Goodbye Mr. Douglas Adams

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Goodbye Mr. Douglas Adams
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Skooter on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

I can't belive that not one of the fearless geeks on this site, including myself, didn't mention the passing away of one of our most gifted writers. I saw him in a lecture two weeks ago, and he looked healthy and full of life. The odds are good that he has just discovered how to fly, and is having a pan-galactic gargelblaster right now. Hey god, get him another one and put it on my tab.

By droop on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:20 pm:

fearless ubergeek nate mentioned his passing, along with perry como's, somewhere on these boards.

now is the long, dark tea-time of my soul.

By Hal on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:50 pm:

I actually was just about to place a Memorial Post for Mr.Adams and his towel.

But for loss of myself was barely able to notice this one. He was an acomplished writer and has changed many a life.

http://www.douglasadams.com/

By Nate on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 05:51 pm:

billy higgins died, too. i failed to mention that.

By patrick on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

yes....there was a wonderful/sad article in the LA Weekly about him

By dave. on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 06:56 pm:

By Kalliope on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 08:21 pm:

you guys sure are spunky.

as dorky as I am, I never read more than the first chapter of Hitchiker. I had a friend in high school though who everytime I hear someone mention Douglas Adams, I think of. Dirk Trachy. (That was his name.) He was one of those kids that I'd probably fuck in a heartbeat now but back then I kept our friendship at a distance. (I was a bitch.) Anyway, he talked in this really goofy voice and was always convinced that if he thought about it enough, he could walk through walls. We'd be sitting in the lobby, and Dirk and his skinny ass little self with the big old tennis shoes, would come walking through, and the next thing you know, he's on the ground with a bruise on his forehead.

He always carried a copy of Hitchiker's Guide with him everywhere. He called it his bible.

He told me he loved me and I laughed at him.

(God I was a bitch.)

And it's funny, because as much as I picked on him at the time, he's one of the ones I remember now the most...

By dave. on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 09:38 pm:

you bitch.

By Kalliope on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 10:22 pm:

eat me. i admitted it didn't i?

By dave. on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 10:31 pm:

eat yourself.

By Kalliope on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 10:38 pm:

that'd be a neat trick.

yesireee.

By wisper on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 11:06 pm:

sad.
    stop reminding me that he's dead. I just found out today. Hail the man that brought us the mattress swamp planet, Fenchurch, and my favorite: the 'Somebody Else's Problem' disguise generator.
    Back in highschool i had to buy a large scientific calculator for math class, and i wrote DON'T PANIC on the front of it with White Out.
    42 is still the answer

By Danielssss on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 11:07 pm:

hellava good autobiography it was. now that Carl Sagan is on the other side, I bet the phrase "we are made of the stuff of the stars" has taken on new meaning for him....

By Pug on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 09:50 am:

I dug the original "Hitchiker's" trilogy a lot but between the Dirk Gently series and "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish" I think Douglas Adams ran out of steam for me....still he was there at a good time for me in my life and I'm sorry he's gone.

By Kalliope on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:06 am:

Does anyone know the Neil Gaiman book about him?

Someone mentioned it, a filthy rumor, but I don't know if it's true...

By Hal on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:10 am:

Ahh yes the ever incresingly ill named Hitchikers Trilogy.

When I was in highschool I was on the newspaper staff, we had a whole digital lab, even our darkroom was digital. (in fact that is where i became a sorabjite.) Anyway, we had gone out one night and stole the mile marker 42 sign and hung it in the wall of the darkroom. It was our pride and joy.

By Kalli on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:32 am:

Dirk used to open my notebooks when I wasn't looking, and on some random page scrawl "So Long And Thanks For The Fish" so I'd find it a month or two later when I turned to that page.

You know, I even tried to hunt that boy down on the net last night and failed.

By Hal on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:43 am:

Keep trying Kalli.... He's out there.

Probably rich as all hell too.

By Kalliope on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 10:49 am:

Yea he probably is...although I think he wanted to be a writer too..so he's probably waiting tables....

(im jaded)

It's funny when you remember someone you haven't thought of in a long time....

Sometimes I like that I'm so far away from everyone I grew up with, and sometimes, I wish I could just run next door and be there.

I'm preparing myself for this trip to Boston this weekend. It'll be a doozie.

I did a search for Dirk's name on the net and the only thing I came up with is one article he did for some little newspaper while he was in college.

Do a search for my name and I'm everywhere.

Heh.

By Hal on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 11:36 am:

Hey Kalli, what state?

I'm bored so I figured I'd do a little researching for you, see if I can find this long lost Adams fan. Figure it will be my way of showing my respects to the departed.

Email me any info you might have about said fellow, and I shall do my best.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 11:46 am:

until yesterday, i would never associate that name, to those books. I've never read a damn one of them, and most likely won't.

By Hal on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 12:36 pm:

Your going to miss out on some almost Sorabjisk insanity.

By cyst on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 01:55 pm:

the work douglas adams was important in that it interested some non-readers enough that they picked up some books. in that way his oeuvre ranks up there with, say, that of the "sweet valley high" authors.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

mmm. sweet valley high.

By cyst on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

yeah, I've read more than one of that series too.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

i have several friends that worked on that show

By semillama on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 02:05 pm:

Note to the Mgmt:

Please stop killing all my heroes.

Thank You.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact