go at it.....expect a blood bath. although i wouldn't mind seeing Dallas and Colorado go at it some more. Those two have some bad blood as well.......the hockey play offs are a direct cause of my beer consumption increasing by approx 35%.

By J on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 01:02 pm:

I don,t know anything about hockey,but I do know the awful feeling when you come back home after vacation,it took me a couple of weeks to adjust.

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 01:05 pm:

Hate to tell you this but the Flyers aren't going to make it ,,,too many problems off the ice and it is directly affecting the play on the ice.

Bobby Clarke's treatment of Eric Lindros...and now Roger Neilson, the coach recovering from cancer treatment, has created a rift between management and the players.... but Craig Ramsey couldn't coach a youth team.

I hear you on the beer consumption...you reminded me I need replenishment at home....big night tonight ...game at 7 (Flyers and Pens) and then another at 10 (Stars and Sharks). Late night tonight !!!!

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 01:09 pm:

It hasn't taken me that long ...it doesn't take long to reestablish a routine of doing nothing :0)

By patrick on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 01:15 pm:

i dunno....i think they can pull it off. i know about the off-ice probs, but they had those against buffalo......i think they can do it if they focus and get their forcheck going. Tugnut has been playing like a champ but will fall with enough pressure....

anyway, i can theorize about this crap till the sun goes down. yeah me and some buds are getting together later as well. our local pub is kind enough to give us full access to the teley's....

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 02:44 pm:

To sit and watch 2 games at a pub in Canada would be an expensive proposition at $3.25 (CDN) a bottle .... not to mention the uninformed comments from playoff hockey experts who seem to come out of the woodwork at this time of year ...much prefer the quietness of my personal TV room and beer fridge within arm's length.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 03:27 pm:

yeah i have been meaning to reorganize my disposable income priorities

By Margret on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 04:27 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, May 2, 2000 - 07:06 pm:

By semillama on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 09:42 pm:

Damn I'm bored.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact