rambling

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: rambling
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
moonit on Sunday, August 6, 2000 - 05:29 am:

I made a really cool photo frame today that I think I might take a picture of - cause I'm giving it to my friend Melissa.

I had a suck weekend - my birthday was crapola yet again - I think I try to hard to make other people happy instead of myself - and I'm not gonna do that anymore. I kept getting asked for ID. I'm twentyfreakinfivedammit,

Do you ever wish you could just run away? Cause thats what I feel like doing now.

I need to sleep.

I dont want to go to work tomorrow and have people ask me how my weekend was, should I lie? Should I say 'crap!'?

Do you think that when its your birthday all attention should be focused on you? Cause I do and that didnt happen from the people that it should of.

Fuck.

There was no eye candy on Friday night when I went clubbing. None. My eyes went home starving.

I bought some fake white leopard fur to cuff the bottom of my bootleg pants with for next weekends trip to the capital city - wellington - can't wait YAY.

vent ramble vent ramble vent.

By J on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 02:20 am:

Moonit,take Monday off, for you.

By Zephyr on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 05:07 pm:

Moonit, it's ok...life sucks, but then you have some cake.

By moonit on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 05:40 pm:

I wish I could of J - I am actually supposed to be on holiday but I had to cancel.

I like cake - might have to go find something evilly chocolatey at lunchtime.

By Satan on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 05:52 pm:

DID SOMEONE SAY EVIL? I HAVE EVIL FOOD FOR YOU, FAGGOTS!

By Mavis on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 06:09 pm:

i wish i could take mondays off....to go eat cake!

that's funny, did you guys hear something?
    must've been an ill wind

By Trace on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 06:15 pm:

More Like a fowl stench

By Mavis on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 07:34 pm:

plus also a festering pile of discarded moldy toenails,
    made into a frappe,
    digesting in the sun

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 09:56 pm:

Where is satan's IP from?
    Is it the same on each posting?

By moonit on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 10:06 pm:

is that it?

I'm finding satans posts so interesting. He
    always seems to say the most amazing
    things. In fact I am thinking of worshiping
    satan, due to his rampant homophobia, and
    his calling of us evil.

i'm such a liar.

By Cat on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 10:19 pm:

Satan's IP is from: Birch Telecom, 2020 Baltimore Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64108, US.

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 10:19 pm:

Maybe Satan is upset with homosexuals because the last one failed to give him a "reacharound" :+)

By moonit on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 10:24 pm:

How did you find that out Cat? Or should I call
    you detective?

By Wavy on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 11:51 pm:

If you can get the IP, you can sometimes find out who the provider is by
    a) typing the IP into the browser address window and seeing what pops up
    b) running a tracert on the IP and checking the names on the last few hops

I'm sure there's another way - that's just how I'd do it.

How did they get Satan's IP anyway?

By Cat on Tuesday, August 8, 2000 - 12:35 am:

Detective Cat does have a certain ring :)

You can do a check on IP's at www.swhois.net

By Mavis on Tuesday, August 8, 2000 - 11:59 am:

why cat! you're so
    sassy when you're sleuthing!

By J on Tuesday, August 8, 2000 - 04:20 pm:

And I noticed Satan must have got paranoid

By Mavis on Tuesday, August 8, 2000 - 04:54 pm:

yeah, i saw that as well

By semillama on Tuesday, August 8, 2000 - 07:32 pm:

You can imagine the cold sweat that instantly broke out on his brow when he read his IP address up there.

and he must've shit himself when trace revealed he worked for the smae company that provides Satan with service.

By Zephyr on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 03:55 pm:

Yes.

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 03:59 pm:

And we are taking care of the problem here

By Cat on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:09 pm:

No Trace, I personally would prefer that you left the kid alone...he hasn't surfaced since the posts about his IP. He was offensive, but no harm done, we're all big people...Let him go in peace.

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:21 pm:

The problem with that is he is positng from host0. That would be the home office, not from a customer

By Cat on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:28 pm:

Sooooo? Sorry, but I don't want to be a part, even indirectly, of having someone punished for their stupidity. His job could be affected, and yes, he should have thought about that before he posted. But he's probably learned his lesson.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:29 pm:

Oh, that would distress me if it wasn't actually some 13-year-old kid but someone pissing people off in their spare time at work...

By Zephyr on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:29 pm:

I thought he came back...or something (see the Das Boot thread)

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:35 pm:

Yes, was that him? Who posted as Yo Mama?
    I don't mean to sound like "all that" or something, but I am an IT manager here, and kind of have an abuse responsibility. But, if you all are not too greatly offended, then we can just warn him.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:37 pm:

Yo mama is a different troll. Not from the same ISP.

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:42 pm:

OK.

By Zephyr on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:43 pm:

Oh fun...another one.

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:46 pm:

We had his hard drive scanned yesterday, after you told us the IP address. He cleans out his internet cache every day, it looks like. He also is smart enough not to download anything

By Cat on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:53 pm:

Um Trace...are you the same person who pasted the huge "freedom of speech" post? Stupidity pisses me off, but hypocrisy really offends...so you better give youself a warning at the same time as Satan.

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:55 pm:

You are all the ones who chased his ip address down, i was just following your lead. Hypocrisy?

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 04:59 pm:

But, I was asking you all if you wanted to push it far enough. He would not have been terminated, his internet access would be restricted. I would never terminate anyone for something as trivial as posting on a bbs.

By Cat on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 05:05 pm:

Chasing someone's IP is easy, a simple click of the mouse or two. And I think the intention was simply to shake a finger at Satan, not to raise a posse and have him fired from his job.

Now just chill and let him slip through the cracks of the internet.

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 05:15 pm:

I was planning on it, we are just watching.
    I just feel (as an admin, I have to) that we must protect Birch from risk. And posting hateful, spitefilled messages on a bbs using company equipment on company time is something worth paying attention to.

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 06:12 pm:

It got awful quiet all of the sudden

By Zephyr on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 06:24 pm:

Yeah. Sorabji's actually been kinda slow these last couple of days. I guess.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 06:25 pm:

Always does about this time. I think everyone's commuting. well, not everyone... It's only 4:20 here, but people to the east are going home... the employed ones, anyway.

By Mavis on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 06:35 pm:

hell no let's party!!!!!!
    i have to work for two more hours!

By semillama on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 06:38 pm:

that would be it, although there are a lot of folks out on the West Coast.

And i think that Trace's company would be well within it's rights to yank the guy's internet access. Posting in his spare time my ass, for a while it was like ever other post. It's one thng if you do it from home, but another if you do it from where you work.

His actions are pretty devious sounding. wonder what else he's been up to?

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 06:41 pm:

That is my thought exactly

By semillama on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 07:43 pm:

I mean, a little slacking off from work to check here and a few other fav sites, well, that's ok. Everyone needs a break. But blitzing a site like he did, what the fuck.

Oh well.

(a sorabji historical note for those who weren't here then - Racist remarks will get your ass kicked off here in a hurry. Re: oatmeal boy)

By Jay on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 08:05 pm:

I'm addicted to oatmeal. i got off my raisin bran kick. the flatulence just became too much. oatmeal and ice cream rocks like wesley willis.

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 08:35 pm:

I think the argument, though, is over Trace's inconsistency.

Trace, from the Election Time Political Statement thread:

"However, in a public forum, we should not choose what constitutes speech, and what constitutes just trying to piss someone off, that is a matter of opinion and judgement."

However, now, in the name of his corporation, Trace is "watching" a poster to Sorabji. Sure, I make it sound sinister, but it's not unlike Trace making any opposition to hateful speech dangerous.

So, now Trace is spying on an employee because they engaged in hateful speech. Why? To protect a corporation from risk.

Why can't he do it to protect a homosexual person from a worse risk?

By Trace on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 10:38 pm:

Point 1: He was/is (See agatha frye's webpage) making hateful/spiteful comments using Company Property, Company Resources, and Company time.
    Point 2: He attacked Pilate.
    Point 3: If I have to use company rules and politics to stop him from doing this at work, I will. I am not stopping him from doing it at home or anywhere else. Just company time & property.
    I beleive in free speech, but while you have a point and I do also see "hipocracy" and contridiction, the work place is not the place to make any kind of statement, period. He is being paid to work, not pull that shit.
    Plus, again, he attacked Pilate.
    And if I have to use company policy to punish him for it, I will.
    And maybe this is a good lesson for everybody.
    Your actions, on either side, have consequences.
    This man posing as satan may possibly loose access to the internet while at work.
    Those who tracked down his IP and ISP helped contribute to the possibility to him loosing internet priveledges.
    Oh, by the way, I do intend to forget the entire thing if he does not post either here or at Agatha's site again, or I do not catch any other "indescresions". Maybe this will stop his behavior

By Cat on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 11:31 pm:

You rock Antigone!

Sorry, just had to say that

By Spider on Wednesday, August 9, 2000 - 11:56 pm:

Can people really scan your hard drive through the internet? Just your cookies, or the whole thing?

By Trace on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 12:04 am:

I am an admin, and I can scan everything on their work pc. And, yes, if they get your ip address, they sure can scan your hard drive from the internet. Microsoft does it all the time when you are on their site to check for unregistered opperating systems or ms software

By J on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 01:23 am:

Fucking Big Brother

By Isolde on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 01:42 am:

I remember when someone wrote "big brother is watching you" on the sidewalk outside the coffeehouse.
    that was random.
    Oh well.

By Isolde on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 01:42 am:

I remember when someone wrote "big brother is watching you" on the sidewalk outside the coffeehouse.
    that was random.
    Oh well.

By Cat on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 03:07 am:

"I beleive in free speech, but while you have a point and I do also see "hipocracy" and contridiction, the work place is not the place to make any kind of statement, period."

Are you not posting some of your statements from work, Trace? You gotta get off that high horse sometimes or you're gonna get saddle sore.

By Cat on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 06:05 am:

Sorry I'm just being a bitch now. I'm going to sheath my claws and go back to my basket.

Over to the big kids...

By TBone on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 12:52 pm:

I love you guys.

That's probably the coffee talking, but I don't care.

Trace, I think you've got the right idea. I applaud you for giving him a chance to stop. Many companies wouldn't, I'm sure. Antigone, you've got some great points too. Cat, I'm glad you're here to remind us not to form a mob and lynch him for being irritating.

Boy, there are some things that one just shouldn't be doing from work. I'm just glad he stopped.

As far as "scanning your harddrive" from the internet... It's really not so simple. There is a lot of paranoia going around about that sort of thing, and I admit some of it is warranted, but certainly not all...

For the most part, the big danger lies in the programs you run. Simply connecting to the internet doesn't give people full run of your computer.

Now, if you're on a network or broadband internet, then people can watch all your internet traffic with ease. When I first moved into the dorms, I watched people type their email when I was bored. (I don't do that anymore.)

There are some trojan programs that WILL allow people to read whatever they want on your drive and more... Back orifice, netbus, and I imagine there are more. I haven't looked at that stuff in some time.

If I'm wrong, and windows DOES send that kind of private stored information over the internet, then things have changed since I went to Linux.
    ...but I think that would still be illegal, and Microsoft would be in more trouble than they are.

Woah. Tangent. More Coffee.

By Trace on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 12:57 pm:

Coffee is good

By J on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 01:18 pm:

I managed to screw my computer up and I don't even know how and it took a week to fix it,had to get a new motherboard.I just do not understand any of this,but when I see things like people being able to read someone else's e-mail I get so paranoid.The guy that fixed my computer,works with my husband,it was bad enough when he tried to save my Napster songs that Fucking in a wheelbarrel came up.

By Trace on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 01:20 pm:

fucking in a wheelbarrel???

By TBone on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 01:23 pm:

Sounds like an interesting song to me. Who's it by?

By J on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 01:55 pm:

I don't know,my son must have got it,he had me kicked off Napster for a while,I know it was from MP3,but just did a search and don,t see it,it wasn 't a good song.

By Antithesis on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 03:41 pm:

As far as vulnerability over the internet goes, check out www.grc.com. He has a bit of freeware called "shieldsUp" that tests your security. Very neat, but pretty scary. Windows is NOT safe. and Mr. Gibson kicks ass. he writes in straight-up Intel assembly language.

By Trace on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 03:48 pm:

I told you windows is not safe (I am an NT Admin, I should know, I know all the back doors)

By TBone on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 03:55 pm:

Oh, windows certainly isn't safe.. I don't want to imply that. What sort of things did you see on that page? Being behind a proxy, I don't get anything.

By Cat on Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 06:09 pm:

TBone, you're adorable, thank you for your peaceful words.

I have a new-found fondness for puter geeks..my newly beloved is one..I'm trying to learn your language.

By J on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 01:37 am:

Me too.If I can figure out how to send a scan to e-mail,but can't figure how to post it.Could I send it via e-mail to someone else's e-mail and could they post it?

By TBone on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 01:50 am:

I'll do it.

By J on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 12:29 pm:

Thanks TBone I think I can do it,when I clicked on your name,for your e-mail address,I got a box saying I have to specify my e-mail address.I'm going to try to do it.

By J on Friday, August 11, 2000 - 04:00 pm:

I give up,gonna take a shower and try again,when I get a grip ,also downloaded the shit talker again,but can't find where it is.

By J on Saturday, August 12, 2000 - 09:43 pm:

Just to remind me for monday

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact