words words words

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: words words words
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 02:02 am:

i buried a cat today.

i woke up "early" today. i was at "work" before eight am. i accepted a "letter of assignment". i filled out a "british work permit application". i read a "document".

i ate lunch with work people. i heard jokes about bin laden. they called it mom's potato salad but it wasn't.

i drank a rum and diet pepsi from a winnie the pooh pint glass,

in a pint glass:

half way up ice
    half way up whalers dark rum
    top off with diet pepsi

i drank a blue sky "ginger gale" and rum from a winnie the pooh pint glass,

in a pint glass:

one point five inches ice
    half way up whalers dark rum
    top off with blue sky "ginger gale" soft drink

i smoked copious amounts of ganja (as they might say in the movies.)

i buried a cat today.

just before puberty i began digging a hole in the far corner of my parents' backyard. back where i used to build forts before i was too old to build forts; back behind the apple and plum trees, where the apricot used to be.

i dug this hole out of the hard adobe with a pick and a shovel. it took me a month. fucking adobe. it took me a month to get a hole i could stand in. as deep as mid-thigh on a thirteen year old.

we had a little black dauschund. the runt of the litter, we were told. german dog, dauschunds, so we'll name her gretel, we were told. little black dauschund with little brown eyebrows and patches of elephant skin.

she had these soft puffs just where her ears met the back of her head. i once saw her bloated after eating a box of super-chip chocolate chip cookies. the whole thing, she looked like a football nearly bursting.

about the time i stopped digging my hole, gretel was dying. her hips went. she threw a disc in her back. her elephant skin was taking over. her teeth were falling out and her kibble would squeek as she ate it.

my brother would take her out and introduce her to my hole.

we eventually put her down and buried her in that hole. i nailed together a cross out of two strips of scrap wood and marked her grave. my dad cut down the apple tree and then the plum tree. they planted a giant lavetera bush, but never took down the cross.

today i buried a cat.

yesterday my roommate came home and said, "nate, do you know there is a dead cat in a box outside your gate?"

uh, no. i went out side, opened my front gate, and there it was. a black cat with white belly white paws, dead in a box. a cat i've seen before, a neighborhood cat. not my cat. dead.

i look at it for a minute. legs are weird, paws facing in odd directions. must have been hit by a car. but why would someone put a dead cat in a box in front of my house?

i go back in the house. i tell my roommate, "there's a dead cat just outside the gate." yeah, he knows. i call the sheriff, "uh, yeah. i have a dead cat in a box out front my house. uh, no i don't know if it is malicious. no, i doubt it. i don't know, i just thought you might want to know. yeah, i'll dispose of it."

i didn't even want to look at it again. i go have sex. phone rings to voicemail. time passes i forget about the cat.

i go to make a phone call realize there's voicemail. it's my next-door neighbor, angel. "uh, hi nate, this is angel from next door. there's a dead cat in a box out in front of your house. i hope it's not yours, kid." click.

i'm sitting in the la-z-boy, laptop in lap, working. i'm facing the front door's twelve windows. i hear a yell.

it's the neighbor boy. i call him little man. he might be in the nine years old region. he has his head stuck through my fence and is yelling something at me. i get up and open the door.

"what?"

"dude, your cat is dead."

"no she's not."

"yeah, dude, your cat is dead in a box out there." he indicates the other side of my gate.

"no, she's right there." i indicate the fat tortiseshell watching us from just inside the house.

"come check out this dead cat in a box, then."

"ok."

i meet the boy just outside my front gate and we look at the dead cat for awhile. he doesn't look like he was hit hard, just his feet are at odd angles. i imagine picking him up, pose stiff with rigor mortis. i cringe.

"i wonder who'd put a dead cat in a box in front of my house." i wonder aloud.

"wasn't us!" the kid is adamant. i thought they'd done it.

i decided to leave the cat out overnight. i figured if a coyote didn't come and drag it away, i could shovel it into the trash when i put the cans to the curb.

in the morning i stepped over a dead cat in a box on my way to my car. nothing had disturbed it over night. i drove to work.

when i got home the cat lay still. someone had put some dirt on top of it. a bit of redwood needles lay on its side.

i dragged the cans outside the gate. recycling and trash. i put the trash can next to the dead cat and went for a shovel. i looked at the cat. a few cars drove by. i put the trash can next to the recycling can, down the street a bit.

i went back inside my yard. wearing my black, shiny, silver-buckled patent leather work shoes i dug a suitable hole in hard earth of my front yard. from the front window a fat tortiseshell sat tall and attentive, watching.

she didn't move, the tortie, when i stopped digging and went for the dead cat. i planned on shoveling the corpse into the hole, but decided to lift it in its box instead. i carried it into my yard, slid the dead cat into the hole. the two front legs, rigor mortised towards the sun, looked like they might breach the surface when the hole was filled. i gently rearranged the dead cat with the shovel, filled the hole, covered the mound with flagstones.

i buried a cat today.

By dave. on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 03:21 am:

shut up, stan.

By Nate on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:53 am:

weenie.

By patrick on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 11:29 am:

dead cat in a box.

makes me think of a brautigan story. im not sure which one though.

By Morris on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 11:57 am:

...any cat's death diminishes me, because I am involved as a sales-cat for Purina Cat Chow, therefore, never send to know for whom the great Meow in the sky cries, it cries for thee, little furry one.

By Czarina on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

I've never trusted your weird,rodent fixated neighbor,Angel.

And Morris,heed my words:

"You shouldn't,either."

By J on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:28 pm:

Maybe it's an Italian thing,like finding a dead bird on your doorstep with a nail in it's chest,or a horse head in your bed.

By Hal on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

Dude we had a Samoyan when I was a kid, he use to dig his own holes, purebread they are only suppose to live to 8-10 years old. He live to be 14, one day he was walking around are back yard and stepped in a hole he'd dug in his younger days, he had bad hips, and they went out when he stepped in the hole... It broke his back.

The next morning I took him in to be put down, he was the family dog, but I didn't have school until 10, and everyone else had to be somewhere at 8, so I took him in. I didn't go to school that day, and I could barely see through my eyes to drive home.
    They cremated him, and put him in this little green and blue can, I thought it wasn't right and that it looked like a cookie can. THe family couldn't decide what to do with the cookie can, and so they left it on the mantle. I didn't htink that was right either, he was an outside dog and was outside most of his life, he loved it out there, he'd freak out everytime you let him inside it scared him.
    I took the can out that night and buried it in a BIG hole in the corner, he worked on that hole since he was a puppy, didn't go anywhere just down, was about 4 feet deep, I think he hit clay. But I buried him.
    No one even noticed.

By Marmaduke on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:35 pm:

...any dog's death diminishes me, because I am involved as a cartoon dog, therefore, never send to know for whom the great WOOF-WOOF in the sky barks, it barks for thee, big furry one.

By Peanuts on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:44 pm:

I always hated that Charlie Brown.

By Snoopy on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

Ooooops,that was suspossed to read:

I always hated that Peanuts.

By Garfield on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

...any lasagna's death diminishes me, because I am involved as a lasagna lover, therefore, never send to know for whom the great SLURP SLURP in the sky barks, it MEOWS for thee, big furry one.

Why didn't they just leave a lasagna on your front door? Or Odie.

By H.U.D. on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

Because everyone knows that its a federal offense to bury pre-packeged pasta in California,unless you have squatters rights.

And Nate may be alot of things,but he's no squatter.

By pez on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

what about post-packaged pasta?

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 12:10 pm:

I have a cat by the name of Pumpkin. He's extremely fat and lays down when he eats. He sleeps behind my head every night, on my pillow. I like him so much that recently i have been thinking, "what do i do when he dies? i need a back up" so i got another orange cat, hes a kitten. his name is Pippen, but we often call him Pippers. Well, i made the mistake of giving him meat too early. Now he won't eat anything else. we put him on our back porch. When i open the door he attacks me, thinking that i have meat. He scares me.
    Anyway, Ive had to bury many, many, cats. We own about 8 at the moment but have owned as many as 25 at one time.

By Eri on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

I only have two cats. Believe it or not, I am highly allergic to them. I have a longhaired siamese/seal point lynx named muffin. I could give her food constantly and she would never be fat. Her ribs just stick out all of the time. My other cat (Sidney) hardly ever eats and weighs almost as much as my two year old.

My parents have a ranch in the country and have a total of 7 cats right now. They have lost a lot of them over the years. They also have like 5 horses (better known as the yard ornaments, cuz they don't ride or show or anything anymore). They spent $1,700 when one of the yard ornaments got sick instead of putting it down. Poor horse, died 2 weeks later anyways.

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, November 6, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

Beautiful story nate. I love it.

Too bad it wan't 5 Ded Frogs in a Box.

Then it would have been a happy story.

Instead, it was different.

LS

By The Watcher on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 04:21 pm:

Thought for today

A man with millions in the bank who gives you $100 has given you nothing.

A man with nothing in the bank who gives you a dollar has given you a fortune.

And, both should be thanked greatfully and graciously.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 06:01 pm:

The first sounds like a tax cut.

The second sounds like the distraction for a pickpocket.

A man who gives you eternal salvation or triple your money back is J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, Hallejujay!

By Czarina on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

Praise Bob!

By semillama on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

Yes! I just got a new hat and shirt, and a button and stickers from "bob" - me happy now.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact