Physics and my Amplifier

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Physics and my Amplifier
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

ok.

so i bought a David Eden "the metro" 600W bass amp. it's 600W over 2ohms and 400W over 4ohms.

i also have an SWR Workingman's 1x15T, which is rated for 200W over 8ohms.

someone explain to me if this is going to work.

By Nat on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 10:44 pm:

NOBODY FUCKING KNOWS? WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKING MORONS YOU ARE.

By dave. on Tuesday, June 5, 2001 - 11:01 pm:

shut up, nat.

By Czarina on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

Somebody needs to swat that Nat,it can be annoying at times.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

ive never heard of any of that eqiup nate....i have fender amps

By droopy on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 12:59 pm:

i've got an ampeg and a pignose. i've never understood how they worked, other than you plug the guitar in and turn them up.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 01:26 pm:

Are you trying to play one through the other? If so, logic dictates that you plug the low-powered one into the high powered one for the signal boost.

By dave. on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 02:46 pm:

i used to have a pignose. it was bitchin' until it fried. apparently, replacement amps are more expensive than the whole thing costs new.

didn't jeff blech play through a miked pignose.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

i love my little 7-100 'cause i can mount it on my wheelchair. i bought it new from a guy when i was cutting keys for the albertson's (supermarket) fleet. he was a mechanic, but he sold amplifiers and electronic equipment on the side. i got him some precision tools (which i was selling on the side) and he got me the amp.

i'm sure ol' jeff has played through just about everything.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

the SWR is just a 15" speaker.

if an amp is rated 600W over 2ohms, will it overdrive a speaker rated for 200W over 8ohms.

that's my question.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 05:05 pm:

Only if you turn it up really loud. You can probably get away with practising through it, but for playing with a band or live, you need a bigger speaker.

I think.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

why do you need someone to explain to you if it's going to work? just experiment, that's the fun. only, make sure you have ample power supply.

[i typed "supple" instead of "supply" and then fixed it.]

By Nate on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 05:30 pm:

i don't exactly want to fry a $380 speaker cabinet.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 05:30 pm:

not even in the name of art?

By patrick on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

blowing out an amp sucks.

or better yet THINKING you blew out your amp and giving it to a band mate for free is even worse. Which is how we picked up an 80watt fender bass amp.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 - 06:04 pm:

where is the fine line between art and stupidity?

i blew my 60w crate piece of shit. replaced it with the 600w eden.

my neighbors love it when i drink.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 11:41 am:

lets plug it up and find out nate!

By Nate on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:11 pm:

uh huh.

i also realized that i'm running an instrument cable to the speaker. i need a better cable.

By patrick on Thursday, June 7, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

cable is important. my turntable gets hum because they don't use silver plated or gold rc cables....i think they are brass or something.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact