The Tax Project

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: The Tax Project
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 08:59 am:

I am going to start my own little project, begining 8/1, and track every damn penny I pay in taxes. From Fed income tax to the sales tax I pay for a McDonald's cheese burger. I think I will track this for a month, just to see how much I am paying in taxes.....

By Spiral on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 10:40 am:

But that's depressing. It's not likely that you can change anything by it, so all you will get from your troubles is a headache.

By Nate on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 11:13 am:

don't you pay fed income tax on 4/15 like the rest of us?

By spunky on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 01:29 pm:

I am just curious to see how much I pay over all. Lets see here, there is:
    Utility Tax
    Usage Tax
    Property Tax
    Sales Tax
    Federal Tax
    Social Security Tax
    State Tax
    City Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Fuel Tax

There are also "sin" taxes that are not advertised to you. That is additional taxes besides sales tax added to cigarettes and alcohol

By Nate on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 01:58 pm:

fuel tax. damn. i bet that eats ya big.

don't forget the various tariffs and taxes imposed on imported goods you purchase.

By heather on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

but why?

will you stop paying?
    will you run for office?

considering you point of view it seems like it would just be frustrating

maybe then also you should investigate what you get for taxes

By patrick on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 02:11 pm:

yeah. get a hammer and you can beat your dick in the dirt endlessly.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 02:21 pm:

I do not intend to run for office or go to jail for refusing to pay it. I am curious. I know it may just end up feeling like patty's suggestion when I am finished, but still. Why not? Maybe I will find a way to publish the results, and then see what happens. I dunno.
    FOR THE FUCK OF IT

By spunky on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

PS, I know what I get for my taxes. Major US Highways with huge pot holes and big cracks that have been "capped" with asphalt that spreads across the length of the highway, like speed bumps. I have seen 5 cars pop their tires on the same pot hole over the last month alone.
    Our taxes pay to fix those roads. But, if our cars are damaged because of the conditions of the road, it becomes "drive at your own risk".
    And remember, DRIVING IS A PRIVILEDGE, NOT A RIGHT. But paying taxes to have the roads fixed is a requirement. Of course, I remember at the front of my 1040 EZ form in 1993 saying "Thank you for your Annual Contribution"
    Can you feel it baby? take it! take it! TAKE IT ALL!!!

By semillama on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

You get me for your taxes. All of my work comes from federal undertakings.

By Cat on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 04:57 pm:

I used to have a company structure so I paid 20% tax. Now they've closed the loophole so I might have to pay 47%. Unless I set something else up.

Thinking about money always leaves me feeling like I'm shallow and nasty. But then I don't want to be some silly girl without a clue about finances. I am woman, hear my share fund roar.

By spunky on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 09:29 pm:

I am working for the NSA and DoD, so I am what I get for my taxes.
    That is another thing.
    They pay me with taxes, then tax what I make.
    Is that not double taxation?

By Cat on Wednesday, July 11, 2001 - 11:21 pm:

No.

It is not double insertion either, which is a shame since I think you could use that.

By semillama on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 08:45 am:

Just give up on the tax thing spunky. You don't need any more sources of aggrievement.

Unless you are an anarchist in training. Then research away!

By patrick on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 11:14 am:

i want some double insertion.

damn trace you work for the NSA?

what exactly do they do with you? or is that classified?

By spunky on Thursday, July 12, 2001 - 11:42 am:

network security, NSA and DoD

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact