interactive fiction

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: interactive fiction
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:10 am:

i'm in a scrabble game with nelly, agatha, and, i think, mark thomas' sister. it involves interactive fiction. they turned my ominous stranger - maybe a fugitive, maybe a murderer - into a 9 year-old girl with blond hair, a st. bernhard, and a wounded toe. made me think of something i once heard on cartalk.

battle of the genders: creative writing

By Pez on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 12:28 pm:

hmmm...try one of those here?

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:00 pm:

The girl walked down the rainy New York street in a shabby brown coat. Her hair was stringy and wet from the morning's shower, and she was late for work.

By Dougie on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:29 pm:

If she had only remembered that today was the first day of Daylight Saving's Time, she would've gotten up on time. It's not like she hadn't been bombarded with it on all fronts: the happy TV anchorpeople, the newspaper, mother's chirpy message on her machine the night before, all in vain.

By Pez on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:53 pm:

she'd been woken up by her radio alarm. "it's 8:30 folks, and we have traffic!" so she threw on the first clean dry clothes she could find (who can help it if it's neon pink tights, a red plaid skirt, and a greenish turtleneck sweater?). then, of course, was her breakfast: half a moldy calzone that she'd grabbed on the way out of her apartment that looked a little portable.

By Tom on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 03:54 pm:

She made it halfway to the office in an awkward half-run, half-walk, (trying to preserve her dignity and punctuality is seldom easy) when she tripped over the bum who was sleeping, leg stretched out into the heavy foot traffic. She stumbled, cried out slightly, and fell heavily on her rear. Tears began to well up in her eyes as her ankle began to throb: it felt like a bad sprain. So severe was the pain that it took her a few moments to realize that the bum was now staring at her intensely, not even blinking.

By semillama on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 06:19 pm:

The icy blue glare of the transient froze her in place. The girl 's first thought had been to simply pick up her things and scurry on to work, yet there was something in the man's stare that compelled here to stay.

The man was wearing camoflague pants, old smeakers, and a Slayer t-sirt. Grime crusted his skin, and his black hair hung in thick dreadlocks around his gaunt face, framing it like some ghastly Da Vinci sketch.
    The bum's cracked lips parted, revealing yellowed teeth and a pasty white tongue.
    Faintly, a wheeze escaped.

"You...you ever go to eat a pork sausage, only to find there's hair growing all over it?"

And he gave her a look that chills her to this very day.

By Dougie on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 07:03 pm:

Finally, she made it to work. Once inside the drab, circa 1940s musty-smelling office building, she removed her coat and got on the elevator, pressing the button for the 14th floor. The elevator was crowded. The doors closed. All eyes were fixed above on the old, dial-faced floor counter with one clock hand ticking off the floors. Suddenly, in between the 10th and 11th floors, the elevator stopped abruptly; the lights went out.

By Pez on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 01:19 am:

alys pressed all the rest of the buttons. the elevator didn't move. she slumped against the wall and began to cry.

murmurs filled the elevator. "shit, the boss needs this now!" "there goes my interview" etc etc etc. and suddenly, a young man materialized, taking up the remaining space in the elevator.

By Green on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:44 pm:

He sneezed.

By Tom bored on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:50 pm:

"Shit, man!" cried one young man in a suit, standing close to the front of the elevator.

"You just sneezed all over my report! Bob's gonna fuckin' kill me! Who the hell do you work for! I'm gonna get your ass fired!" The young man stopped his tirade long enough to look the new man up and down. When he spoke again, his voice was quiet. quiet and frightened.

"shit. man. How'd you get here?" he gulped. "oh. um. Nice gun. Please don't kill me? Bob's an asshole, anyhow."

By Bell_jar on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:55 pm:

"God bless you," was murmured by the elderly man in the corner.

as the tears streamed down the woman's face so came the snot from her nose. she used the coat on her arm to wipe away both the tears and the snot.

By Bell_jar on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 02:56 pm:

scratch my entry, tom was too fast for me

By Tom on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 03:16 pm:

*huzzah!* My kung_fu typing skills are too much for you, Alien Writer lady! Leave earth alone!

Whaddaya MEAN, YOU'VE got Marlon Brando's eyes?

FUCK! I have powers pinto beans can only DREAM of!

By semillama on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 06:13 pm:

The herd in the elevator pressed even further back into the walls at this strange new tirade.

The newcomer, Alys noticed, had strong chiseled features, Bryl-creamed hair, and a unfading, avuncular grin. A dark brown pipe, emitting some spicy odor definitely NOT tobacco, and certainly not pot either, was not so much clenched between his teeth, more so it adhered to them.

"Alys," the stranger began. "It's time. The Yacatizmic forces are growing stronger and you are needed elsewhere."

"B-b-but, I have an appointment with Bob! I'm needed on the 18th floor! I don't even know what you're talking about!" Alys burst out, still shocked by the uncoventional entrance of the stranger, who was dressed in a suit that was cut acording to fashion standards 50 years out of date.

"That's right, Alys," said the stranger. "You DO have an appointment with 'Bob.' Come along."

The stranger took her gently by the hand and they were enveloped in a soft green glow.

The others in the elevator began to squeal nervously, and the glow grew stronger, until it overloaded the business people's already strained retinas. When they could see again, Alys and the stranger were gone.

Alys blinked. She was suddenly soaked through with sweat, and a thousand different animal calls hit here from all directions. Gnarled tree trunks clawed their way to the sky, and broad leafed plants covered the ground. The air was almost liquid from the humidity, and the temperature must have been over 100 degrees. Oddly, the stranger seemed unaffected.

"Wh-where are we?" stammered Alys.

The Stranger turned and grinned even more intensely.

"Welcome to Bolivia."

By Isolde on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 08:12 pm:

The Stranger checked his palm pilot.

"Wait, scratch that," he said, looking confused. "We seem to have ended up somewhere to the left of the Bolivian Dimension. Goddamnit. Every time this happens. They're going to fire me soon, I know it."

The stranger was about to cry. This much was clear.

"Um..."

Large tears began to roll down the Stranger's face. He took to Palm Pilot and gazed at it sadly, before saying: "Well, I'm not really sure how to get out of here. There aren't any directions."

Somewhere off in the distance, someone screamed.

By Dougie on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 08:27 pm:

The stranger heaved his PalmPilot at the hysterical screaming women, knocking her out. She slumped in a heap to the floor of the elevator. "OK, well if this isn't Bolivia, we're going to find out where the hell we are." He grabbed Alys roughly by the upper arm, and pushed to the front of the elevator. He tried in vain to muscle open the doors. Then he produced a small penlight from the breast pocket of his Gucci jacket and pointed it skywards. "There's an escape door up there and we're getting out." He climbed up on the waist-high rail and removed the false-ceiling door. "OK, up you go," he said to Alys.

By Isolde on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 09:54 pm:

Alys was afraid of heights. The elvator shaft was daunting and dark.
    "No," she said.
    The man knocked her cold and started to climb the ladder.

By semillama on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 02:04 pm:

As Alys blacked out, her last coherent thought was "But we were just in a forest, not the elevator, how'd we get back...gotta pay attention to continuity next time..."

Everything went dark.

By Isolde on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 04:04 pm:

"You've really bunged it up this time," George said. "First of all, you never should have let the simulation progress that far. Second, you should have pulled the plug the instant the coninuity went. Now all the work that's gone into this prisoner has been wasted."
    Jane pursed her lips.
    "She's utterly useless now," George said. "Destroy her."

By Tom on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 09:00 pm:

Jane's face went blank for a moment. She stared down at George. The bald little man had recently been promoted to supervisor, and he was starting to get on her nerves.

"Listen up, Georgie. Everything was going just fine until you insisted we run your 'teleporting man' subroutine." She paused a moment to regain some composure, then continued in a flat voice, "we've scragged *way* too many subjects already. The people who pay the bills are starting to get upset. God, if this failure rate gets to the press, we're screwed. So SHUT UP and put her back in. I think we can save her. I mean, god. Call it a dream, or an acid flashback; put some tidy little moral in, and then carry on." she paused, glaring down at him.

She began to worry when she noticed that George's smirk had only grown. With a toothy grin, he pushed a button on the console, and the man in the Gucci suit appeared next to him. Gucci was grinning, too.

By Isolde on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 09:24 pm:

George smiled, and turned to Gucci.
    "Smurfnwot hfwoiefn nqur weriwnbiw r wnrwirn nqeuqn;f wew jroiwnrqwnr qiwwqe; newinqeiowbe' hfoenoq. Js ninp asd wu ndoad ass idnsuw jane. Jusjum iejwnd qiwrn nqornalfhw bgeqwdn. Jut," he said.
    Gucci nodded.
    "Deriwerfn neiwehro?"
    Gucci nodded again.
    "Well, Jane, that just about sums it up. You're of the project, off the team, and if you talk, you're off the earth."
    "But..."
    "Unless, of course, you want to destroy the prisoner as ordered by sticking this..." he pulled out a four foot strap on out of his drawer..."up her ass."

By sarah on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 10:08 am:

here it is.

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 11:20 am:

Gucci, George, Jane, and the cleaning lady simply stopped and stared at one another, and then, at the strap. It appeared to be rather innocuous, just a four foot long three inch wide brown leather strap which could have been mistaken as a belt for a gun-toting gorilla. Or something.

The cleaning lady had a gleam in her eye, oh happy days are here again said the gleam. But no one noticed.

George's stare moved from the strap, and was presently fixed on Gucci, and Gucci's beady little pink eyes stared hotly at Jane's expressionless and pale face. The contorted portrait artist, sitting quietly at a stainless steel easel hastily appearing in the corner of the now quiet and motionless room began to sketch in pastels the faces of the two of the three whose countenance had the beginning of a smirk.

Jane wasn't concerned with the artist whom she didn't see at all, and certainly wasn't aware of the cleaning lady's sick thoughts.

She was thinking, "What about Bob?" Of the least importance were the two protagonists, holding hands in some elevator in the universe.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact