Dig

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Dig
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 11:38 am:

After watching that docudrama last night, hearing paleopathologists, anthropologists and archeologists talk on and on, i realized how fascinating their work is.

Taking a 500 year old coffin, thats been sitting in earth and dating and locating the wood its made of. Doing carbon tests to date bones....and on and on and on.

Its absolutely amazing.

so

Sem, tell as about what you dig.

What do you find? I have another archeologist friend, whom I ask this all the time.

What do you dig?

(hell what do any of you dig?)

By Nate on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 12:22 pm:

i dug a pair of jockeys out of a pile of clothes this morning.

viola!

By semillama on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

I specialize in 19th century industrial sites and 19th century domestic sites, but as part of my job I'm excavating more and more prehistoric sites as well. All of my work is tied into development. Basically, I dig what my company gets contracts to dig. This involves three basic phases: Phase 1, which is survey or going out and looking for sites in an area that is supposed to get a new housing development or a new road. This can be as simple in some areas as walking the area over and noting any artifacts or features, but most often involves laying out a grid over the area and digging a 2 foot square hole every 15 yards or so. (I'm using english measure here as most folks are familiar with that as opposed to metric, which we actually use). Phase 2 involves assessing sites after they are located by Phase 1 for significance. This involves digging larger holes (a little smaller than graves, incidently) to determine how distrubed the site is and what the potential for intact features is. The standard for significance is whether it meets a set of criteria for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places (NHRP, or the Register for short). For prehistoric sites, it usually means whether or not significant data can be recovered.
    Phase 3 is done when the site isn't significant enough to be avoided by the development but significant enough to warrant a full scale excavation like you see on TV. These type of projects are what every archaeologist loves to do as you get to dig (usually) pretty neat sites with lots of features and artifacts and you get great data with which to publish articles and pad your CV.

Ok, that's the background. What I have been specifically digging lately have been the Phase 1 projects, which didn't turn up anything. One was for a wetland restoration and another for a housing project for Naval officers in Mississippi. Before that, we had two of teh big Phase 3 projects, one prehistoric site which actually was a bust (no good features, few artifacts, so there wasn't anything we could say about the site), and the brick factory I was initially hired on for. I'm currently writing the report for the factory and it's up to 102 pages of just text so far, and probably will double at least when the appendices and figures are added.
    Basically, for each hour in the field, we spend at least 4 in the office working on artifacts and reports.

Anyway, we have a couple more projects coming up, another Phase 1 at Parris Island, South Carolina (which means I'm going to Savannah after we finish digging), and a huge multi-site Phase 3 in the best area in Ohio for prehistoric sites, center of the Hopewell Mound builder culture. That should be awesome.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

are those the snake-like burial mounds in Ohio?

im diggin in my wallet for a little change.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 12:39 pm:

Yeah, same culture. We aren't diggin any mounds, but a couple of the sites are related to nearby mound sites. The other sites are connected to early cultures, about 6000-8000 years ago.

By cyst on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

I got a b.a. in physical anthropology with a specialty in paleoanthropology (the study of human evolution through the fossil record).

I didn't get far in archeology because I just couldn't get all worked up about arrowheads and pottery shards.

and I learned to loathe cultural anthropology, whose scholars sometimes paid their native informants for stories with firearms.

and the paleoanthropologists may be the worst of a bad lot. every time they find another ancient molar in africa, they rewrite the whole story of human evolution. which is fine, but it seems kind of useless to fabricate these intricate histories when the actual fossil record is so limited. I mean, I think they should all admit that they don't know shit.

By Hal on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

This is all...

so...

so...

Facinating.

I think I wet myself.

By J on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

I live right across the street from the A.S.U. research park,when we first moved here and the kids were young,I took them there after the sun came out after a long rain.We found some broken Indian pottery and an arrowhead.Looks like somebody could have used Sem's services.I also took my Indian Maiden tribe on a dig,that I got to go to through my husbands work.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

I agree with cyst, which is why I went into historical archaeology, where we have at least some documents to back up our wild-ass claims.

By Czarina on Thursday, August 2, 2001 - 09:31 am:

Sem,I'll personally back up any of your wild-ass claims!

By Daniel ssss on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 02:15 am:

I visit Cahokia several times a year and am always in awe of the place. Sem, come dig at my teacher's 500 acre organic herb farm and natural preserve, where there are at least two mounds, a good trout stream, and boulders on top of a ridge left over from a meteor...it's called the Crooked Creek (exfoliated) Structure outside Steeleville Missouri, population center of the US in the census previous to the last.

And Czarina, I'll personally back up any of your wild-ass claims, as well as Sem's.

By semillama on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 09:06 am:

It's probably better if nobody digs there. If it's preserved,keep it that way.

By Antigone on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 10:55 am:

Naw, dig it all up!

As one civil engineer friend of mine says, "Pave the world!"

By TBone on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 11:14 am:

The Japanese are well on their way to paving their island...

When they run out of ground to pave, they make more land. Extend their island a little, and pave that... Making concrete cities nobody lives in.

By patrick on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 11:18 am:

The fuck Army Core of Engineers wants to go and dredge the cement embanked LA river again, after wildlife has started to flourish again. Dumbfucks "..if its green and in the way MOW IT".

By semillama on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 11:58 am:

The COE is where you go when you are too incompetent to get work any where else in your field.

Remember this the next time you cross a bridge.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 03:17 pm:

I agree. The COE made the front page about some idiocy they are involved in with wetlands along the Ol Muddy here. Apparently the environmentalist interest didn't have enough dinero to sway their help. Retrenching the Mississippi to keep it clean would be too sensible an idea.

I also agree that the exfoliated structure ought be preserved. It's far enough in the boonies that little or no development ought reach it in a humndred years. But it is a geological curiosity of undetermined origin. The mounds, as far as we know from journeying and past life stuff and folklore of the area, were mounds used by women during menstruation, and prior to that, for the ritual bloodletting of the sacrificial animals and most likely humans some thousands of years ago in order to assuage and gain favor from the gods of agriculture as well as war.

Hell, don't even ask me how I know this stuff. It's all conjecture, Czarina would say, and Sem, you're prolly getting a good laugh. But it is the way the locals have -- for a long time -- understood the meaning of the place.

It is sacred space. Yeah, as if some of space weren't. Isn't that the real problem: humanity's attitude toward the dirt we walk on and the air we breath and the water we drink and the heat of the sun reflecting off the ashphalt...

don't get me going. I have been good for a long time. Somehow, I think it is nice to be back for the abuse, right?

By semillama on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 03:51 pm:

It's a nice story.

Utterly unprovable, but nice. A good way to isolate a menstruating woman, stick her up on a mound.

They're probably graves, though.

By Spider on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

Dag, Sem, why you gotta get all *archaeological* on a motherfucker?

By semillama on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 04:41 pm:

That's jus' how I be. Chill, fool.

By The Watcher on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 05:20 pm:

I once took a course in local history at the area community college.

While doing research for my term paper on an old Iron works I realized most history books are pure conjecture and BS on the part of the writer.

I mean I had two hundred year old letters in my hands. And, I wasn't coming to the same conclusions as my professor who had written a chapter in his book on the same subject.

When you have the Original Documents in front of you and they don't say what history texts say; you know it's pure BS.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 07:09 pm:

No I don't think they are burial mounds. There are gravesites on the property, and there are recent burials there from the Trail of Tears march. And there are graves over the creek across the road for the last two hundred years.

I think the locals are right on this one. And everything I have read on the area, the times of Trails of Tears, and even the conjectures of the prehistory: it's all book stuff.

I offer these words I ran across today in my mentor Tom Cowan's writings:

"Immerse yourself in nature, observe the seasons, live consciously beneath the night sky, study the habits of birds and animals. Explore your dreams and take them seriously. Find places and ways to see and enter the Other, and remember what you find and do there. And, when you have done these things, if there is time, read books."

By Hugo on Saturday, August 4, 2001 - 12:21 am:

"While doing research for my term paper on an old Iron works I realized most history books are pure conjecture and BS on the part of the writer."

That's pretty amazing that you managed to figure out "most history books" based on one course at a community college.
    Perhaps you're generalizing just a bit.

I saw something that was true on a computer screen once. I guess I should believe everything I see on computer screens, huh?

By pez on Saturday, August 4, 2001 - 03:32 am:

regurgitated bullshit.

if you're intelligent, you can come to your own thoughts without having someone else fabricate them for you.

the best teachers like it when you raise a valid point and ask them an honest question contradicting what they say. it shows that you think about things.

certificates, grades and diplomas mean nothing. that you obey their bullshit rules, yes. that you're a brownnoser, yes. that you actually know the stuff, no.*

*said the girl that set the curves on all the tests and failed the class without cheating or guessing.

By semillama on Saturday, August 4, 2001 - 02:57 pm:

That's BS as well. There is a certain amount of truth to it, but it's unfair to those who actually do take courses and actually do learn things and know "the stuff" as you put it. I owrked damn hard to get my Master's dregree so fuck you if you say it means nothing. It means a lot to me.

(on the mounds: it's pure conjecture here without seeing them, or doing non-invasive remote sensing on them preferably, but from what I know about mounds, especially in Daniel SSSS's part of the country, they predate the history books by a couple thousand years, give or take a few hundred. That whole area was covered with mounds, most got obliterated when the white folks showed up with their plows. Cahokia even had an interstae built through it.)

By heather on Saturday, August 4, 2001 - 08:19 pm:

the only possible reason that humanity thinks we all need to learn 'facts' over and over is because, well, i don't know. a symbol? a place-keeper? are they really important at all?

it must be a trick

you can't learn it all and after you someone new will have to learn it and why?

i'm actually most proud of the things i learned about me, maybe this is just our current historical place to learn ourselves

By TBone on Sunday, August 5, 2001 - 04:36 am:

It's awsome if you come out of college having learned "stuff" AND having recieved a degree. This probably takes hard work.

The two just aren't necessarily linked all that well.
    But I'm trying to learn to play the game. I have a lot of catching up to do.

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, August 5, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

right on sem, though I see Pezzie's points.

I spent a long ten years in school post secondary, from the first freshman class to the end of my doctoral program and my post doc...but nature is my teacher now, as it was before I went to school in the hills of Appalachia.

I still am burdened with books-- buy them, browse them, use them for reference, but by and large I learn from the trees out of which the books are made more than from the pages on which someone's version of this or that is contrived. That's the old druidic vein in me.

Regarding the cradle of civilization that most midwesterners simply ignore, Cahokia...

Strangely enough, "we" wouldn't have what we have "reconstructed" at Cahokia had it not been for the menace of the interstate threatening it all. The interpretive center there has one of the best displays on what contemporary archeology entails. The entire site is fascinating, and certainly magical to some. There's lots history and spirit there.

According to what little I know, most of the mounds in the immediate St. Louis area were either plowed under for agriculture, or later, bulldozed to make way for urban development. St. Louis is interesting for that, and for the catacomb like cave systems underneath it all, and for the Irish pubs built on top of them, and of course, the German influences of the breweries built there as well. There must be a certain amount of Clydesdales' shit there too. The north area of city is even known as "Mound City."

The nice thing about the mounds on my teacher's sanctuary/property is that they are undisturbed except for the natural erosion of the watercourse (Crooked Creek) changing its banks countless times over the last 1000 years. Many of the more rural sites, I think, but don't know for sure, have been overrun by lead mines in the area. Keyesville escaped this fate.

Off to recycling.

By pez on Sunday, August 5, 2001 - 02:11 pm:

yes, yes! the source luke, use the source!

i understand that it's hard work getting a degree, but you'll have to admit that there's usually a lot of bs involved.

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, August 5, 2001 - 09:32 pm:

Yes, and don't stop until you are finished, and make sure you finish.

And don't stop writing no matter what.

Speaking of which,

By semillama on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 08:56 am:

It all depends on the college, the course of study, and your profs. Once you hit college for a while, Pez, you'll see this.

I will say that one of the big lessons in college is learning to distinguish BS from a distance so that you know which courses and profs to avoid in the first place.

By Hal on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 10:51 am:

The world is BS, not just college. I'm sorry, but its not just the world of the post secondary education system that revolves around a huge system of BS. Its the whole friggin world people, a job has its own sense of BS, having kids does, everything does, and we only don't see it (or do) because we are so use to it, we see it everyday.

By patrick on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 11:19 am:

its early, im tired, you all suck.

By patrick on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 11:20 am:

well, not really,

but i feel like being surly.

By Hal on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 11:52 am:

Well whatever the reason...

Ass.

By pez on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 11:54 am:

but why do we obey all these unneccessaries?

we could have most people graduating from high school at least two years early if we eliminated a lot of this bs, maybe even more.

but right now i need brekkast. foood! fooooooooooD!

By semillama on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:00 pm:

You haven't taken to wearing party hats, have you Pez? Just checking.

By patrick on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

i don't think you know whats necessary and what isnt pez. you havent figured out a way to get out of your parents house. hell i dont even know whats necessary and what isnt.

but for the sake of argument... what, to you, is uneccessary and bullshit?

By agatha on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:07 pm:

kids aren't ready to graduate from high school at age sixteen. there's a reason for all that bullshit.

By pez on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:15 pm:

learning about the constitution and the american revolution at least four to five times during eight years of school.

ending the school year, doing nothing with math all summer, then relearning half of what you did before just fine.

teachers who decide that they'll do no work whatsoever and pile on about four or five mega projects on you just because they can.

teachers that teach straight out of the textbook with little or no additional material.

i don't mean to dis teachers or anything, but the people who are really interested in their subjects aren't teaching in places that are very accessable.

i have no problem with learning,but teachers i have problems with. the science teacher that decided to flunk me senior year because i wasn't "documenting my project time properly" (he knew what i was doing, i spent somewhere around at least ten hours per week on that thing) and told me that he thought i was the smartest person in the class and he'd give me an a if i only did it right but wouldn't explain how if i asked. environmental biology was the class. i liked the topic a lot, the first term i got a b, but the second term he laid us down with so much work i hardly had the time for my ap classes.

but anyway. i try to blame others for my own problems. i shouldn't do it.

By Hal on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:39 pm:

I think Half of what I learned in highschool that wasn't taught
    to me by someone who made it interesting was forgotten/.
    I remember my AP English my senior year, that was taught by a guy named Pat Evans.
    Man was insane, but extreamly good at what he did.

I also remember my physics 1 (h), and Physics 2 classes, Mr.Swenson was a true physics geek.
    He would show up for class wearing sweats no shower and drinking coffee out of a huge mug because he just woke up. And then he would play with fire, or piss the teacher off downstairs by dropping
    ball bearings on the floor.

I miss those parts of highschool, I however don't miss the parts
    where I sat not learning anything from people who didn't want to be teaching, and when I would do something of my own, they would bitch because their time was more important then mine. Well fuck them, they never taught me anything and thats what they were being paid for so fuck them. Some people's fucking kids.

By patrick on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

you should just get a personal tutor pez, you can tell them how to teach you.

By Spider on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

The worst teacher I ever had was Sr. Marie Therese - 12th grade AP English. I think I've posted about her before. I wrote a 10-page essay on Edna St. Vincent Millay, and she took points off for my margins not being precisely 1" all around and my title not being smack in the middle of the page, and all she had to say about what I actually wrote was "good content." I got a freaking B+ on the paper because my margins were off.

Her lit tests were fill-in-the-blank, as in "Mr. Rochester's dog was named _____________."

AP English.

By pez on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:49 pm:

that totally makes sense.

people who don't want to be teaching to be teaching to people who don't want to be learning.

because the government says so. and they tell you that you won't succeed unless you go to college and end up a doctor or something.

how do we measure success, by how quickly a person goes to sleep after work?

By patrick on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:59 pm:

one of the greatest teachers i had was my AP US History teacher. he was also the head football coach.

the greatest lesson i learned (and am still learning) that things arent always what they seem.

things arent always what they seem pez.

By Antigone on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 12:59 pm:

Yes.

By that measure, I suck.

Works fer me!

By Nate on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

if we paid teachers the way we pay engineers, we'd have quality teachers.

unfortunately, society only talks about valueing education.

By TBone on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

I was looking up the average salary for various proffessions last week. I found a long list, and down toward the bottom, education was right under non-profit orgs.

By Cat on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

One of the big problems we're looking at is that all the smart kids are being lured by the earning potential and travel opportunities of computer science. Once upon a time, a smart kid went into the medical field or perhaps engineering but now they're all being soaked up by IT. So I'd hate to think how teaching is managing to attract good quality candidates.

By Nate on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 05:04 pm:

i'll be a highschool teacher in the next 10 years.

By cyst on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 05:14 pm:

yeah, I know a lot of people who plan to make their money first, then go teach for the personal reward of it.

but teaching isn't a good first career for anyone who needs to earn a decent salary in a big or mid-sized city. isn't a starting teacher's salary in the 20s or something?

By Nate on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

my roommate's girlfriend started her teaching career at in the low 40's. she's right out of college, her students are 2nd graders. she's not even credentialed yet.

this is los gatos, though.

By patrick on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 05:42 pm:

i just sent a postcard to a los gatos boutique.

Bella Rosa Boutique.

Im so damned keen when it comes to marketing and sales.

I just went to a comparable desginers website, and snagged their retailer list or the "where to buy" list.

the database grows.

By cyst on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 07:06 pm:

hmm, low 40s isn't bad for a summers-off job.

By Nate on Monday, August 6, 2001 - 07:31 pm:

no, not at all.

maybe like low 60s for a normal job? considering winter and spring breaks?

days like these i get tempted to sell everything and start new. capitalism is a lot of responsibility.

By pez on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 01:42 am:

the highschools in my area are open in the summer. no school, but the teachers are there, making plans on projects for CIM and CAM.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 08:38 am:

Damn I barely crack the 30s. Of course, cost of living must factor into it.

By Spider on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 09:09 am:

I don't crack the 30s. But I'm not a teacher.

My mom taught in a Catholic school. Took her 15 years to make 45, with a Masters plus 40 credits. Now she's a student and a secretary and makes less than I do and will for a while.

By Hal on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 11:11 am:

Not with teachers here Pez, yeah a few are scatterd throughout the highschools every summer, but not often and very few if so.
    Most split just like the students do, which is sad in a way.

By TBone on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 11:20 am:

They "split" because they aren't getting paid.

Wouldn't you?

By Spider on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 11:24 am:

Hal, if you had to spend 8+ hours of your day performing on your feet, trying to impart knowledge and maybe even wisdom to a bunch of unruly, surly teenagers whose collective IQ hovers somewhere around room temperature and who are more concerned with the fluctuations of their hormones than with the nuances of Italian grammar, you would split too.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 11:32 am:

i look forward to having the chance to show some unruly teenagers that reading and writing is as important as their hormone fluctuations.

ahHAHAH SPIDER. PICTURE ME SHAPING SOME SUBSET OF AMERICA'S YOUTH. AHAHHAH SPIDER!

By patrick on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 11:52 am:

damn sem....i barely crack the 30s, and you see how studious i am.

have you thought about taking your expertise elsewhere, on a more scholarly level than civil service? if not just simply for the money?

By semillama on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 12:08 pm:

My pay level is about as good as it gets for an archaeologist in my position with my experience, I'm sorry to say. No one goes into archaeology for the money.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 12:44 pm:

so why does one go into archaeology?

By wisper on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

for the chicks, dumbass.
    and for the free admission to cloned dinosaur themeparks.

goddamn Jurrasic Park 2 sucked.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

Chicks, hah! ha ha!

I am an archaeologist because that's what I like to do. It so happens that I can make a very modest living at it.

By Alex on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 01:57 pm:

(I'm using english measure here as most folks are familiar with that as opposed to metric, which we actually use).

Dont mean to be picky, but heck, I am. The English use Metric, not Imperial measurements! havnt done for years!

We have 6 Anglo-Saxon burial mounds near here,local legend has it that they are the remains of giant mud balls an angry giant was throwing, one was supposed to have hit a nearby village church, knocking the tower wonky!

Now however, they sit outside an early 80's office block, next to a main road and large roundabout, with a small A3 sized sign telling people what they are.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 02:17 pm:

wonky? what the fuck is your problem?

wonky?

By pez on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 02:35 pm:

but you still use miles, not kilometers, on the roads. as of two years ago.

tell me that's metric!

i used to want to teach, but if i do, it won't be in a public school. seminars or private classes maybe, or homeschooled students.

By wisper on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 02:58 pm:

they use miles on roads?
    wtf

By cyst on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 03:17 pm:

and british pubs serve beer in pint glasses, not those wonderful half-liters used in the rest of europe.

By cyst on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 03:18 pm:

and don't you weight yourselves in stones or some shit?

By Hal on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 03:46 pm:

I actually would like to teach teenagers something, its the little kids I couldn't teach.
    Teenagers are easy to manipulate, I know I am one.
    Its all a matter of how you do it, just use their raging hormones against them for a greater pourpose.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

i'd rather have a british pint of beer. more beer!

By cyst on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 04:11 pm:

oh yeah, there's that "imperial pint" thing. 20 oz.?

By Nate on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 04:17 pm:

yessum!

By semillama on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

The strongest argument against going metric, in my book.

It's called "english" measurement here in the States. Go figure.

I had a Canadian friend when I lived in Detroit who freaked us out one night while coming back from the bar, using one of the big monster highways. He told us he was doing 120 mph and sure enough, the digital readout in his dash said "120" in big glowing blue numerals. We were all telling him to slow done when he pointed out that his car was also Canadian and we were looking at kph. His nickname was "Bubba."

By pez on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 04:32 pm:

i'd rather teach little kids while they still have interest, enthusiasm. and i could use puppets.

and we'd use the british metric system and develop elaborate conversion tables so they'd be better at math than college physics professors.

j/k.

By cyst on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

does anyone else think that the peevish-looking red-tank-top girl in mark's current big picture is really pretty hot?

By Nate on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 05:04 pm:

i like the ass in the previous pic.

By TBone on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 05:05 pm:

Yes, cyst. I do.

By Hal on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

I don't know the pic of the old guy was pretty cool. Somehow I'm thinking that girl falls into the catagory "15 will get you 20" as for the ass Nate, I'll agree.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 05:09 pm:

she looks pretty sultry in that pose. i like it. Im not sure i would deem her a "hot" (in all honesty cyst, you are more of a "hottie" than she is, is that weird of me to say?) She has that weird Sharon Stone hair doo thing going on, but she has the body type im really attracted to.

I don't think id have the patience to teach anyone. But i have considered having photo workshops for kids at my studio. I love to go on and on about photography, and perhaps when Im older I will do that.

By J on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

In old England,beer was served in pints and quarts,so when the customers got unruly the barkeep would tell them to mind their pints and quarts.This is where the expression to mind your p's and q's came from.

By cyst on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 05:51 pm:

oh, I guess it's a halter top, not a tank top.

I'm not that hot. I got my hair butchered on saturday. I still don't understand why, when you tell a hairdresser you want your hair to be chin-length, they proceed to pull your wet hair down tight against your chin and cut it there. I mean, come on. I'm not even a hairdresser, but I understand that when you stop pulling on the hair and it dries, it is going to be shorter than where it was cut, you know?

my hair is an inch too short. which is fine, I guess. it just means that instead of having good hair now, I will have good hair in a month.

(I even showed her a fucking picture, goddamn it.)

I've been working on getting into bikini shape. gym five times a week without fail. I've lost ten pounds. still, I wish I had big tits like halter-top girl.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 06:04 pm:

She doesn't really have big tits, I don't think. She is pretty cute though. Not as cute as the subway girl (remember her?). I'm trying to picture Cyst with chin length hair and I can't. Although I bet she looks hot <grin, wink>

I mysteriously lost an inch of my flab and five pounds during the last two weeks. I don't know how that happened, it was after I got out of the field, not during. And, my mom was here and we ate the bacon fat potatoes and bbq and chinese food and greek food and Tim Hortons. And I was sick. I don't get it, but I am not complaining.
    I'm trying to switch over to fruits for snacks, but I find one side effect is that I crave things like cookies and ice cream way more than when I wouldn't snack much.

I'm sorry, I forgot what we were talking about.

By cyst on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 06:07 pm:

you're right. I went back and checked. she doesn't have big tits.

she just looks like someone who would have big tits.

By J on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

I've been eating a lot of fruit lately,melons,berries,they make me shit like a goose.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

i have no idea how much i weight, but this god damn catalog is pushing me to the edge. I feel like my stress is wearing my body down. I just handed over the last 10 images to the printer. I feel like its half assed, and some of it was, but it has to do.

almost done, almost done.

no, if she had big tits, i wouldnt have said what i said, and im not a big fan big breastesesesesss.

have you considered breast work cyst?

By cyst on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 06:49 pm:

no. I have good form and shape. I'm afraid if I stuffed anything else in there, they'd head south.

besides, I'm philosophically ok with removal surgery, but I still think it's sort of weird to have anything added.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 7, 2001 - 07:03 pm:

just curious. i think breast jobs are horrific, and am perplexed why anyone gets them.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact