Holiday Food that Makes Me Sick

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Holiday Food that Makes Me Sick
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Trace on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 07:27 am:

Green Bean Casserole
    Stuffing
    Scalloped Corn

By J on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 08:24 am:

yams,gag

By Pilate on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 08:28 am:

And don't forget the fruitcake.

By Dougie on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 08:31 am:

Nah, it's all good.

By MapleLeaf on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:00 am:

Mincemeat

By Trace on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:04 am:

I love yams. I had my first sweet potatoe pie at work, and it was better then candied yams with marshmellows

By Dougie on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 11:06 am:

I like mincemeat, but I wonder why it's called that. It's not meat. Must be the same deal as sweetbread (which is a meat) and sweetmeat (which is a candy). English is a really fucked up language.

By Trace on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 11:23 am:

By J on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 12:48 pm:

I made a mincemeat pie once,nobody ate it,I don't like pumkin pie either.But I love ham.

By dave. on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 01:39 pm:

sweet potatos and yams are evil. they are probably mostly responsible for my dislike of holidays. i was forced to eat them, i had to stay at the table and nobody could open presents until i was finished. instant gag reflex.

i love green bean casserole.

By patrick on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 01:46 pm:

me too

i have no idea what mincemeat pie is, but i would have to say the worst holiday food is indeed the fruitcake

By Nate on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 03:21 pm:

the best holiday food is oyster and sake shooters.

By moonit on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 05:41 pm:

mmmm tipsy trifle.

I'm taking it to my aunts.

By J on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 02:37 am:

What is tipsey trifle?

By Isolde on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 06:20 pm:

goose

By semillama on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 12:38 pm:

too many cookies and chocolate is the worst.

I am regarding this as making the resumption of my workout regimen all the more challenging.

By Jeffrey Scott Holland on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 05:23 pm:

I ate two entire cans of cashews last night/this morning.

I am now officially ill.

tasty, though.

By moonit on Monday, December 25, 2000 - 10:08 pm:

tipsy trifle bloody well rocked.

its sponge cake soaked with (blah) rum (but it was good even tho i hate rum) then a layer of custard, then bosenberries, then hunks of chocolate.

repeat.

chill

serve with whipped cream.

yum.

if you want the exact recipie email me ; )

By Gee on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

I asked Ishmael. he said: "Cranberries. I hate cranberries. I looooath cranberries."

so there you have it.

By sarah on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 07:48 pm:

yeah, that green bean casserole crap with creamy soup and fried onions... BLEAGH!

By Gecko on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 08:12 pm:

Gotta be Lutefisk, which, for those of you non-Norwegians, is a dish that is literally cod, dipped in lye, and then washed until all of the lye (And solid structure) is washed away. It is literally fish flavored and textured jello. Smothered in enough butter and salt, it is almost acceptable, but then again, so are shoe insoles.

The Gecko family Christmas tradition holds that all family members will have at least one bite of Lutefisk before they can open their presents on Christams eve.

By patrick on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 08:18 pm:

there is a great band in LA that made a resurgence lately called Lutefisk....i never knew what that was....

By Dougie on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 08:20 am:

Read some Garrison Keillor, especially Leaving Home, there are some great stories about Christmas lutefisk.

By Trace on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 08:48 am:

Green Bean Casserole is the anti christ

By Dougie on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 09:16 am:

Actually, the casserole with green beans, heavy cream and parmesan cheese is very good. Ditto on the creamy soup & fried onions thing though, Sarah.

I love cranberries -- they can be used many ways: boiled down into a jelly, food-processed with orange slices, baked into cranberry bread, used in turkey stuffing, and you can freeze them too.

By Czarina on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 10:06 am:

Yes Dougie,they can be used in a number of ways.
    A friend once announced in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner,that she used them on her
    hemorrhoids.Somehow,I would have rather never been privy to this information.

By Dougie on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 10:07 am:

I've heard of women drinking cranberry juice to help yeast infections, but how the hell would she use them to cure hemorrhoids?

By J on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 10:13 am:

butt berries?

By Czarina on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 10:19 am:

Drinking them doesn't help yeast infections,but it does help stabilize the the PH of the bladder,so it is very helpful for bladder infections.
    After I got over the initial shock of my friend making this announcement at the dinner table,I had to ask that very question.She swears by them.Apparently,she places/rubs them on this tender area,and says its "miraculous" what they can do.

By Dougie on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 10:55 am:

Woops, meant bladder infections.

By Czarina on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 04:42 pm:

But I don't have any handy tips for alternate uses of green bean casserole.

By agatha on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

i fucking love green bean casserole. maybe i'll make it tonight.

By patrick on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 07:39 pm:

yeah i was gonna say, i kinda like it.

you've got balls agatha, i was scared to say so.

got any naked pics?

(scurries)

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

i have seen a semi nude agatha.....in my mail art...with the little lass......

but thats different

By droopy on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 08:17 pm:

i've never had green bean casserole.

this is what i did for dinner:

poured a glass of wine.

put water on to boil for spaghetti.

then i put a pan on the other burner and put it on a low heat. put a generous amount of olive oil in it. chopped up some onions and put them on to saute. followed a little later by some garlic. then a little dried oregano. then some chopped up anchovie. all of which i cook together slowly while the pasta is cooking.

when the pasta a is al dente, i strain it and then toss it together with the stuff in the pan along with some leftover cooked chicken. i cover the pan and let the flavors blend. i clean up a little. then i take the cover off the pan, sprinkle it with a generous amount of parmesan - which i mix into the pasta so that it coats the spaghetti - and dump it on a plate.

dinners like this are why i'll live forever.

By Antigone on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 08:39 pm:

Not likely!

Green bean casserole would do you better, made
    with 1% milk and light on the fried onions, tho...

By droopy on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 08:47 pm:

"...even if she did fear Italians. They looked so dark and dangerous. And she did not care much for their food, especially their garlic. And they seemed never to die. They eat olive oil all day long, Helen's mother had instructed her, and that's what does it; did you ever in all your life see a sick Italian?"

"Ironweed", William Kennedy

By dave. on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 10:46 pm:

william kennedy makes me never want to visit albany/troy/schenectady. that's about the only thing i came away from his books with.

By dave. on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 10:49 pm:

i made a delicious gbc this year. the trick is to use the cream of mushroom with roasted garlic soup instead of the plain cream of mushroom soup.

By J on Monday, January 8, 2001 - 01:59 am:

Dave,I will have to try that,sounds good,I believe that I posted my Thanksgiving dinner and I made the green bean casserole.I almost didn't make it for Christmas,but I knew some of my spawn really like it,so I made it.Brucifer and Barry G. came over,to fuck with my family,Barry is Jewish,is he going to hell for eating ham? He is the only person that I know is more wired tight than me.My mom didn't reconize me( I bet I spelled that wrong)even after I pointed out that I had my hair cut,and it's been long for years.She is Veronica.

By Shelz on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:20 am:

lol i know it doesnt

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact