what the FUCK??????????

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: what the FUCK??????????
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 11:19 am:

Before I start me little tirade, let me fend off a few rebuttals I can already see coming:
    I am for era, i think women have every right to have every job a man has, and be paid the same to boot, ok?

That being said, I applied and interviewed for a position in the company I work at now.
    In total, there were 4 applicants, 2 males and 2 females.
    The interview consisted only How much do you want, do you have a problem with the hours, and since you are over qualified, do you think you will get bored?
    The next day myself and the other guy got a generic "thanks, but no thanks" letter.
    The girls are still waiting to hear back.
    They got technical interviews, the other guy got the same bs interview i got.
    We have since heard that the manager told the interviewer they wanted a female in the position.

Is that discrimination? Not according to the laws on the books, no, but according to me it is.

By Doug on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 11:26 am:

You never know what's going on behind the scenes, especially if you apply for another job in the company you currently work for. There's probably politics going on (somebody up high wants the 2 females to have the jobs) and they posted the job internally just as a formality because they're required to do so.

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 11:31 am:

Yeah. Those jobs could already be cinched. Your employer is required by law to post any jobs available, and one of the girls may actually have the job, but your employer had to go through the rigamorole to keep it kosher. It's the way things work.
    And how do you know what kind of interview the girls had? Were you present? Maybe they got the same BS intrview you did? I think you're kind of quick to jump to the assumption that it's sexism.
    Anyway. I think that equal employment is very important. But in a case like this, I think there's more going on than you know/let on.

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 11:34 am:

they told me what kind of interveiws they had.

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 11:34 am:

they told me what kind of interveiws they had.
    and there was only one position.

By Dougy on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 11:52 am:

I wouldn't sweat it. The job was probably sewn up before it was ever posted. Maybe now's a good time to look elsewhere?

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 12:09 pm:

I think I will stay here a bit longer, they are pre-ipo, and I have options for stock purchase at the ipo price.
    A better position will roll around soon anyway, I would have been bored stiff in network surveillance

By patrick on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:01 pm:

maybe you should go blow your boss and see if things change

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:11 pm:

Maybe.

By Trace on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:31 pm:

hmmmm, I dont think i am ready for that, but thanks for the suggestion!
    Besides, i am sure that someone else has already beat me to that

By Nate on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 01:58 pm:

now you can just walk around and say things like "who do i have to blow around here to get a promotion"

you don't actually have to do it.

By Dougie on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:19 pm:

Yeah, that's what I walk around muttering to myself all the time too. Hell, I'd do it with Altoids, and then let them give me a walrus afterwards.

By Nate on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:28 pm:

how about a hot carlos sanchez?

By patrick on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 02:52 pm:

with tapatio on top

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 03:07 pm:

Speaking of blowing, I'm a free woman!
    I got the results of my pap smear and all that crap today, and I'm as clean as a baby's ass and ready to party!

By Cat on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 03:49 pm:

Maybe they know you post on here 30 times a day from work and well...they might want someone who actually does some work.

By Mavis on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:03 pm:

ha! cat!

By Cat on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:10 pm:

Hey Mavis...smooch. Did you see Cathy Freeman lit the Olympic cauldron? I wished I'd had your number so I could have called you right away...I knew you'd be pleased. I love it when my country can be of service to you.

By sarah on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:21 pm:

i'm curious. what specific type of job is it, and why do you think the reasons might be that they want to have a woman working that particular job?

By Mavis on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 04:52 pm:

cat-no i missed it, or did i?
    i am still at work, it's only 2 pm here.

cathy freeman is one hard-ass, rockstar, carnival ride of a lady......

By Apparissus on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 05:02 pm:

Mavis, we got your message. The living room futon has your name on it my friend.

By Mavis on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 05:08 pm:

RRROOOCCCKKKK!!!!!!!!

(that means thank you in excited mavis speak)

By semillama on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 06:24 pm:

Actually, isn't it illegal to use quotas for hiring?

What Trace described doesn't sound like Affirmative Action to me. Affirmative Action is only supposed to ensure that there is an equal chance for minorities or those traditionally underrepresented in the work force. his company is liekly breaking the law. Get your stock, then turn the fuckers in.

By Mavis on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 06:35 pm:

has anyone considered that maybe those women were more qualified than trace? that they are smarter, perhaps???

By Isolde on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 06:36 pm:

Yeah. I did, actually. But I think it's more likely that the job was already cinched, which basically implies that they might have been better qualified?

By Dougie on Friday, September 15, 2000 - 06:47 pm:

Nate, I think that once you get the hot carlos, the sanchez part is pretty well taken care of at that point, especially if the hot carlos-er doesn't have very good aim.

By Shane on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 03:37 pm:

gl-gl-gl-glghhhhh, arghhj, sniffle, hacque! hicfffff.

By Trace on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 07:05 am:

Hmm, I appreciate your thought on the matter (posting thirty times at work, more qualified than me, not smart enough, whatever), but the facts still remain.
    2 different types of interviews, imnmediate denial of all males applying for the position, and the director of the survelience department advising the interviewer she wants a female in that posiiton.
    Inet Survellience is little more than a baby sitting job, watching the servers, ensuring agains hacking and abuse of the system, and coordinating efforts to restore a server when it has gone down. I am an NT Admin with a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer cirtificate, and have the highest quality and quanity of work being done in the department of 25, despite "posting 30 times at work", and had the endorsement of the director of my department, and my immediate supervisor.
    I just had the wrong body parts, and was "overqualified".

By Tom on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 02:27 pm:

You have a problem: you have four options.

ignore the problem, get back to your cubicle, and shut up.

go over the problem: work harder, better, faster, till they give you what you want; as a last recourse, become indispensable and then threaten to quit.

go around the problem. Start a job search. If you're that qualified, it shouldn't be a problem.

Go under the problem: kill both of the women being interviewed.

Why would someone as skilled as yourself want a babysitting job? You get all these skills, these knowledges, so you can do a job you disdain as "babysitting?" That's not the way of a warrior. Put your abilities to use. Do something big and proud-making.

By Trace on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 06:04 pm:

True Tom.

By spunky on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

i miss these days.

Where are mavis and isolde?

By Spider on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:36 pm:

Isolde = Platypus.

By Antigone on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:59 pm:

I miss Trace. Where did he go?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact