Comic Book-y

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Comic Book-y
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gee on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:03 pm:

Hi, how's everyone? Good? Good. I missed you all wildly.

Anyway, I'm going to start selling comic books. Isn't that weird? It's a big long story, but I'm really excited about it. Right now I'm just doing my research and seeing who likes what. Which is where you happy people come in.

I want to know about storylines. what is/are the best storylines you've ever read in a comic series? which one is the most memorable? which is the one that made you want to swear off comics for good? which one brought you back into the fold?

and if you want to tell me how you are, that's nice too.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:16 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:16 pm:

Are you selling books that you're making yourself?

By agatha on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:17 pm:

i missed you. i don't read many comic books, but i tend to lean towards ones like ellen forney and linda barry. hope that helps.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

GEE! GEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I've missed you!! You have to stay around for a long time and not leave, okay? You have to promise!

Did you read my posts about a month ago saying how much I missed you? I wrote that, I did. Just ask anyone.

I'm doing very well, and I hope you are too. I'm at the same job with the people I like, and I'm moving into a new apartment this week, and I'm going on vacation to Boston to see my mother in August, and I tried to dye my black hair brown on Saturday and failed.

How are you doing? Are you still in school? Are your family and house doing okay?

By Spider on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

Oh, yeah.

My comic-reading period was circa 1991-92 to 1995. Uncanny X-Men, regular X-Men, X-Factor, Wolverine, and Madman. I liked the early X-Men (I'm talking about the series started in 1991 or so) and Madman (published by DarkHorse Comics, I think) the most. Though I may be mocked for saying so, I think the character of Magneto is fascinating, and storylines having to do with him and his past always hooked me. Madman I read for the art.

I've thumbed through my brother's Preacher comics, and I think those are interesting too.

I like Lynda Barry, also. She wrote a book called "the Good Times Are Killing Me" that's neat.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

goddamnit gee. new orleans. october. asssex.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

i didnt read many comic books. the ones i had, the brief period i wanted to "collect" i stuck with the basics. My favorite was mighty mouse. But i dug Spiderman and Superman all the same. It wasnt any storyline that made me nor read them. I just found something else to do.

So all this while, we've missed (yes me too) and now we are you're marketing tools?

thats ok, ive used these people for such things in the past.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 04:00 pm:

Yeah, gee. you need to come down to NOLA with us.

I like storylines taht are allegories to important issues. I also like ones that twist your mind. I also like ones that are just plain retarded (a la "Milk and Cheese").

I really like what they are doing with the X men now, it's getting damn gritty and depressing. The Brotherhood series that just started is shaping up to be a a really good one, and I really dig the Universe X series.
    In short, I like storylines that take a chance with the characters.
    You want to know more, just email me gee. I could go on and on about comics.

And don't leave us alone for so long, we were all getting depressed.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

How about me, Gee? Did you miss me wildly too?

By Gee on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

Yes, you, all of you. wildly.

is there another sorabjifest in the works? what is this, the ten Thousandth time we've tried to work something out?

Anyway, I'm looking for specific comic book events, like when Batman broke his back or when Superman died. When Pheonix died, and when Spiderman met his clone. Stuff like that. little story arcs.

I really liked the time Kraven hunted Spiderman and buried him alive. That was cool.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 07:41 pm:

By cyst on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 07:52 pm:

By semillama on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 09:11 am:

Shit, gee, there are events like that every other issue nowadays, you know. It's getting hard to pick one out.

Hey! I thought of one! The second to last Transmetropolitan where Spider learns he has that incurable disease from the info-pollen!

Here's another: the death of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

more mainstream, hmmm....How'bout when wolverine lost his adamantium?

By semillama on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 09:24 am:

Oh and I never swore off comics, although I admit taht teh only title that kept me reading for a long time was Elfquest (when I could find it)...

By Spider on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 09:33 am:

Good one for Wolverine, Sem.

I was always partial to the issue of Defenders in which Magneto was turned into a baby, but you know me...

By patrick on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:26 am:

i love the episode of the Simpsons where the comic bookstore guy is walking down the street after the french have launched a nuke at springfield and he's strolling along, reading a comic book and he says "No No No Spidey you cannot be with Wolf Girl she has FANGS FANGS!!!!" (or something to this effect)

and he looks up and sees the nuclear missle coming right for him and says

"Ohhhh I've wasted my life" BANG!

By wisper on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 01:49 pm:

"...you cannot marry Aquagirl, you're from two different worlds!"

hey Gee. where ya been?

By Gee on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 01:31 am:

I've been working. I've been working Really hard.

I get to supervise all weekend! I'm excited! I love being in charge. also, my friend Shannon is getting married on Saturday, so I get to wear a skirt for the first time since I can remember. I really can't remember the last time I wore a skirt. huh. I'm wearing all black, and to Heck with any bad luck!

the adamantium one is good.

my problem in picking out good comics to sell is that I want to pick out the ones that I personally like, and I know that my tastes are in the minority. If I could I'd sell a whole bushel of Dazzler and Spider-Woman comics, but who in the hell would want to buy that?

You're all good folk.

By semillama on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 08:40 am:

Check out the latest X-Men unlimited Gee, featuring Dazzler.

Also, Marvel just launched a new title, called Startling Tales (i think). I picked up the first one, (titled "Banner!") because it features Richard Corben as artist. Excuse me, that's RICHARD CORBEN. Anyway, the whole title line is going to be about how would super powers or what have you really affect the character, how they deal with the consequences. I mean, rally. This one is about how would Bruce Banner really react to his actions as the Hulk (described as an atomic bomb that gets up and walks around). How would he handle the knowledge that he's responsible for the deaths and dismemberments of so many people? (You can't bring down a building without killing people)

The ending says it all.

I strongly recommend this book to any comic fan.

By agatha on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 11:20 am:

I am looking at a comic book right now called "Rollercoaster", by Rich Tommaso. I must say, it is most excellent. I have never heard of this guy, but if you haven't already you may want to check him out. He's on Fantagraphics.

By J on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 12:07 pm:

I use to like Zap comics and Mr. Natural,I went through a whole phase,when either something was natural or unatural,I used the word alot,till some people started calling me miss unatural,that was a looong time ago.

By cyst on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 12:34 pm:

fantagraphics is fantastic. isn't mr. natural a robert crumb creation? he's on fantagraphics.

By J on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 12:48 pm:

Yes,Crumb did Mr.Natural,my other favorite comic character was the Checkerd Demon,by S.Clay Wilson,that was a scream,at least tripping.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 11:56 pm:

Gee, need email, stop.
    contact soon, stop.
    the end

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact