Opposites

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Opposites
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Zephyr on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 02:24 pm:

What is the opposite of a hole?

This question and concept disturbs me, especially because I can't find an answer.

By Mavis on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 02:31 pm:

a mound

By semillama on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 03:14 pm:

A hole is defined by absence of the solid that surrounds it. I suppose something like fossil volcano cones like Devil's Mountain are the opposite of holes, because they are what's left behind after the surrounding rock has eroded away.

By Trace on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 03:22 pm:

are you asking what is the opposite of what is in a hole, or the physical structure of the hole?

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 03:39 pm:

Shut your word hole.

By dbone on Wednesday, August 23, 2000 - 03:41 pm:

oh crap.

"mound" is a synonym for "hole".

the opposite is "schlong".

By PeriPheral on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 02:34 am:

One of my favorite cuts: "You ain't nothin' but a hole surrounded by ass."

By Pez on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 03:53 am:

a variation of an old camp song:

"in that woman, there was a hole, and on the man, there was a stick...."

By Zephyr on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 12:01 pm:

Seriously, people.

Think about it.

Imagine a flat plane. There's a circular hole in the plane, it goes all the way through it. Now imagine that hole not being in the plane.

What the hell is the word to describe that?

A continued solidity of being?

The opposite of a mound would be a depression or a hollow or a valley or even a pit. I'm just talking like a hole in, per se, a peice of paper.

By Pez on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 01:14 pm:

that reminds me. i read sphere a few weeks ago. black holes are the edges of the universe.

maybe the opposite of the hole is the paper itself, 'cause there's nothing else.

By TBone on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 01:25 pm:

But...

The opposite of left is right, but the opposite of right is wrong...

By PeriPheral on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 02:24 pm:

The hole is just a discontinuity within the bounds or space of a piece of matter, isn't it? Could be a perforation. As for black holes, I don't know. The 'matter' that they're holes in is the fabric of space and time. Only, from what I've heard, when you go in those holes, you don't come out. Or maybe you come out in a parallel universe, though I think, supposedly, that you'd be streched into bits. Many thanks to Stephen Hawking and that episode of the Simpsons when Homer gets sucked into the black hole.

By Trace on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 02:25 pm:

A Black hole is the absence of matter. A hole has matter, it has at least gas.

By dbone on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 02:36 pm:

since i've already done my part for general misinformation (soundproofing), i'm sticking with my original answer. i hope that's the correct spelling of schlong.

By TBone on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 03:03 pm:

Black holes are not the absence of matter. A vacuum is the absence of matter.

I'm with dbone. Schlong.

By Trace on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 03:12 pm:

Black Holes are vacuums so strong that light cannot escape them, hence the term "black hole"

By TBone on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 03:31 pm:

vacuum is not a force. Space is a near perfect vacuum. Can't have less than nothing.

A black hole is an intense GRAVITATIONAL field caused by MATTER packed extremely densely.

Light travels best in a vacuum.

What a black hole is really is what's called a "singularity" A nearly one-dimentional dot of matter packed insanely tight. This creates a gravitational field so strong that light cannot escape once it passes the event horizon. The event horizon is the edge of what we consider to be a "black hole" where light goes but does not return. That is the point where something would have to be travelling faster than the speed of light to escape the black hole.

Some cosmologists think it might be possible to travel through a black hole if you could avoid the singularity. If you reach the singularity, you become the singularity. Or rather, your matter is added to it.

There was something very entertaining about seeing Homer discover the 3rd dimention and fall into a black hole.

By Trace on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 03:43 pm:

I love the physic lessons!!
    next, trig! Or how about quantum physics?
    :-)

By TBone on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 03:57 pm:

Trig isn't as cool. Quantum physics blows my mind.

By Jay on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 04:01 pm:

Yeah thats pretty good shit. i heard somewhere that the universe is like, a sandwich say, except it is constantly growing larger. expanding outward. It has two sides and edges and a black hole would be something like poking a hole through the middle of the sandwich and connecting the two sides. In a sense, space is opened within space. Heavy.

By Jay on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 04:04 pm:

I always loved that cartoon where the guy invented portable holes. the bad guy stole one, threw that bitch on the wall of a bank, strolled in and took the cash, when the cops tried to catch him he threw another hole on the ground and jumped in it to get away.

By Zephyr on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 04:19 pm:

I want some of those. Could come in mighty handy.

By semillama on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 04:32 pm:

I just read how extra dimensions are probably only a few millimeters thick, right there on top of us, and that our dimension is about the same tickness. Don't ask me to explain, I didn't understand it either.

However, they have supposedly proven that teh univeris is flat, not curved, and expanding indefinitely. So no "Big Crunch".

If you want to read a very good novel about singularities, try "Earth" by David Brin.

By PeriPheral on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 04:40 pm:

In the curved uni. vision, if you travel far enough in one direction, you end up just where you started. Unless you accidentally (or intentionally) join the singularity(s), I assume. How much can a black hole hold? And why would the universe need drains such as these? Since the universe is expanding, it would seem that there would be no need for the light and matter sucking black holes, unless it's trying to change into a collapsing universe.

By Tired on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 05:48 pm:

OK, this is how to visualize these things: Imagine flatland. 2-dimensional space. Now, if it isn't exactly 2 dimensional, but actual one micrometer thick, little flat things can't get around one another, so without some nifty experiments, they'll never know the difference. Now there's the finite-infinite-really fucking infinite trichotomy to deal with. If the universe is finite, picture flatland as being the surface of a ball. The surface of a pancake would work just as well, and coincides with what Jay is talking about. For the really ultrabig universe, read up on hyperbolic geometry. "The Geometry of Surfaces" by Stillwell is a good start.

By Wavy on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 06:06 pm:

Anyone ever read "Flatland" by Edward A. Abbot

It's a very simple, yet effective treatise (in the guise of a story) bout multiple dimensions. It was published in 1880.

If you want something really meaty to wrap your mind around, try "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku.

By Antithesis on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 07:24 pm:

for the answer to "why do we need black holes," try reading "The Dark side of the Universe" by James Trefil. Great. I love this stuff.

Because matter attracts matter, the more it "eats," the stronger it gets.

How about cosmic strings? vibrating in like 24 dimensions or something? I love this shit.

erm.

Hearing about multiple dimensions makes me laugh, because it reminds me of the Alexander Pope vision of god. Pope argued the Great Chain of Being, how everything, good and bad and in between, everything imaginable, was created by God, because God is the essence of Goodness and all Good qualities, and creativity and the ability to generate things was a Good quality: therefore the essence of goodness must also be the essence of creativity; and must have spawned at least one of EVERYTHING.

how does this relate to multiple dimensions?

I remember hearing that multiple dimensions were thought up because the big bang must have generated "anti-matter" as well as matter: exact opposites for each sort of particle in our universe, so you get this "shadow universe" existing right on top of ours, in the exact same space, just with all the particles spinning in the opposite direction. The argument seems reminiscent: The Big Bang must have created everything; even particles we can only imagine.

right. I'm starting an official Church of the Big Bang. There MUST be one out there already, somewhere.

By Pez thinking. on Thursday, August 24, 2000 - 11:46 pm:

1st is width
    2nd is heighth
    3rd is depth
    4th is time
    5th is tesseract

what's beyond the 5th dimension?

could it be defined in spacetime?

By Tired on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 12:15 am:

tesseract, what?

By Isolde on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 12:18 am:

What the hell, you haven't read Madeleine L'Engle? A Wrinkle in Time? A Wind in the Door? Many Waters? The Arm of the Starfish? Sheesh. Speaking of awesome books and authors, she's one of the best. Go find a copy of "A Wrinkle in Time," read it, don't put it down, and then talk to me.

By Antithesis on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 05:08 am:

I'd wager we can't really get a firm grasp in our puny little heads of the 5th dimension, call it what you will. We live 4 dimensional lives for the most part; I'm not sure we'd be able to really comprehend anything else. Like asking a two dimensional person (or three. a flatlander) about "up." He'd say something like "north? what is this 'up?' "

Dimensions don't need those names, you know. They're just ways of describing the area in which a given object exists.

I'm not sure what the point of all that was.

By P.e.z. on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 11:38 am:

i just want to know. i've been wanting to know for years.

:points to head: an inquiring mind lives here and it won't stop bothering me until i find out.

By Trace on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 11:48 am:

For Shame! I still read the Wrinkle in Time Series. I got the set in Jr High, and still love it

By TBone on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 12:45 pm:

Actually, the 4th dimention isn't really time. It's based on time in some way, or something.

A tesseract is a 4 dimentional version of a cube. It's not a dimention of its own.

A square's sides are equal in length in two dimentions, a cube in three, and a tesseract in 4.

"Drawing" a tesseract in 3 dimentional space looks like two cubes, one inside the other with the corners connected. It's similar to how drawing a cube in 2 dimentions looks like two squares with the corners connected.

If the 5th dimention has a name, I don't know it.

By TBone on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

Pez, if you can flag down Apparissus, he can tell you things about this stuff that will make your brain run off and hide, whimpering in the corner.

By Mavis on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 01:36 pm:

from what i hear of Aparissus, he's totally rocking.....

By TBone on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 02:37 pm:

I think he's pretty rockin'.

I'm really excited for him to move to Missoula. Have I been talking about him a lot?

He drops by here on occasion. I suppose I should let him speak for himself. I get excited.

By P.e.z. on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 09:14 pm:

mmmm...physics.

yum.

By NZA on Monday, August 28, 2000 - 12:56 am:

That does it - when I take my library books back, i'm getting out all those Madeline L'Engle books. It's been far too long since I read them.

By Isolde on Tuesday, August 29, 2000 - 01:07 am:

YA!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact